Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very odd question that I'm trying to figure out.

For winter, I remove my two front 17" wheels/tires, and replace them with two 16" winter wheels/tires. The wheels are Honda steel wheels, w/o TPMS sensors. When the car slips on snow, it just spins, stops, and spins, stops, spins, repeat, all while you are giving it consistent pressure on the pedal. Also, only with these wheels, when I pull out on dry pavement, the triangle stability sensor will flash on the dash, and I have to remove my foot from the gas for about 5 seconds for it to stop.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I put winter tires on to help with traction, but it seems like they screw up some sensor, and make it worse.

thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Someone may need to correct me on this but I believe without TPMS your VSA cannot turn off which may be the reason for your wheels spinning and then stopping.

Hope this helps! :wave:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Personally, in full blown snow and icy roads, I turn the VSA off. With no TPMS as mentioned previously you cannot turn VSA off and that bogging feeling of the engine cutting power to the wheels as they are trying to spin drives me crazy... I'd rather pull off slowly and get into higher gear quickly than have my car bogging down the road because of traction control.. Could you possibly get some TPMS installed in the snow tires or swap your stock ones in?

·
Registered
199 Posts
w/o TPMS sensors
You answered your own question. I can't recall but I seem to think I read somewhere about pulling a fuse and disabling VSA. You may want to search for that and try to find out if others have done that successfully.

Best solution is to add TPMS sensors. My winters actually have the sensors but I can't be bothered to get them programmed. ( Then have the summers reprogrammed in spring etc...)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the help, I talked to my local dealer, and he said that it was b/c i had a different size wheel than what the speedometer was calibrated to, and that caused the issue. It's very annoying, b/c i never get to use both wheels, it just spins the right, stops, transfers to the left, stops, and so on. I looked into getting TPMS sensors, but was told that i would have to go the dealer to have them calibrated every time I swapped the wheels.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I dont think that is entirely true.. Any shop should be able to calibrate a TPMS sensor, not just the dealership. I was able to remove the sensors from my factory 17" wheels and swap them into the Accord Sport 18" wheels with no issues, no re-calibration, etc and for under $100..

Not sure how it works if you have 2 different sensors (1 set of sensors in each set of wheels) But I would assume that both would stay calibrated in the "off-season" and should be recognized as soon as they are put on the car regardless of wheel diameter..

·
Registered
304 Posts
The car will only hold 4 sensor IDs at a time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would assume that both would stay calibrated in the "off-season"
This unfortunately is not true. You do have to get the system reprogrammed (often for a fee) unless you buy a programmer for yourself (large initial fee).

This is the reason I haven't bothered to have mine done. If the dealer would do it for free, then I would bother.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ahh thanks for the clarification guys.. So then your only option would be to spend the $80-$100 to swap the sensors from wheel to wheel each season.. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Stock wheels with a good set of all-season tires will work just fine IMO.

OP where do you live that you need to use designated snow tires? I live in the northeastern US and get some pretty heavy snow at times but my all-seasons on the stock 18" Accord wheels do just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in the higher regions of PA, and I had gotten stuck a few times where the car just couldn't keep going uphill, so i got the winter tires.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What size are the snow tires?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts