Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue following TSX IM install

Hey all, looking for some help following install of the TSX IM on my 03 accord. Seemed fine last night, but driving in this morning, the car has a really high idle. I haven’t had a chance to take a look at it yet, will over lunch, but was hoping for some input.

I am thinking the throttle plate is being held open somehow. Or that possibly there is a leak somewhere. Does anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
High idle is probably a vacuum leak. Did you reconnect all hoses to the throttle body and IM? Also did you replace the gaskets when you did the install?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will double check all the hoses. IIRC there were three? I didn't replace the gaskets, they looked to be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a look at it over lunch. Turned out the throttle cable was pulled to tight and the throttle plate was being held open. Adjusted the cable and all is well again.

Seems weird that I haven't seen this issue listed in any of the installation instructions I have read. It is defenitely something to look out for since it as almost like having a stuck throttle. The car would basically do 35-40 on its own and I had to hold the brakes to slow it down and get it to a stop, not fun. My fault for not taking it for a test drive last night.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. How do you like the extra power?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you got it fixed. How do you like the extra power?
It's great! My wife bought this car new and I have been driving it off and on for the last 7 years. For the last 3 or so it has been my DD (95K on it now).

I have gotten so used to the initial lag it really seems strange that it is just not there any more. At the low end, it is like a different engine. That is the biggest change for me. It really improves the way the car gets away from a stop.

This is definitely a worthwhile mod. I found it on CL for $70 and thought it was a great deal. Found out later it was not a super price, but still well worth the money. Fuel rail, MAP sensor, injectors were all in there too, not really sure what value they have if any. I have a CAI too, so the two seem to work well together.

Installation was straight forward; the only snag was getting to the nut on the underside of the manifold. I just ended up going from underneath the car. With enough extensions and u-joint it was no problem. I also removed the bolt that held the bracket to the motor/trans, and the manifold came right out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I will double check all the hoses. IIRC there were three? I didn't replace the gaskets, they looked to be in pretty good shape.
So you didnt replace the IM Gasket and it worked fine?......well besides your throttle cable issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you didnt replace the IM Gasket and it worked fine?......
Yeah, if a paper gasket like the TB one is in good shape, I just add a very light coating of silicone to surface and put it back together.

The IM gasket is metal and can be re-used from what I understand. Cant really see a reason not to, I just cleaned all the surfaces well and put it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts