Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Jerky acceleration (2.0T MT)

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Oratorio 
#1 ·
I've had my 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T manual transmission for about two months and have put a few thousand km on it. I have noticed that under some conditions, the acceleration is a bit... lumpy. An example might be, moderately heavy throttle, approaching 3K RPM, going up an uphill highway ramp. It's not terribly intrusive, just odd. It's like an erratic surging feeling, like the car is being bumped as it accelerates or as though it's skipping a bit.

The first thing that came to mind was that with regular gas, the car might be preventing detonation/knock and that it may be smoother with premium gas.

#2 ·
It might be your traction control kicking in. Turn it off and see if it repeats itself. Go to the same on-ramp and try to replicate it. Mine does the same thing when I have traction on.

Edit: Read the bottom part of your entry and you're using regular gas? Use premium for a few cycles and see if you feel a difference. I've never messed with regular gas, it was always premium for me.

#7 ·
It might be your traction control kicking in. Turn it off and see if it repeats itself. Go to the same on-ramp and try to replicate it. Mine does the same thing when I have traction on.

Edit: Read the bottom part of your entry and you're using regular gas? Use premium for a few cycles and see if you feel a difference. I've never messed with regular gas, it was always premium for me.
Interesting, thanks! Will try both of those things.

#10 ·
I debated trying premium for a few tanks to compare. Yes I know it's built for reg but I also know new engines have knock sensors and other stuff that can "detune" a engine. My buddy has a 2021 GT mustang and it's only "requires" reg but he said it runs a lot better on premium.

#13 ·
Nothing scientific, but I've kind of noticed that as well, OP. It feels kind of like the clutch is more grabby when the car is at an incline, so it feels like you let your clutch up too quickly.

For me, I just count that as another variable I have to factor when releasing the clutch. On inclines, I'm more gentle and try to get the RPMs a little more exact. 🤷🏾‍♂️

EDIT: Re-read the original post. Looks like my thing is a little different.

#14 ·
Mine in the 10at will upshift in to 4th really stutter if I take my foot off the gas quick. It's weird. I'm use to manual so I constantly lift my foot to allow it to switch gear and when I do paddle stuff, like in a manual. It seems to like it when I do that, but 4th holy crap will go WABA WABA WABA if I put my foot on the gas to re-apply the clutch to the gear but quickly take it off because some numbskull jams their brakes 3 seconds after taking off from a light.. Three very succinct jumps like I just hit a manhole cover, always the same timing to them.

Because of this, I want to get to 5th and up ASAP because all those are OD. Everything below is not meant to go any distance on and it will be hunt city.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.