Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2015 Accord Sport is a 6-speed manual with 2049 miles on it. I noticed that sometimes at idle, I can kind of hear this strange sound, almost sounds like jingling or maybe even crickets? Anyway, the sound only seems to be at idle and doesn't go away or change when I step on the clutch pedal. I initially chalked it up to the direct injection, but the sound comes and goes. I tried listening for it with the screwdriver to the ear trick and the sound seems to be coming from the right side of the engine near the upper corner close to the airbox. What's over there? Does anybody else have this? I tried to make a recording of it but I can't seem to capture the sound right.

·
No PRND
749 Posts
is it at a regular interval? My initial guess is a belt, but need more info. Turn the AC on/off, does it change?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No change with AC on or off. Not really a regular interval either. I was guessing belt too but the sound comes from the side of where the transmission meets the engine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Occasionally on start up I've heard what sounds like a very faint chime from the engine. Just a single one. Is that what you are describing? It only happens if I'm next to a wall and windows down.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
A cricket sound is possibly from something that is turned by the serpentine belt. Alternator, idler, a/c compressor. Look closely at the belt tensioner when the car is idling (don't put your hands near the belt) does it move a lot? It will move a lot more when the engine is making the cricket noise and when the noise stops it won't move much at all. If you take it to the dealer, they would probably take the belt off and start the car, if no noise then it's from one of those rotating pieces.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Sounds like you literally have one of these in your airbox.. lol

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've had this sound on cars before and it could be related to an exhaust gasket somewhere, or the flex pipe. Those things can make some strange noises if they are loose or a gasket isn't seated properly. I'd say let the dealer check it out.

Does it make a difference if the car is warm or not?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just drove the car about 50 miles today and the sound didn't come on at all. The sound is magnified when close to a wall, but it can be heard on open road if you listen for it. The car also doesn't do it when it's cold, only when it's warm and has been driving for awhile.

Driving and performance don't seem to be affected by it and I went through every part I could reach in the area and everything was nice and tight so I'll just have the dealership check it out on my first service. 2100 miles and oil life is still at 70%. I'm really impressed so far.

·
2014 Black Sport 6 spd
73 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about. Mine does it too. I figured a belt or pulley issue. Havent had time to look into it though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It is the direct injection system and pump making that high pitched cricket noise at idle. This is normal.

Reactions: bretcb

·
Registered
202 Posts
the cricket sound could be your clutch throw out bearing.
From what you say, it sounds like the clutch is too new for that though. I know my '94 Acura Legend 6 speed has that cricket sound, and my clutch has 99k on it. (original clutch)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm inclined to think it's the direct injection also. When the car is making the sound, there's no change in the sound when I step on the clutch. The sound seems to come from the area where the high pressure pump is mounted. I wonder what conditions make the sound come and go though?

I drove the car all weekend and it didn't make the sound. No change to diving habits though i stopped filling up with Speedway gas and get either BP or Shell now. (Top Tier gas)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem

Took it to dealer, they said they will check for noise and call me when they are done. and after few hours that they tell me noise is coming from you have your sunglasses in the sunglass holder. Am i that stupid that i wont notice if noise is coming from engine or from sunglasses? I didnt even argue with them cause i have had really bad experience and they always try to avoid their job.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Took it to dealer, they said they will check for noise and call me when they are done. and after few hours that they tell me noise is coming from you have your sunglasses in the sunglass holder. Am i that stupid that i wont notice if noise is coming from engine or from sunglasses? I didnt even argue with them cause i have had really bad experience and they always try to avoid their job.
True story:

I had a weird buzzing/rattling sound I couldn't track down.

Turned out to be the plastic parking permit from work I had put in the sunglass holder because I hate it dangling from the mirror when I am driving.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Accord Sport and had a very annoying cricket/chirping noise near the air box when the car was warm. At first I brushed it off but it got persistently louder. Took into the dealer and turns out it was defect in the High Pressure fuel pump. They replaced the whole assembly and gaskets and now car sounds like any other Accord ????

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is the direct injection system and pump making that high pitched cricket noise at idle. This is normal.
does it sound like this?

So my 2015 Accord Sport is a 6-speed manual with 2049 miles on it. I noticed that sometimes at idle, I can kind of hear this strange sound, almost sounds like jingling or maybe even crickets? Anyway, the sound only seems to be at idle and doesn't go away or change when I step on the clutch pedal. I initially chalked it up to the direct injection, but the sound comes and goes. I tried listening for it with the screwdriver to the ear trick and the sound seems to be coming from the right side of the engine near the upper corner close to the airbox. What's over there? Does anybody else have this? I tried to make a recording of it but I can't seem to capture the sound right.
I have the same issue, have you figured it out yet?

2017 accord here

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Accord Sport and had a very annoying cricket/chirping noise near the air box when the car was warm. At first I brushed it off but it got persistently louder. Took into the dealer and turns out it was defect in the High Pressure fuel pump. They replaced the whole assembly and gaskets and now car sounds like any other Accord ????
So is it fixed now? How much did they charge?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts