Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some tuners for Hondas such as Ktuner and hondata, but wondering if anyone has seen the Ham Burger Motorsports tune for Honda's new turbo motors.

I had a JB4 along with BMS intakes in my 335i and it was amazing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have something similar on my 2009 xB, and proved it and the TRD intake to produce nice power on a local dyno. I would prefer the option over a tune load, because it is easier to remove. I'll be watching for input on this product.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They did some nice stuff for the VW guys. I’d like to see a little more detail on what this gives in terms of gains for the 2.0. I do like that it’s not a hard flash, but I also like to enable a tune at the touch of a button like you can do with ktuner, and I think with Hondata as well. However, the price is certainly right.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Seems on the lo setting it is 4psi boost which wouldn’t be bad at all. Having a warranty car I don’t want to get crazy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like this. Only question is if they have been as conservative overall as Hondata and others. I like that it’s mkre warranty friendly but not sure that I like that it’s tricking sensors.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Always check the installation, to see how the device interacts with ECU and sensors.
Looking at pdf, this device piggybacks on the MAP and Tmap sensors.

So in my mind, this is a boost controller really, not tuner as I don't see how it can do more, like timing and A/F.
Unless there is a way through OB2, but skeptical on that.

As far as warranty if it is raising boost and correct boost is shown not sure this would not trigger max boost value stored if something went wrong.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would love to hear real world experience as this seems more warranty friendly than a tube. They have a good reputation with the bmw and vw guys.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've been reading, and reading, and reading. Having the CVT, and knowing Honda (as well as many others) can tell if you had a flash, for me it is piggy back or nothing. I am just trying to figure if the 4psi boost offered on the JB4 stage 1 is too much for the 1.5 cvt or not. It is nice it is just two connections under the hood and done.

From my reading on the CVT, hard take off from stop (drag racing) and things like power braking are what kills it. Most of my "sport" driving are two passing, getting in and out of traffic, and interstate on ramps and passing. None of which are like power braking and drag racing.

And let me be honest, I do not think the Hondata base tune is harmful at all, I'm just not happy about Honda being able to tell there was a flash if they ever look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is why I would prefer this solution. Just want someone to try it and give feedback. As much as I would like Hondata or k tuner, I’m sure they can tell if you are tuned. And if you are, and damage the drivetrain, they have every right to deny a warranty claim.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are also several versions of these out there, AFE has one called the scorcher with different settings. I think it is mainly boost control that you can yank off in 5 minutes and be done with it without trace. And as stated above, I would think something like +3psi on the bottom version is not going to cause overboost. I did read where people running stage two on the 2.0T (Hondata I think) and got the fault, but it ran a hair over 20 psi, which neither should reach with a 3 psi boost. I think the most ive seen mine hit is 1 bar or a hair more, which is 14-15 psi.

If Honda specs on these are 20.2 (1.5) and 20.8 (2.0) psi, you'd figure 18-19 would be safe for the drivetrain unless you are always doing burnouts. I mean I really have to be hammering to see mine pass 1.0 bar. I just want a little more enhancement when I use sport mode. And Honda can most certainly see if you have a tune, trash something, and then flash back before going in. From my reading the BMW's can even log a JB4 type device was used, but there is a way to clear that.

One way I test a company is, I just sent a real detailed email with questions to BM's support address. Be curious to see what the response is and how long it takes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So... I had a JB1 on my 2016 GTI and it was worth every penny!. The JB4 is an upgraded version and adds more customization. Once my sport 6M has some decent miles on it, I will be getting one. The product is fantastic and so is their customer service. It simple to install and remove, then power gains are very noticeable!
You will not be disappointed and the risk is very low.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
So... I had a JB1 on my 2016 GTI and it was worth every penny!. The JB4 is an upgraded version and adds more customization. Once my sport 6M has some decent miles on it, I will be getting one. The product is fantastic and so is their customer service. It simple to install and remove, then power gains are very noticeable!
You will not be disappointed and the risk is very low.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yep, pretty much all I am reading in the BMW and other areas. Granted people poo poo a piggy back, but knowing the difference and what it offers can get you past the tuner elitism. Plus, once again, no voided warranty (unless you leave it in when it goes to the dealer lol). Tuner offers more, but this is a safe and intermediate way for some xtra power.

I also read there are some BMW's that cant be flashed, so other tuners are now making piggybacks for them lol. Is what it is, and BM has an excellent rep from all I read. My next move is 19" Enkei's that way about 20lbs each, and then the JB4. Will probably finish off with the PRL intercooler when it releases. Ive been listening to the muffler and resonator deletes, and the magnaflow, I just dont much care about messing with the exhaust. Seems downpipe is the way to go anyways.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bet you’ll get a good and quick response. I’ve emailed George before about some vw stuff and he was great.

Would you mind sharing the questions and answers? Would be good if they joined the forum.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Will do. I emailed later last night so I assume Ill hear back today.

Here is the email I got back, with some helpful links. I would just stick with map 1 which is +3.5 psi and some other things. It also looks like they have new software out for this application with a lot more tune options. I already run 93 octane, so no problem for me there.

Yes JB4 is perfect as once it's removed there is no trace of it left. You can take it out in less than 5 minutes anywhere anytime.
OBDII cable has easy install as well see video.

You can use map 1 or map 2 and should be fine. We have 12k hard miles on our development car which is CVT with zero issues.
At 4 psi you are around 30+ wheel hp.
Check out map info and notes here.
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53704

We have new features and maps being released, I would recommend to get the data cable or the bluetooth kit as well.

·
Accord, Panigale, Stryker
6 Posts
Anyone bought one yet?

I trust the company as I’ve had JB4’s in two BMWs, just not sure the performance gain is worthwhile... Would love some firsthand feedback.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems like a decent amount of power for the money. Maybe not as flexible as a true tune, but more warranty friendly. Though I would like someone else to be the test subject. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I will be ordering one soon, with the Bluetooth. I want to use the phone mounted in the car to monitor OBDII stuff like boost and have other features available. Still should be fairly quick to remove for a dealer trip.

I'll only be running Stage 1, and 20-25hp is worth the minor cost and ease of use IMO.

Ordered with BT kit.

Arrives tomorrow. Weather should be nice so I will install and give it a whirl tomorrow afternoon after work. Need to get the app installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've read that a piggyback while great for Euro cars is not ideal for Honda hence the reason Hondata and KTuner are flashes.

I've also read very extensively that when you flash back to stock they cannot tell the ECU was ever flashed. Is there evidence supporting that they can somewhere? Link?

Have you looked at the site? Under Honda it shows a Civic Sport CVT stock putting down more power than a Civic Si stock by nearly 20hp??? 17hp more for the Sport CVT on stg 1 vs Civic Si on stg 1 Whaaaaaa??????

This is an image posted :

post comment: This is a datalog of a JB4 user on a brand new Audi, your $70k car should not have a datalog that looks that. This is an ECU that is spazzing out because it has no idea what is happening.

You can't be serious. Do better research, then spend the extra $50 and get a KTuner.

·
port & polish everything
1,562 Posts
Hondata and Ktuner say no, dealers cannot detect, assuming you have no other issues. JB says yes they can. The grey area may be supposedly some codes such as overrev or boost can be stored and cannot be erased. I am not sure anyone outside of Honda or their suppliers know for sure. On civicx forums, there are stories both ways. However the handful of stories about voided warranties were big mods and/or overrev. For sure I would not strap on a big turbo, FBO, custom tune and assume you can put everything back and get warranty.

Additionally for some of these aftermarket companies, I am not impressed with their level of knowledge. JB had a thread where the 1.5T CVT behavior was causing them confusion until later they found out "sport mode" causes fake shifts but "drive" doesn't, something any longtime Honda enthusiasts know. Hondata had a handful of incidents with the civic 1.5T CVT oil dilution updates, where apparently some users were getting TCM and ECU updates, but when some users "flashed to stock", the ECM version written back was old, causing a miscompare between the tranny and engine. The tranny and engine firmware knew they were not cross compatible. Hondata did later fix this but it shows you the complexity not accounted for.

Piggyback works better for European cars mostly because those have long been subject to warranty abuse and their ECUs are mostly signed/locked now. The Civic Type R has a Bosch ECU with the same technology and has such a tamper flag. I browsed through VW forums a couple years ago and there were many tuned GTI/Rs that were custom tuned FBO that eventually blew engines/turbos and then many of them tried to warranty the damage. Although I have Ktuner myself, I don't think warranty abuse is a path the community should go down, if you see what happened to european cars locking all their ECUs that's where the path goes.

On youtube there was an interview with a Honda engineer about a turbo TL hillclimb racecar and they were asked if they used a piggyback/standalone and the engineer basically said why would we use that stuff when we have factory tools to tune the factory ECU.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts