Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trusting Costco tire shop for years, thinking it would offer better overall value than other retailers. However, what I noticed recently makes me no longer believe so even though their berries are still the best value.

1. The installation fee of $20 per tire (used to be $15) claims to have a new TPMS installed in each of your tire because that sensor can be damaged during tire mounting (I don't know whether this is true that you need to replace the sensors if you have them). At first I was relieved to read this, thinking Costco was doing better than others who might have just re-used the sensor and not let customers know.

However, from what I learn about Honda's TPMS recently, there is NO TPMS sensor in the tire at all because Honda is relying on ABS and tire rotating variation to determine tire leak. For me this system works just well; it detected a slow leak on my front passenger side caused by a screw when there was no visible inflation.

Given the above information, this is unfair that the same $20 applies to every customer regardless of whether your tire really has the sensor.

2. A big white board stating torque numbers for all brands is hanging inside my local Costco tire center (Milford, CT). As we all know, over-torque is unwanted because it potentially damages many parts around the wheel. It once gave me the false confidence that technicians were indeed following the torque sheet. This is, however, not true for my last visit.

After my last visit to repair that screw puncture, I did some brake job for the front. To my surprise and anger, they must have over-torqued that front passenger side by ~30%. I was dealing with brakes (paint, replace pads and rotors, lubrication, etc.) for a while at that time, and became quite familiar with the feeling of 80 lb ft, which wasn't there for the lug nuts on that wheel. Neither my breaker bar nor 12V impact wrench would agree that set of lug nuts were only tightened to 80 lb ft.

I've been using my own torque wrench for a while, and it is well qualified. I always re-torque the wheels after ~100 miles, and in most cases the lug nuts are already firmly secured. The only exception is after replacing rotors which makes sense because of metal compression.

It is quite reasonable for tire shops to go over-tightening, since you might not see parts failure very soon, but they will be liable for loose lug nuts or even missing ones. However, being reasonable doesn't justify this incorrect act. I will never trust that Costco tire center anymore.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,255 Posts
Discount Tire torques properly and doesn’t sell TPMS sensors unnecessarily.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I miss DT from when I lived in NC. It also helped that the manager of the store I went to was a very prolific member on the Mazda forums (we both owned 3’s at the time). Only issue I ever ran into was a seized lug nut which snapped the stud when I removed it by hand with a wrench. I can’t complain though since 1) I literally watched them hand thread the nut on and tighten with a torque wrench, and 2) that car didn’t have the issues the Accord does with ease of replacing studs.

·
HK Moderator
13,893 Posts
1. The installation fee of $20 per tire (used to be $15) claims to have a new TPMS installed in each of your tire because that sensor can be damaged during tire mounting. At first I was relieved to read this, thinking Costco was doing better than others who might have just re-used the sensor and not let customers know.

However, from what I learn about Honda's TPMS recently, there is NO TPMS sensor in the tire at all because Honda is relying on ABS and tire rotating variation to determine tire leak.

Given the above information, I have been paying for something which is not sold to me at all. I would call this fraud behavior.
Is this "installation fee" and what exactly it covers, written somewhere? I would like to see the wording.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately they are not available in CT... I may need to find another local tire shop.

Is this "installation fee" and what exactly it covers, written somewhere? I would like to see the wording.
There's a big white board stating what is included in the installation fee. That board says " TPMS accessories are optional at additional cost". However, they have a TPMS sensor demo on the counter which states that Costco will replace the sensor...

IMO if they charge the same $20 for every consumer, regardless of whether your car does have TPMS sensor or not, it is unfair for those who don't need the sensors.

·
HK Moderator
13,893 Posts
Costco is generally an honest company to deal with- not too many "Costco ripped me off" posts on the internet. I am wondering if they included the words "if needed" on the big board to ally themselves of situations such as yours. There is an installation fee for each tire, regardless.

From the Costco website, it does not mention TPMS at al, and says installation is still $18.99, not $15, not $20l:

An Installation charge of $18.99 per tire is included in the quoted price.

This includes: Mounting, Lifetime Balancing, Lifetime Rotation, Lifetime Flat Repair, Lifetime Air Pressure Checks, New Rubber Valve Stem, & Costco Wholesale's Road Hazard Warranty.

Source:

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll post an update. I submitted a feedback via Costco website, and they actually looked into my service history carefully.

They called me the next day, admitting that in my last 2 visits of swapping a/s and winter tires, they charged me $28 more due to the misinformation.

A technician said the information they had with my 2017 Civic was confusing, saying no sensor needed but generating a price quote with sensor model...

A refund was applied by gift card. Overall, I am satisfied now.

·
HK Moderator
13,893 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what happened here in this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts