Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
203,0000+ Miles.
My last Honda was a 73 CVCC."The Great Pumpkin." back in High school.

There is some shift issues with 1st to second. What little I've read so far this seems to be a common problem /weakness in these cars. The previous owner said its been doing that for the last 6 years.
So my main question is would rebuilding or putting in a reman unit in cure the problem or am I better off to leave it alone? That is aside from draining and refilling.
I guess I want to know if the problems with the original transmission has been addressed with upgraded parts in the rebuild or if the rebuilds just uses same OEM deficient parts.
Thanks.
I'm sure I'll be lurking around for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
As long as the gears don't slip, I'd say just do a drain and fill and either add or replace the inline filter. You may also want to add a transmission cooler for additional protection.

If it really bothers you after doing the above, check the solenoid clean it, replace it. I wouldn't go out and replace or rebuild the transmission right now until it fails.

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
W/203K miles, I'd just run the car into ground without doing anything expensive. Just keep up with fluid changes and maybe throw some Lubeguard Red into the tranny to see if it fixes the issue. Even if it doesn't, the stuff won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. Does that include the timing belt /water pump? Previous owner changed the oil spring/fall and relined the brakes. Thats it.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Hmm.. Does that include the timing belt /water pump? Previous owner changed the oil spring/fall and relined the brakes. Thats it.
On these cars, doing the water pump is best done along with the timing belt since all that hardware will be right there when that happens. Also, the timing belt job ranges anywhere from $500 - $800 depending on the shop's rates they charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts