Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread about how my HID light on my Driver side wont turn on sometimes? and yep, it died down today. My passanger side is still working fine, i found out it was bad ballast (and i dont want to go through the hassle of getting it replaced by with ddm tuning, and i think it's better for the long run). after today i have decided i will no longer install HID in My car. im in the market for regular H11 bulb, I personally dont like the bulb that comes with the car, so i want to replace it. I look online, i saw most people wouldn't recommend Sylvania Star (or whatever :D, i forgot), No overpriced Junk PIAA, I dont know about philips brand, the only one i looked at right now is OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER, Has anyone use this? there are NIGHTBREAKER PLUS, NIGHTBREAKER UNLIMITED (Latest one). i tried to look for how it look on Youtube, it seems bright however i dont trust camera 100% tho. Some people recommending replacing with H9 with A little modification (Including this forum), but with less lifespan, and bigger Wattage (65W), id rather stick with H11 halogen bulb for now, MONEY IS TIGHT NOW, I DON'T WANT TO SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY FIXING THIS AND THAT YET if something breaks down.....

any input on this before i pull the trigger? thx...

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you don't want to do the H9 swap, just about any H11 will be poor lighting. It is less lumens and made to last longer. Any color "tinted" bulbs you buy will also decrease the output slightly. Your best bet will be going with Osram (sp) or a European clear glass bulb.

The H9 is not an big enough increase to hurt anything, and the price will be almost as much as the H11...therefore it doesn't break the bank. But if you are dead set on the H11, then Osram

·
Registered
98 Posts
With halogen lights, there's always a tradeoff between lifespan and performance. The good news is that the H11 and H9 are both excellent lights; they're about 25 to 30 per cent more efficient and powerful than the 9005 and 9006 lights Honda used to use.

If you're looking for light output and power, the H9 is probably the best choice. It won't last as long as a normal H11 bulb, but I expect that it will last just as long as one of the high-efficacy H11s while being both cheaper and more powerful. I'd just go with a standard bulb from a regular sort of brand, like Philips. Or you could get one at the dealer - Honda typically sources good lights.

If you're just looking for a competent light that'll be cheap, simple and long-lasting, a regular H11 will do you just fine. I recommend Philips - regular ones - or ones from the Honda dealer. The high-output H11s cost more and die quicker.

Incidentally - if you ever want to upgrade your high-beams, 9011 HIR1s work great. Look 'em up.

·
'13 Accord Sport
264 Posts
I made a thread about how my HID light on my Driver side wont turn on sometimes? and yep, it died down today. My passanger side is still working fine, i found out it was bad ballast (and i dont want to go through the hassle of getting it replaced by with ddm tuning, and i think it's better for the long run). after today i have decided i will no longer install HID in My car. im in the market for regular H11 bulb, I personally dont like the bulb that comes with the car, so i want to replace it. I look online, i saw most people wouldn't recommend Sylvania Star (or whatever :D, i forgot), No overpriced Junk PIAA, I dont know about philips brand, the only one i looked at right now is OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER, Has anyone use this? there are NIGHTBREAKER PLUS, NIGHTBREAKER UNLIMITED (Latest one). i tried to look for how it look on Youtube, it seems bright however i dont trust camera 100% tho. Some people recommending replacing with H9 with A little modification (Including this forum), but with less lifespan, and bigger Wattage (65W), id rather stick with H11 halogen bulb for now, MONEY IS TIGHT NOW, I DON'T WANT TO SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY FIXING THIS AND THAT YET if something breaks down.....

any input on this before i pull the trigger? thx...
Have you looked these Philips H11s? http://www.amazon.com/Philips-CrystalVision-Ultra-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B00480GYSA

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't recommend these.

As I said in my earlier post, halogen lights - all else being equal - go on a lifespan vs. performance tradeoff continuum.

An H11 bulb, by law, needs to produce around 1250 lumens at a specified test voltage. I believe there's a +/- 5% tolerance - so essentially, if you want to make a bulb that's actually street legal, it's going to be producing somewhere between 1187.5 and 1312.5 lumens at the specified test voltage. The tolerance might be slightly larger, but the basic idea is correct.

Suppose you have a theoretical light bulb that makes exactly 1250 lumens. To make a high-powered light, you would drive your filament slightly harder; to make a long-life light, you would do the opposite.

The trouble is that a tint coating on a light robs you of some lumen output. Suppose that you lose 10% of your light to your tint coating - this represents the lower-frequency light the coating has blocked out to give the beam an overall blue colour.

Well, instead of making exactly 1250 lumens, you're now making 1125. This isn't legal, so you have to drive your filament harder. To get to your minimum 1187.5 lumens required by law, you need to run your light as hard as you would have in order to get a 1320 lumen bulb if it weren't tinted.

What does this mean? Unfortunately, it means you get the light output of a very long-life bulb with the lifespan of a very high power bulb. In other words: the worst of both worlds. To make things worse, for a variety of complicated optical and biological reasons that I don't fully understand, the blue-coloured light you're getting out of your bulb actually isn't as good for seeing with as the warmer light from a standard bulb. (In a tragic bit of irony, I understand that the same characteristics that make the bluer-tinted light less useful also make it look brighter to the human eye. Whoops.)

So blue-tinted bulbs mean that you manage to lose on lifespan, lose on output, and lose on light quality. This would already be an unfortunate proposition , but companies have chosen to add insult to their bad-light injury by making them really expense. Blue tinted halogens are essentially a classic case of paying more to get less. They're a bad idea, and I would never recommend them.

The best H11 bulb, from an output perspective, is probably one of the European high-efficacy ones, like a Philips Xtreme Vision or Xtreme Power or an Osram Night Breaker Plus or something to that effect.

However, by law, a test H11 bulb can't make more than 1312.5 lumens at the test voltage (assuming a 5% legal tolerance - it might be 7% but you get the idea). The super high output Euro-bulbs manage to slightly cheat this system by using a selective band of tint to "direct" the legally allowed lumens in a slightly more efficient pattern, but you're still working within a very low ceiling.

By the same laws, a test H9 bulb can't make less than around 1995. This is a rather massive 683 lumen gap. The short answer is that, from an output perspective, the best H11 bulb... is an H9 bulb. Any will do. Home Depot looks to sell them for $7 apiece. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-Standard-12361-H9-Headlight-Bulb-1-Pack-12361B1/203653621

·
Registered
299 Posts
i have decided i will no longer install HID in My car.
Perfect. If it was up to me - and I'm sure you all say "thank god it's not up to you" - I would outlaw all these HID shits. These are terrible lights, they blind drivers in front of you, in many cases they are not aligned correctly. It is pretty ridiculous that there are no laws in this country and people can put whatever shit they want on their car with zero regard to how it effects other drivers. I find that 80% of the cars in recent years blind me and no, it's not my eyes. They are perfect. Being checked every year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Perfect. If it was up to me - and I'm sure you all say "thank god it's not up to you" - I would outlaw all these HID shits. These are terrible lights, they blind drivers in front of you, in many cases they are not aligned correctly. It is pretty ridiculous that there are no laws in this country and people can put whatever shit they want on their car with zero regard to how it effects other drivers. I find that 80% of the cars in recent years blind me and no, it's not my eyes. They are perfect. Being checked every year.
Soapbox time:

Actually, they are outlawed. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 107 sets extremely specific and vigorous requirements for headlamps and lighting systems. To be road legal in the USA, a car needs to meet those standards. Aftermarket HID kits, with vanishingly few exceptions (of which I believe there are none for the Accord), don't.

Swapping an HID bulb into a halogen assembly is against the law. This is true whether it is a projector assembly, a reflector assembly, or whether that bulb might have been acceptable in other uses. In order to legally retrofit HID headlights into a non-HID car, you need to be able to retrofit the entire lighting assembly to a FMVSS/DOT compliant lighting assembly.

The reason for this basically comes down to beam pattern. Headlights are optically complex devices that rely on a light source being a very specific way in order for them to work properly. Legally, car headlight assemblies need to put out certain amounts of light - both maximum and minimum - at certain locations; this requires a very complicated reflector setup. (You probably recall from older vehicles how there used to be textured lenses - these served that purpose. The Honda Accord actually introduced the reflector-optic lamp, and it was really only able to do that because computer assisted design made the necessary math palatable.)

With an HID light, the light source has both moved and changed shape. Because the rest of your optics are the same, the output does not get pointed the right way and therefore ends up in a whole bunch of the wrong places, e.g. in the form of foreground over-illumination (which hurts distance vision) and excessive glare. There are also certain durability requirements that your typical aftermarket HID kit just plain doesn't meet.

The only presently-available legal replacement assemblies for the 2013 Honda Accord are those produced by Honda. The best legal lighting upgrade available for the Accord is the Touring assembly and its LED low-beams. However, Honda caught on to this and is now charging an utterly outrageous and unreasonable price for these assemblies. So the second best option is to use 9011/HIR1 highs and H9 lows.

The good news with the 9011s and H9s is that they're optically identical to the 9005s and H11s, so you get the exact same beam pattern you were supposed to get - just brighter. (In fact, HIR1s are made to very exacting standards and you probably end up getting something closer to the "platonic ideal" of a beam pattern than you would have stock.) Instead of +/-1250 lumens per low beam and +/-1700 lumens per high beam, you instead get 2100 lumens per low beam and 2350 lumens per high beam.

It's really a win-win scenario, except that your running costs are slightly higher due to the increased replacement rate of the H9s and the slightly higher capital costs of the 9011/HIR1 bulbs. I put 9011/HIR1 high-beams in my car and haven't looked back since, as my high-beam performance now borders on the absurd. I'd have to be driving at truly stupid speeds to outdrive my beams.

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
Soapbox time:

Actually, they are outlawed. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 107 sets extremely specific and vigorous requirements for headlamps and lighting systems. To be road legal in the USA, a car needs to meet those standards. Aftermarket HID kits, with vanishingly few exceptions (of which I believe there are none for the Accord), don't.

Swapping an HID bulb into a halogen assembly is against the law. This is true whether it is a projector assembly, a reflector assembly, or whether that bulb might have been acceptable in other uses. In order to legally retrofit HID headlights into a non-HID car, you need to be able to retrofit the entire lighting assembly to a FMVSS/DOT compliant lighting assembly.

The reason for this basically comes down to beam pattern. Headlights are optically complex devices that rely on a light source being a very specific way in order for them to work properly. Legally, car headlight assemblies need to put out certain amounts of light - both maximum and minimum - at certain locations; this requires a very complicated reflector setup. (You probably recall from older vehicles how there used to be textured lenses - these served that purpose. The Honda Accord actually introduced the reflector-optic lamp, and it was really only able to do that because computer assisted design made the necessary math palatable.)

With an HID light, the light source has both moved and changed shape. Because the rest of your optics are the same, the output does not get pointed the right way and therefore ends up in a whole bunch of the wrong places, e.g. in the form of foreground over-illumination (which hurts distance vision) and excessive glare. There are also certain durability requirements that your typical aftermarket HID kit just plain doesn't meet.

The only presently-available legal replacement assemblies for the 2013 Honda Accord are those produced by Honda. The best legal lighting upgrade available for the Accord is the Touring assembly and its LED low-beams. However, Honda caught on to this and is now charging an utterly outrageous and unreasonable price for these assemblies. So the second best option is to use 9011/HIR1 highs and H9 lows.

The good news with the 9011s and H9s is that they're optically identical to the 9005s and H11s, so you get the exact same beam pattern you were supposed to get - just brighter. (In fact, HIR1s are made to very exacting standards and you probably end up getting something closer to the "platonic ideal" of a beam pattern than you would have stock.) Instead of +/-1250 lumens per low beam and +/-1700 lumens per high beam, you instead get 2100 lumens per low beam and 2350 lumens per high beam.

It's really a win-win scenario, except that your running costs are slightly higher due to the increased replacement rate of the H9s and the slightly higher capital costs of the 9011/HIR1 bulbs. I put 9011/HIR1 high-beams in my car and haven't looked back since, as my high-beam performance now borders on the absurd. I'd have to be driving at truly stupid speeds to outdrive my beams.
I'll stick with my HIDs. I've seen plenty of stock HIDs that are blinding. I don't really care about beam pattern, bulb configuration, etc etc. I've had mine for 6 months and never been flashed. I've viewed them from within another car at distance, from front and from behind with no issues. The venom with which anti-HID people talk about this issue on this forum is hilarious. I think it's rooted in their jealousy of those that have the audacity (meant sarcastically) to install and enjoy them. So, have fun with your yellow, dim haolgens. And to the OP, invest in a decent pair of ballasts and continue to enjoy your HIDs.

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
you're about a 45 minute drive to the DDM, just take a drive to the beach and swap it out under warranty

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I'll stick with my HIDs. I've seen plenty of stock HIDs that are blinding. I don't really care about beam pattern, bulb configuration, etc etc. I've had mine for 6 months and never been flashed. I've viewed them from within another car at distance, from front and from behind with no issues. The venom with which anti-HID people talk about this issue on this forum is hilarious. I think it's rooted in their jealousy of those that have the audacity (meant sarcastically) to install and enjoy them. So, have fun with your yellow, dim haolgens. And to the OP, invest in a decent pair of ballasts and continue to enjoy your HIDs.

The way you've called those of us who know better snobs/elitists and hinted at ridiculous jealousy is pretty venomous in my books. Enjoy your ignorance of facts and physics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Swapping an HID bulb into a halogen assembly is against the law.

True. However don't tell half the story. It is also true that swapping an H9 or any other bulb assembly into a light for which it is not designed for is also against the law.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
HID kits are outlawed. It's illegal to import them into the US. It's illegal to use them in vehicles. They wouldn't be an issue if they didn't cause the problems they do. Some people just don't care about other drivers. They're what I call selfish.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Swapping an HID bulb into a halogen assembly is against the law.

True. However don't tell half the story. It is also true that swapping an H9 or any other bulb assembly into a light for which it is not designed for is also against the law.
Yes, you are correct. The consequences to oncoming traffic are far far less with the H9 than with the HID kit, however, plus you'll get more usable light with the H9 than with a HID kit.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
you're about a 45 minute drive to the DDM, just take a drive to the beach and swap it out under warranty
My guess is that the OP doesn't want to have to do this time and time again, which is quite possible with the lack of quality control on Chinese ballasts in recent times. Even the vaunted TRS ballasts have been having very high failure rates these days and all these ballasts are from the same few Chinese companies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The venom with which anti-HID people talk about this issue on this forum is hilarious. I think it's rooted in their jealousy of those that have the audacity (meant sarcastically) to install and enjoy them. So, have fun with your yellow, dim haolgens.
I drive an Accord Touring and consequently, my headlights are neither yellow nor dim. Pretty sure it's not jealousy talking, but if you insist...

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, main reason i dont want to deal with HID anymore is because of the Cheap quality Ballast.

i dont want my original bulb is too yellowish, i felt strange.

here's the video i mentioned earlier in my thread.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll stick with my HIDs. I don't really care about beam pattern, bulb configuration, etc etc. I think it's rooted in their jealousy
:lmao:

Jealousy?! At what, at brighter lights, HID or whatever it is? You're funny. Your arrogance and ignorance is the problem of our society. The fact that you don't care, that you basically don't give a carp if you blind someone in front of you is simply amazing.

@ David - thanks for the explanation.
So, how come all these cars pass inspection when their lights are out of alignment and/or too bright?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts