Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks wondering if anyone is having same issues
I recently got the 2013 touring v6 accord and noticed as many
An odd downshift as you let of gas it seems this is normal based on reading here
But I also notice a strange way this car drives and shifts gears
For an automatic I feel the gear shifts a lot and I find when on the highway I feel two odd things . First when I'm doing say 110 or 120 km and let car sol down to 100 then go to pick up speed I get the sensation the car is stuck in high gear and hesitates or stutters to get into gear I notice at times vibration as if you were driving a standard car and slowed down but left the gear in 5th it's real odd
I asked the dealer and they say the car is designed to keep you I'm high gear to limit the down shift seems odd? Not sure if I buy it ? My previous accord had transmission issues so I'm a little concerned ? Also I feel vibration on the gas pedal when I accelerate not sure if I'm feeling the road or what I need to keep an eye on it a bit more? When I reach a cursing speed I dnt feel it? Anyway I thought I would ask here as the dealer looks at me like I got two heads

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
Unfortunately, the logic of the V6 Accord's automatic transmission is whack. Many on here have similar complaints. I do not have one, but I had similar complaints when I test drove one as well as the new Acura RLX which shares the same transmission.

It just does not feel right even compared older automatics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It sounds normal to me I dont own a 9gen Accord but my 07 Accord V6 does the same thing that you are describing the way it shifts and everything. transmission shifts a bit on the Harsh side on Hondas, I was told because Honda uses clutch packs in their transmissions. Toyota's in the other hand has smoother shifting transmissions, they are boring to drive, you shouldn't worry about it and enjoy your car you'll get use to it.

·
Elvira
3,610 Posts
Yup!! that's what they do to one extent or another.

By the way how fast is cursing speed anyway?:D

It's mostly for MPG or KPG in your case.

The vibration appears to be from everywhere. Road, tires (Michelins), engine growl @ 2800 rpm, radio bass setting (really), VCM.

Miker

·
Registered
135 Posts
So this thread is steering me away from the V6 sedan automatic......
Hogan773 There is nothing wrong with the V6 actually is a great car is just that the transmission is not for everyone. Test drive it and maybe you like it. I mean the CVT is not that great either tons of complains.

·
Elvira
3,610 Posts
What's your second choice?

Everything I mentioned is NOT horribly intrusive just somewhat noticeable.

Roads have nothing to do with trans
Tires have nothing to do with trans
Radio has nothing to do with trans
VCM has nothing to do with trans, and it's almost imperceptible except when I see the MPG meter go up to 45 on the bar graph. I know it's a generalization and I'm not getting 45MPG. Leave it alone.
Miker

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Hi folks wondering if anyone is having same issues
I recently got the 2013 touring v6 accord and noticed as many
An odd downshift as you let of gas it seems this is normal based on reading here
But I also notice a strange way this car drives and shifts gears
For an automatic I feel the gear shifts a lot and I find when on the highway I feel two odd things . First when I'm doing say 110 or 120 km and let car sol down to 100 then go to pick up speed I get the sensation the car is stuck in high gear and hesitates or stutters to get into gear I notice at times vibration as if you were driving a standard car and slowed down but left the gear in 5th it's real odd
I asked the dealer and they say the car is designed to keep you I'm high gear to limit the down shift seems odd? Not sure if I buy it ? My previous accord had transmission issues so I'm a little concerned ? Also I feel vibration on the gas pedal when I accelerate not sure if I'm feeling the road or what I need to keep an eye on it a bit more? When I reach a cursing speed I dnt feel it? Anyway I thought I would ask here as the dealer looks at me like I got two heads
I also have a 2013 Touring and I can tell you that I've never noticed any of the sensations from the transmission that you're feeling. From the way you describe it, I'd say that something is out of adjustment. I'm no mechanic, but I'd take one with me on the freeway so that he can get a sense for what you're noticing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm? Like mentioned it just don't feel right . It's like at times no power but then you floor it and you fly like the wind. It's odd . I had a 2003 coupe and honestly although I had to replace the tranny at 200 km the car drive way smoother the my new one. If I didn't have an accord before I probably wouldn't be complaining about the odd shifting and strange feel of hesitation. So what's the odd feel on the gas pedal? It feels like a vibration ? But cruising around 120km an hour nothing ? Maybe it's the road . The tires are 18 inch michlines I guess thats what put on them ? They actual seem a bit stiff and loud almost like they dnt belong on this car . Look nice but not sure why a sedan needs 18 inch wheels ? Anyway reading this makes me feel a bit better that perhaps nothing wrong but it makes me wonder have anyone else complained to honda and are they looking at perhaps adjusting gear shifting or perhaps come up with a way to make this car drive smoother? The head mechanic told me cvt engine way smoother but I heard there are other issues with those ? I just dnt like the feel I'm going to stall it my transmission is about to fail . Brings bad memories of getting stuck on highway stuck in low gear ! Should I bring it in to have dealer look at it or is that a waste? I honestly have had thoughts of trading this car for something else and I have only had it for a month ! Verdict not in yet

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
I will say I agree with the downshifting of the 6 speed takes some getting used to but the vibration of the gas pedal sounds like something more serious I have not experienced that.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hogan773 There is nothing wrong with the V6 actually is a great car is just that the transmission is not for everyone. Test drive it and maybe you like it. I mean the CVT is not that great either tons of complains.
What's your second choice?

Everything I mentioned is NOT horribly intrusive just somewhat noticeable.

Roads have nothing to do with trans
Tires have nothing to do with trans
Radio has nothing to do with trans
VCM has nothing to do with trans, and it's almost imperceptible except when I see the MPG meter go up to 45 on the bar graph. I know it's a generalization and I'm not getting 45MPG. Leave it alone.
Miker
I was leaning to the I4 CVT due to price and fuel efficiency. On the test drive my wife made it judder, I didn't, wasn't that big a deal I guess. I was hammering it pretty hard and I gotta say the CVT aint bad....a few times it felt like I was winding up the rubber band but pretty much invisible.

A few others here suggested I might be better off with the V6 for nice smooth power delivery, as I'm coming from a 6cyl BMW. I also like the dual exhaust look, if we're gonna be vain here :thmsup: So I haven't driven a V6 yet but was just doing some research on them. This car will be driven 75% by my wife, and 90% in the suburban back roads where it probably never gets past 50mph, so I think in reality the I4 is just fine. But I'm willing to consider "treating myself" to the V6. That's why my heart sank a tad when I read this...I assumed the V6 would be the "ultimate in power and refinement" (at least in the Accord line!) so was disappointed to hear that some people think it is acting weird.

As with all things on the internet, I know one man's opinion on horrible tranny behaviour might not even be noticed by others, so I gotta drive it and see for myself. Preferably back-to-back with the CVT.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Steering/suspension on v6

What do you owners of V6 think of this, especially the last para? True? (this is from the Automobile mag review of the car)

NEW STRUT SUSPENSION UP FRONT WITH ELECTRIC STEERING
In place of the Accord's traditional control-arm front suspension is a new strut-type arrangement that, according to Honda, is not only lighter but offers better NVH performance. There was some groaning about this during the technical presentation (as there was when the Civic switched to a strut front suspension several years ago), but we'd like to point out that the Porsche Boxster uses strut suspension all around. When done properly, struts can be made to do wonderful things.

A back-to-back drive with the old Accord demonstrates that fact quite clearly. The Accord's ride is still a bit tauter than the segment norm, but the new car is far, far more willing to turn into corners. That's especially true for the four-cylinder model, which now uses electrically assisted power steering. The steering is dramatically lighter at parking lot speeds, but effort builds naturally as cornering forces increase. Just about all of the on-center steering feel has been filtered out, but the nice weighting and path accuracy are quite good for this class of vehicle. Ironically, since driver involvement isn't a traditional Toyota strong point, it's the Camry that has the best EPAS in this class of vehicle. (The hydraulically assisted steering in the Mazda 6 remains the benchmark in this class.)

Unfortunately, the kind words don't extend to the EPAS in the Accord V-6. With an assist motor mounted on the rack for packaging reasons (rather than the pinion-mounted motor on four-cylinder models), the Accord V-6's steering is, by comparison, dreadful. It isolates the driver far better from torque steer than last year's hydraulically assisted system, but the programming is in need of a major revision. Effort seems to change on a whim, and in quick transitions, the system continues to want to turn the wheel after you've stopped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't say its exactly a vibration on the gas pedal as much as another odd sensation ? Does anyone feel anything off the gas pedal? I guess Back to the dealer ? Hopefully they will get a sense of what I'm feeling . Based on some comments here my fear is its normal? Does that sound a bit odd? I would actually prefer they find an issue then to be told that is normal

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't say its exactly a vibration on the gas pedal as much as another odd sensation ? Does anyone feel anything off the gas pedal? I guess Back to the dealer ? Hopefully they will get a sense of what I'm feeling . Based on some comments here my fear is its normal? Does that sound a bit odd? I would actually prefer they find an issue then to be told that is normal
Unfortunately, the sensation through the gas pedal is normal and is from the VCM. I have had my car checked 6 times at two different dealerships and they both say this is normal. I even had the Mid-Atlantic regional service manager drive my car and he said it is normal too. But normal does not make it acceptable to me. I will definitely trade my 2013 EXL V6 as soon as it makes financial sense to do so.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Accelerating after cruising at a constant speed for a time the hesitation on the v6 is most likely due to high 6th gear and vcm 3cyl mode switching to 6cyl. By nature of the engine 3cyl mode will produce a slight vibration noticeable or not hence the development of active engine mounts to reduce this.

V6 steering is not that bad but it has to do with more than just the eps mounting. Weight distribution etc is not as favorable on the V6 which is more front heavy than the 4cyl counterpart.

The gas pedal also feels like marshmallow if you have eco mode on. Turn it off for more responsive and less marshmallow feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke to Honda Canada and basically told them the same thing . I didn't want to be told that this cars bahavior is normal because if it is I will trade it for something else when I find what I want and have the time to do some test driving. Sad because I do like the look of the car the features and so on. Honda should step up and acknowledge there is a growing issue and should come up with a software fix to adjust how the vcm works and gears shift to provide a smoother feel. Wonder if anyone here had issues like this and had a dealer do service on the car in a way of an adjustment or something to help or fix the problems ?if so let me know so I can suggest the fix to my dealer. Otherwise I guess I'll need to start my search for a replacement car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ashame to hear this
Too bad that Honda hasn't come up with a fix or computer update to the vcm to correct the drive issue of this transmission ! A quick test drive don't reveal this type of issue you notice it after you have the car and then it's too late' I hope there's a fix cause if this is
Normal I may need to start looking for another car only a month after I got it as it just feels wrong? Too bad the features in this car and the look are sharp

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
OP are you driving in S mode on the highway? S mode will hold the revs higher. D won't and should not do what your saying. What is your car reving at highway speeds?

As for the gearing down when you slow down, that is by design, it helps you slow down and saves your brake pads. I'm am at a total loss as to why so many people complain about this feature. Any one driving a standard would do this on purpose to slow the car down, but Honda's puts it in their auto's and people complain about it? Its barely noticeable, but again, if your in S mode it will be very VERY noticeable.

·
Banned
308 Posts
OP are you driving in S mode on the highway? S mode will hold the revs higher. D won't and should not do what your saying. What is your car reving at highway speeds?

As for the gearing down when you slow down, that is by design, it helps you slow down and saves your brake pads. I'm am at a total loss as to why so many people complain about this feature. Any one driving a standard would do this on purpose to slow the car down, but Honda's puts it in their auto's and people complain about it? Its barely noticeable, but again, if your in S mode it will be very VERY noticeable.
yeah I used to do this when I had stick shift cars.....it's called DOWNSHIFTING! Ahh those were the days...blipping the throttle with the foot just as you're throwing it into a lower gear and letting out the clutch.....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts