Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!!

Love my new car!!!
however there are a few things bothering me .......

-terrible mpg - 18 to 19 mostly city...

-engine noise and road noise are very loud

-and the ride is very rough on uneven pavement a bumpy ride

car has 30 k on it have had it in to the dealer twice to look over they've said the drivability is fine.... and that i could take some air out if my tires but that may worsen my mpg....
what mpg do you guys get at 100% city driving???

is this a good car the 8th gen accord ??
have a made a good decision?

can i do anything to quiet down and smooth out the engine ??? a synthetic oil?...

engine is loud and feels like it is working to hard at low speeds
kind of wines....

the road noise ???

do these sound dampening panels help ? worth the money?
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/77346-TA6-A01.html
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/77323-TA6-A01.html

they only come in the v6 model?

would appreciate any feedback suggestions....

·
Accordial
36 Posts
Congrats on the new accord:thmsup:

you did post this in the 7th gen section(you have an 8th gen)

but to answer a few of your questions as far as the gas milage and it sounds like you have a rough idle, go ahead and clean your MAF sensor. You'd be amazed at all the problems that can fix. Also take a look at your engine air filter, if it's dirty that can also effect milage as well as performance.

btw, just for comparison I get about 25 mpg at about 90% city driving

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
If it's on the stock Dunlop tires...they **** . Lots of noise.

The links you posted are for Coupe only. Won't work with sedan.

No idea about engine noise. Been running the SRI forever so forgot what it sounds like without it ;)

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
There's a forum member, mikey914, who gets the same city mileage you get so I don't think there's anything wrong there.

These 8th gens are not known for a cushy ride. Some call it harsh. So again I don't think there's anything wrong there either.

8th gen Accords do have an abundance of road noise as compared to other cars in their class.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I get 26.8 mpg about 80% city 20% highway, once i did mostly city and i got 21.4 so if you are doing 100% city driving and getting 19 mpg, thats about right.

The car is noisy. I have been told the road noise is from the stock tires, I havent yet changed mine since i bought the car so I can't confirm that

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2010 as well. When I first bought the car I was running about 22-23 mixed driving. Now that I have had it a few months it's gone up to about 27. Virginia Mountains are hard on it.

I have the stock Michelins and they have been great. I don't really notice any road noise but then again I came from a 94 that felt rough all the time

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The noisy, rough ride has always been an Accord hallmark. If you want something smooth and quiet in this class, get a Camry.

Having owned both a 2010 and 2011, I know exactly what you mean about the noisy engine and strained feeling at low speeds. The 2010 was the worst offender in that regard. The 2011 has a bit more insulation, so the engine is quieter and therefore sounds more refined. It's funny because Honda never advertised any such change for 2011, but I noticed it immediately on the first test drive. Obviously, you have a 2010 so there's nothing that you can do there.

What I can suggest, and I know I'll get flamed off the forum for this, is to try running premium gas. I've noticed a difference in both my 2010 and 2011 running premium as opposed to regular. The engine feels and sounds more refined, and there's some added pep, especially in the low-end. I switched back to regular for a few thousand miles earlier this year after running premium for almost 2 years. Not even thinking about it, I started to notice that the car just didn't feel as responsive as before. Then it dawned on me that it must be the fuel, so I switched back to premium. It continued to feel sluggish for a while until suddenly about halfway through the first tank of 93, it felt like its old self again. So I suggest filling it up with premium for a few tanks to see if you can feel the same difference that I did. Oh yeah, and my mileage improved slightly as well, but only by 1 or 2 MPG.

And before people start whining about premium and how it costs more...spare me. If you can't afford a few bucks extra per fill-up then you should probably trade your Accord in for a bus pass. Seriously, just by quitting smoking I've managed to save 10 times more money than it costs me to fill up with premium rather than regular every few weeks.

All I can say is try it. If it doesn't work out, then go back to regular. No harm done and you're only out 2 or 3 bucks per tank.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
The noisy, rough ride has always been an Accord hallmark. If you want something smooth and quiet in this class, get a Camry.

Having owned both a 2010 and 2011, I know exactly what you mean about the noisy engine and strained feeling at low speeds. The 2010 was the worst offender in that regard. The 2011 has a bit more insulation, so the engine is quieter and therefore sounds more refined. It's funny because Honda never advertised any such change for 2011, but I noticed it immediately on the first test drive. Obviously, you have a 2010 so there's nothing that you can do there.

What I can suggest, and I know I'll get flamed off the forum for this, is to try running premium gas. I've noticed a difference in both my 2010 and 2011 running premium as opposed to regular. The engine feels and sounds more refined, and there's some added pep, especially in the low-end. I switched back to regular for a few thousand miles earlier this year after running premium for almost 2 years. Not even thinking about it, I started to notice that the car just didn't feel as responsive as before. Then it dawned on me that it must be the fuel, so I switched back to premium. It continued to feel sluggish for a while until suddenly about halfway through the first tank of 93, it felt like its old self again. So I suggest filling it up with premium for a few tanks to see if you can feel the same difference that I did. Oh yeah, and my mileage improved slightly as well, but only by 1 or 2 MPG.

And before people start whining about premium and how it costs more...spare me. If you can't afford a few bucks extra per fill-up then you should probably trade your Accord in for a bus pass. Seriously, just by quitting smoking I've managed to save 10 times more money than it costs me to fill up with premium rather than regular every few weeks.

All I can say is try it. If it doesn't work out, then go back to regular. No harm done and you're only out 2 or 3 bucks per tank.
He has a 4 cylinder. They're made to run best on mid grade 89. If anything, fill up with this as your probably like most people and using regular

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Accord LX w/36k miles earlier this month.

Actually I thought it was quiet and had a good ride. But I see I'm mistaken.

The ride is a bit more precise and isn't as boaty as the 2002 Impala I traded in. But the mileage is about the same at 19-20 mpg all city, so I understand your pain. One would think that a 2010 sedan in the same class as a 2002 car would have better mileage. Nope, at least not for me. It may be a little noisier than the Impala, but I can't really tell. I haven't driven it only highway yet, so I can't comment on wind noise. My only mistake may have been not getting an EX, but at $3k less, the LX was in the sweet spot.

If you want a harsh ride try a Civic. I have one of those too. It's like driving a go-kart. But I still love it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes 18-19 is poor....and that is EXACTLY what my son gets in his 08 coupe simply back and forth to his high school just 4 miles away. I have tried cleaning the MAF sensor, putting 38 psi in all the tires.... Nothin helps
Airlaird

1 - 11 of 11 Posts