Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 accord V6 (with a J30A5 engine). I managed to acquire a JNA1 intake manifold, and I'm wondering of it will give any performance improvements. It is visibly different from the J30A5 manifold, and the JNA1 makes more power than the J30A5, so presumably it can flow more air than the J30A5 manifold. Has anyone actually checked if the JNA1 manifold flows better, or has nobody bothered to test the Hybrid for performance?

· Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
JNA1 manifold = J35 magnesium manifold that comes with the Pilot, MDX, and Odyssey. I have this exact setup with some extras. The engine will gain more mid and top end power but you should couple with port and polished lower intake runners. The manifold bolts on directly. It does flow better although I don't have numbers for you, I can feel the extra power after the upgrade. Plus the manifold is 8lb lighter than the J30A4/5 aluminum intake manifold with way less heat soaking issue.

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JNA1 manifold = J35 magnesium manifold that comes with the Pilot, MDX, and Odyssey. I have this exact setup with some extras. The engine will gain more mid and top end power but you should couple with port and polished lower intake runners. The manifold bolts on directly. It does flow better although I don't have numbers for you, I can feel the extra power after the upgrade. Plus the manifold is 8lb lighter than the J30A4/5 aluminum intake manifold with way less heat soaking issue.
Thanks! I do plan to buy ported intake runners to go with it, and wire up a logic controller so the butterfly valves will work (since the auto doesn't have the butterfly valves stock). Looks like grabbing it on a whim because It was only $20 was a good idea after all.

· Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
You do not use the top cover from the top cover that comes with that manifold, you use one with flat bottom without the butterfly valve inside and electronic plug on the side from a same gen Honda Odyssey or an 8th gen Accord V6 auto. That butterfly valve actually decreases the inside chamber space. Some guys choose to use that plate, but you need to remove the 2 rectangular plates inside. Below is what the 08 Accord V6's plate's bottom look like, when I polished then installed. You can see there is no valve actuator on the side.

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do not use the top cover from the top cover that comes with that manifold, you use one with flat bottom without the butterfly valve inside and electronic plug on the side from a same gen Honda Odyssey or an 8th gen Accord V6 auto. That butterfly valve actually decreases the inside chamber space. Some guys choose to use that plate, but you need to remove the 2 rectangular plates inside. Below is what the 08 Accord V6's plate's bottom look like, when I polished then installed. You can see there is no valve actuator on the side.

View attachment 524358 View attachment 524359
The butterfly valves are restrictive even when open? I figured if I can make them open like 4000 RPM like they do stock, I'd get more torque at low RPMs while not restricting it at high RPMs. I suppose if that's true it'll save me a lot of wiring.

Also, nice heat shielding. Anything in particular you recommend for the intake/exhaust?

· Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
YES, the butterfly valves are still more restrictive even than a wide open plate like I showed you above.

You can get more torque down low by using the MDX or Odyssey intake manifold spacer, the torque curve is shifted down. I also use the J35 crank pulley from an Acura MDX that's 3.5lb lighter than the Accord V6's 8lb crank pulley, which gives you more torque down low also.

· Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES, the butterfly valves are still more restrictive even than a wide open plate like I showed you above.

You can get more torque down low by using the MDX or Odyssey intake manifold spacer, the torque curve is shifted down. I also use the J35 crank pulley from an Acura MDX that's 3.5lb lighter than the Accord V6's 8lb crank pulley, which gives you more torque down low also.
Alright. I really like the idea of having working butterfly valves in my Accord, but if better runners/spacers will make up for the bottom end torque loss from deleting them I'll do it. Thanks for the info

View attachment 524358 View attachment 524359
I found an 06 odyssey in a junkyard, it had butterfly valves in it :(.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.