Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car only has 165K miles on it.
Have had no troubles w/ it until the other day.
While highway driving, it feels like the steering disengages for a second,
then the front end starts to shimmy.
Then its like the steering partially re-engages, still shimmying, yet turning the wheel turns the vehicle turns accurately.
Then the shimmy quits, then it comes back.
I've had it up in the air, running & in gear.
No clicks, no ball joint slop, no wobby axles. . . .what the?
If anyone has experience, please reply.
Thanks,

·
Cruising in Montana
4,177 Posts
Do you have enough power steering fluid? Or maybe it would be better just to drain the system and refill with new stuff, given the age of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have enough power steering fluid? Or maybe it would be better just to drain the system and refill with new stuff, given the age of the car.
I only recently got this car from a family member, the PS fluid looks dark.
You're probably right, do a flush & see whats what.
Start simple & cheap

·
Registered
33 Posts
This car only has 165K miles on it.
Have had no troubles w/ it until the other day.
While highway driving, it feels like the steering disengages for a second,
then the front end starts to shimmy.
Then its like the steering partially re-engages, still shimmying, yet turning the wheel turns the vehicle turns accurately.
Then the shimmy quits, then it comes back.
I've had it up in the air, running & in gear.
No clicks, no ball joint slop, no wobby axles. . . .what the?
If anyone has experience, please reply.
Thanks,
I would closely inspect/test the entire front end: Tie rods-Ball joints-Bushings. I agree flush the P/S system, also check the rack for leaks, the belt tension, pulley alignment, pump bolt tightness, missing/loose bolts or nuts,etc. Inspect the steering rack coupler too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would closely inspect/test the entire front end: Tie rods-Ball joints-Bushings. I agree flush the P/S system, also check the rack for leaks, the belt tension, pulley alignment, pump bolt tightness, missing/loose bolts or nuts,etc. Inspect the steering rack coupler too.
I've done most of the inspections you're talking about, I am shocked it isn't obvious by the amount of shimmy I experienced. I'm going to start w/ the PS fluid since I don't know when it was changed last, if ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts