Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Just bought metra 99-7803G and Pioneer AVH X3500BHS

15K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  stiller fan 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

I just purchased the Metra 99-7803G kit and the Pioneer AVH x3500BHS DVD radio. The plan is to install this on my own. The metra kit was 202$ on amazon and the pioneer was about 250$ price matched at best buy. I also ordered the wiring harness for the accord. I plan to install this some time tomorrow so I am looking for advice from someone who has possibly done this before or who could point me towards a thread on here that could offer some insight. Based on the metra installation guide available here http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-7803G_web.pdf

and the instructions from pioneer, it seems pretty straight forward.

Does anyone have anything that could help me out?

Also I have a 2003 accord lx i4.

AND if anyone was wondering there is absolutely nothing wrong with my factory radio and climate control I will be looking to sell it if i can get it out without damaging it.

-Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
Are you sure the harness is plugged into the manual AC slot in the back of the metra unit?

Did you read the directions about programming the unit?

After making all connections start the
vehicle. Press and hold the rear defrost
button until the LCD display starts
flashing. At this point the kit is learning
the type vehicle it’s connected to (so
don’t touch anything!). The LCD will
stop flashing after 30 to 60 seconds
and the kit is now programmed. This
is so the kit identifies whether it is in a
manual or auto climate system

#10 ·
Guys, does anyone know if this Metra kit works with the OEM lower pocket? I see that Metra also sells the lower pocket, but am not sure if it's a must.

Robot Check

#12 ·
Guys, does anyone know if this Metra kit works with the OEM lower pocket? I see that Metra also sells the lower pocket, but am not sure if it's a must.

Robot Check
You want this one: Robot Check

I've been using the Pioneer 3800bhs and this for about a year now, works great, even have a backup camera connected, works flawlessly.

#11 ·
I have the Metra in my car and I kept the factory lower pocket. The only problem with it is you have to keep the pocket door open because there isn't enough clearance for door to swing shut.

#15 ·
Oh, gotcha. My initial question was with having Metra AC controller and double din up top. Thanks

#19 ·
I think a HU in the lower cubby looks much more out of place than the metra dash kit does. Plus who wants to have to look down there to see the screen? To each their own though.

To answer your question Drew, no you can't use the stock cubby. There isn't enough clearance to open and shut the cubby door. If you want it to LOOK like the stock cubby, just take the door off the stock cubby and attach it to the metra cubby with velcro or magnets. It won't slide up and down anymore but it will look OEM and it is very easy to pop on and off.

#20 ·
Thanks, guys. Like I said... no good options. They both have major drawbacks and some positives.

#21 ·
Man...this thing looks like a baboon's ass compared to stock. Why didn't Metra put the HU opening up top and the AC/Heat controls below, in the V shape? Not enough room?

#25 ·
I agree that security-wise, the lower cubby is the best option. Especially if you Velcro in the stock cubby cover.

So what is the functionality and lighting up top now? I assume just the OEM radio face remains dark but the all temp controls are lit and working? How about some pics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.