Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
No. It's a hybrid. I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's a hybrid, but it's faster than the regular v6 stock, & I can't think of any reasons you could modify the v6 or the motor, because they're 2 separate systems pulling a combined effort. 2 different sources for power. If the engine can hold boost...

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
It's an automatic. A known-to-have-issues automatic at that. You'd be better off: buying a different car, waiting for the multi thousand dollar battery to go bad, or just accepting the fact that it's a hybrid and will never be fast.

EDIT: Not only is it slower in all aspects in comparison to the V6 models, 0-60 and 1/4 mile, it weighs 150lbs more.

source: Edmunds, Honda

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Ha ha ha....

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's an automatic. A known-to-have-issues automatic at that. You'd be better off: buying a different car, waiting for the multi thousand dollar battery to go bad, or just accepting the fact that it's a hybrid and will never be fast.

EDIT: Not only is it slower in all aspects in comparison to the V6 models, 0-60 and 1/4 mile, it weighs 150lbs more.

6.9 sec 0 to 60 mph for this hybrid. http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2005-honda-accord-hybrid/4505-10865_7-31352107-2.html
Where do you see it's slower?
But this time only good when hybrid battery is good as new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This' obnoxious for a few reasons
1) Clearly, you know nothing about electric power. Electric motors with lithium ion batteries are able to produce higher HP & torque at lower rpms than gasoline internal combustion engines due to having a higher energy density. So electric power is the future of performance without a doubt.
2) Hypothetically, someone could change the batteries in the hybrid accord, do some motor (not engine) mods & have increased HP & instant torque provided by an electric motor, though which mods I do not yet know
3). The engine in question should be fully capable of producing sufficient power, but that's what I came here to find out. NOT be flamed by someone who doesn't know anything about the topic.
4). A hybrid system means there are 2 power sources cooperating together for a sum horsepower. Ergo there are 2 separate systems to mod, & you'd have a wealth of things to augment for extra power.
5) The hybrid accord was made for performance, & I would like to use it as such. If you did your homework on what electric hybrid meant, then you would realize that hypothetically the hybrid accord has near infinitely more performance potential than the standard v6, I mainly just want to know how much boost it can hold.
6). I'm not doing this for mileage reasons so if you're gonna say it defeats the point, I don't care. It's about power.
7). You clearly don't know how to answer my question. Don't you have anything better to do than flame?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Where do you see it's slower?
Well if you must have everything laid out for you...

http://www.modernracer.com/hondaaccordex.html

0-60 time for Accord V6 is 6.7
6.7 is less than 6.9 for the hybrid.

Not to mention that the 6MT does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. 5.8 is less than both 6.7 and 6.9. I'm no mathematician, but the math isn't hard. The hybrid's 1/4 mile time is a full second slower than the 6MT.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Honda-Vtech-0-60-mph-Times.html

P.S. All I know is that RickBlaine's Accord has never seen a set of taillights.

Don't you have anything better to do than flame?
No sir.

But, by your logic, the new Mitsubishi i-MiEV could be in supercar territory with battery mods. I mean, it is all electric which has the continuum transfunctioner power to go ungodly fast because of its infinite torque at 0 rpm.

Take a breather.

Now examine what you are asking.

You want to boost a family sedan in hybrid form with an automatic transmission? This is not making sense. Why not choose a 100% EV vehicle to modify if they're so great?

I'm sure you'll now tell me the advantages of planatary gears and CVTs and the like.

I would love for you to elaborate on how the hybrid is built for performance but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure the whole "logic and practical" argument has offended you to the point of not returning to the internet so... Au revoir, Eel.

Oh and as for the whole "no knowledge of the subject," yes, you are correct. Nobody here was stupid enough to boost an Accord hybrid to share their experience with you.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Eel: You really have no idea what you are talking about.

You are new, and ask an open-ended question as your first post (nice use of "please" and "thank you", by the way).

Then you say "...I can't think of any reasons you could modify the v6 or the motor..." I think you meant to say "...that you can't think of any reasons WHY YOU CAN'T modify..." But who knows, because you are new.

Then a knowledgeable member, CM6, answers your question and you attack the man.

Eel, what you fail to realize is that these are NOT "two separate systems", as you indicated. They work in balance with one another. Does it have performance potential, sure it does. Will it still run? Not a chance in heck.

Then I read your ivory tower lecture about electric power....

You wrote some truths but your conclusions derived are wrong.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Jeez Rick, why are you always so hard on people? Just because you have the baddest, fastest, saltiest Accord in the esteemed USA doesn't mean you can be such a big bad meanie.

Just kidding.

Eel, I find what you're asking interesting. I don't think Honda tuned the Accord Hybrid for maximum performance from the factory but theoretically you could find a way to make it work that way. Theoretically. If you are (or are very close to) an electrical and mechanical engineer, give it a shot and report the results.

Don't take forum responses personally, lots of people have humongous internet testes and will flaunt them behind the cover of their computer (even though I didn't see anything bad in this thread).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
And here I thought the hybrid was built for fuel economy... I guess you learn something new every day.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Eel, I find what you're asking interesting. I don't think Honda tuned the Accord Hybrid for maximum performance from the factory but theoretically you could find a way to make it work that way. Theoretically. If you are (or are very close to) an electrical and mechanical engineer, give it a shot and report the results.
Now THAT is what I should have written. Diplomatic and to the point, while acknowledging and gently guiding....I apologize.

I do agree that electric is the future. In 1999 I spent a couple weeks in Japan at the Toyota HQ and saw (and drove) the first Prius. Their engineers all said that it would take awhile, so they would introduce hybrids first. Interesting, they thought China would be the first large country to go full electric- their government could have just ordered it so. With the large amount of smog in China, and the ability to install charging stations everywhere, I do expect China to eventually surpass the USA in all electrics.

In the meantime, my Accord- the fastest, baddest Accord to see civilian street, shall be safely known as the quickest Accord on earth.

And here I thought the hybrid was built for fuel economy... I guess you learn something new every day.
I should search and link but the fastest 1/4 mile motorcycle dragster is 100% powered by lithium ion batteries. The engineers actually hooked up about 300 cell phone batteries to do this.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
While there is no debate that the combination of the V6 internal combustion engine and a high efficiency/high torque motor will produce more horsepower and torque than just the V6 internal combustion engine, don't forget that comes with an 120 lb weight penalty according (pun intended) to http://www.automedia.com/2005_Honda_Accord_Hybrid/rts20050201ah/1

The design objective of the hybrid is to conserve and recover otherwise wasted energy through regenerative braking, and stopping the engine while the car is not in motion AND charging is not required.

Sure you can improve the performance of the gas engine with better exhaust system components or maybe even a custom turbo or Comptech supercharger, but I suspect you won't be able to do much with the electric motor side of the hybrid system without junking all but the motor, rig up the latest and greatest lithium-ion battery packs to increase the overall performance.

Then only to see the transmission spit out gear pieces through the exhaust pipes and smell burnt electrical components from wires and/or the motor.

What I'm saying is that I simply fail to see why you want to take on this mod?! If you got time and money to burn so you can prove a point, then feel free to go ahead, I'm sure we will all be interested to see how far you can take this to.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
I do think there is performance potential.

I say this because at the time the CR-Z released I remember seeing 3rd party companies at auto shows turning that snoozer of a hybrid into a turbo charged beast.

There are some differences of course, primarily that you can get a CR-Z in a manual, and that would solve a lot of the transmission issues.

The way that the hybrid systems are managed are likely quite different but perhaps a CR-Z forum might be able to give you some advice.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Exactly! Increasing power is not done in a vacuum. You have to upgrade everything with a 7th Gen hybrid. There is potential, but....

I love Honda's S2000, but those trannys and axles could not handle 300 HP and the rest of the car could not survive with that power. So tuners stuck with the Evo and the WRX. The S2000 was not designed as a super fast car, but rather, as a fun car to drive. There is a performance place near me- Driver's Image of Skokie....they used to have 1-2 blown up S2000's parked out front every week. They kept selling power upgrades to S2000 owners, and then got money for transmission repairs. Took about four years for S2000 owners in the area to finally realize to stop messing with Honda engineering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do suppose you're right. I'm sorry for going off the handle. I'm just tired of finding absolutely no information on the topic, & whenever I do find a post about it, it gets flamed, & the question is never answered. I was actually considering increasing the voltage of the motor, replacing the batteries with lithium ion, & stripping as much weight off the car as possible. You see, I'm going currently in college, & 1 of my majors is electrical engineering. Though I haven't been attending long enough to learn anything yet, as soon as I take circuits, I'd have a toy with which to tinker.

I recognize you being right about the 1/4 b/w the 2 automatics barely being in the regular v6's favor. However, I believe weight reduction, coupled with modification should make a wide enough power gap in the hybrid's favor. I've also considered trying to find out a way to control when the motor kicks in, & disabling the v6's eco-mode. As for the transmission, that is a huge problem. I haven't yet figured out what to do. Surely, it will give out rather soon into modding it, but as a DSM guy transmission ills are not new to me. It would most likely have to be built. Though, it'd still be slower than a manual transmission. I've yet to come up with a solution. However, if I can get enough power that it doesn't matter, well it doesn't matter.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Well, if you gain the confidence (and have the smarts, I graduated with an engineering degree and I can tell you not all engineers have the smarts), take a stab at it. Be an innovator. How often do people agree with or understand why an innovator innovates (oh yea, I went there)?

DO IT!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the support man. I hope to get 1 of these babies soon, & make people eat their words.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Eel: My apology to you, sir.

Many in my family are engineers and we have had lots of great discussions about "What if we did..." and I should encourage this. Because that is how you learn and grow, and become great. Don't play life too safe.

So I got to thinking about the 7th Gen Accord Hybrid. On this forum, there are only a few members with that car. On the 9th Gen forum, there are more and more 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid owners. None are talking performance (outside of mpg) just yet; and the 9th Gen has a very different hybrid system than the 7th hybrid system.

So that leaves us the Prius. I checked with an engineer buddy of mine this morning (he once converted a Mazda Miata to all-electric because he had one month of free time and wanted to do it). He sent me this link: http://www.worldcarfans.com/10412289819/landspeed-prius-races-across-bonneville-salt-flats

That Prius had weight savings, an increase in voltage from 500 to 550, a bump in the engine redline, and a change in the final drive gearing of the transmission.

He then told me about a guy who put a small turbo on his Prius. The transmission is the weak link with that car. He will probably get an all-electric Prius or Nissan Leaf to play with, since the newer electrics drive the wheels directly from the electric motor- not any transmission.

Then again, the best way to get an engineer to do something is to tell him it can't be done. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well if you must have everything laid out for you...

http://www.modernracer.com/hondaaccordex.html

0-60 time for Accord V6 is 6.7
6.7 is less than 6.9 for the hybrid.

Not to mention that the 6MT does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. 5.8 is less than both 6.7 and 6.9. I'm no mathematician, but the math isn't hard. The hybrid's 1/4 mile time is a full second slower than the 6MT.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Honda-Vtech-0-60-mph-Times.html

P.S. All I know is that RickBlaine's Accord has never seen a set of taillights.

No sir.

But, by your logic, the new Mitsubishi i-MiEV could be in supercar territory with battery mods. I mean, it is all electric which has the continuum transfunctioner power to go ungodly fast because of its infinite torque at 0 rpm.

Take a breather.

Now examine what you are asking.

You want to boost a family sedan in hybrid form with an automatic transmission? This is not making sense. Why not choose a 100% EV vehicle to modify if they're so great?

I'm sure you'll now tell me the advantages of planatary gears and CVTs and the like.

I would love for you to elaborate on how the hybrid is built for performance but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure the whole "logic and practical" argument has offended you to the point of not returning to the internet so... Au revoir, Eel.

Oh and as for the whole "no knowledge of the subject," yes, you are correct. Nobody here was stupid enough to boost an Accord hybrid to share their experience with you.
0-60 times are all debatable since nobody did a direct racing between those cars in the same conditions bone stock. I can tell that my 2007 HAH hybrid had a faster pick up from dead stop than my current 2013 Touring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts