Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So back in 2015, I picked up an ultra low mileage, garage kept 2001 Accord EXL with 27k original miles. We still got it, it is my wife's daily.. We are at 87k miles now, and for over the past 60k miles / 7 years, it has been pretty much a trouble free ownership.. Just routine maintenance for all the normal stuff including a drain and fill of DW-1 every 10k miles. ..Oh I had to replace the distributor as it was leaking, but that was a cheap and easy fix for $50 for a brand new OEM part. The car still looks and drives amazing. Probably the best car purchase I ever made, a very rare find.

The '01 EXL:
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire

We dumped our 1998 sixth gen in 2018 with 220k miles (originally acquired in 2005).. The tranny was toast (mostly city driving), and had tried a couple of JDM "low mileage" trannies that lasted about 25-30k each.. but for $700 completely installed back in the day, it got us down the road a while longer each time with the kids learning how to drive, etc... until the trannies swaps kind of messed up the rear main, and I was done messing with it. Sold it cheap and someone else kept it going for a couple more years until it was totaled.

The '98 EXL (shortly before we disposed):
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Today, I picked up a 2002 EX with 93k original miles for a very good price. It has been kept up with, and has a great maintenance history.. Runs and drives great..Tranny shifts like butter. The interior is in amazing condition (looks only a couple years old). I will do a few things to it, but does not really need much in the near term other than some external cosmetics which I will address. I will put this one on a tranny drain and fill schedule every 15k.

Pic of today's purchase ('02 EX):

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Gear shift

So there ya have it, we are a 2 sixth gen accord (with less than 100k miles) family in 2022. Both are single stage white, so we don't have the clear coat concerns. We have some other cars around here of course, but sixth gen accords are still my favorite for the overall simplicity, low cost of ownership, familiarity, cheap / easy to repair / maintain, and reliability (as long as you take care of the trannies).. Just add a $10 Bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter and I have all the modern luxury I need to putt around without all the distractions and unnecessary nonsense like TPMS.

It is really going to suck when there are no more good 6th gens to be found, but if I do get another accord, I will completely skip the 7th (styling sucks) and 8th gen (uncomfortable seats), and anything with the EarthDreams 1.5 turbo charged / direct injection engines that were plagued with oil dilution problems between 2018-2020. Another thing I really hate is the entire industry went to low compression oil rings around 2008 and forward (for better gas mileage so they say) which has resulted in many people experiencing high oil consumption (which they say is "normal").. With the 6th gens, no worries at atll.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
Another thing I really hate is the entire industry went to low compression oil rings around 2008 and forward (for better gas mileage so they say) which has resulted in many people experiencing high oil consumption (which they say is "normal")..
Honda switched away from these late in 2010 onwards for the Accord. Their other models also followed suit soon after.

Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
My first car was a '99 EX. I loved that car, bought it 160k and sold it with over 220k. I bought an '01 EX-L V6 with 232k off of my friend for cheap a few months ago, I'm up to 238k now. He had the car since about 140k. Love the car, even if the body paint is hammered dog crap. Is it weird that sometimes I enjoy driving the 6th gen over my 9th gen???
6th gen was definitely a good period for Honda styling and interior build quality. As you mentioned, weak points for these cars is definitely the transmissions. From what I can tell my '01 had the transmission replaced or rebuilt at some point (casting coloring don't match). It shifts great, I've drained/filled it a few times & fluid comes out clean. .
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Registered
I bought a 2002 EX-L V-6 new way back when. Used it as a commuter car. One of the best, if not the best cars I've ever owned. Put 153k miles on it before the trans leaks from the gaskets, not the seals on the shafts coming out of it, drove me and my wife to trading it in. She was really afraid the trans was going to leave us stranded some day, even though it shifted like new. It surprised the indy mechanic that serviced it at the 105k service when I told him he had just pulled the trans dip stick out for the third time it had ever been removed. He thought for sure the trans had been rebuilt after he test drove it. The sales guy that sold it to me said they really had that model down on the assembly line as they'd been building them for 7 years or so at that point. I got to drive the car when it had 0.5 miles on it. White on tan, I had the rear windows tinted and left everything alone after that. At times I've wished I had kept it and had the trans rebuilt but now I have my '11 HFP coupe V-6 and it has almost made that memory fade completely away. It's white on tan too, EX-L w/NAV.
Edit: I came up with a bracket that located the fornt license plate below the bumper. I hated the way Honda did it so came up with something better. It was a pita to put on but once on looked great.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
ATF is cheap and I don't blame you for changing it that often on a Honda AT of this era. If I was stuck with one I'd be doing the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts