Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I, here's the deal, first off, I'm the kind of guy that likes the clean sleek look, and I remove all goofy looking manufacturer add ons I can to achieve my goal SO... That being said, I bought my 2014 accord Saturday dec 14th 2013, ans Sunday the 15th I go to remove the front license plate and I notice the bracket is mounted to the bumper by 2 screws that go directly into the paint in the front damaging the paint and the bumper plastic. The front bracket is so poorly mounted that I'm certain after a couple of years when the car is not that old the front license plate bracket will be falling off if you are the type of person that is on the highway most of the time at 60Mph+ speeds. So am I out of line when I say I want it repaired because I don't want any holes in my BRAND NEW car?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ya that's pretty gross. There are about a zillion front plate brackets that have L shaped mounts so that it tucks in under a part of the bumper/grill area, such that if its removed there are no holes in the bumper. In fact, the car I just bought this week had such a bracket.

If it were me I'd make the dealer fix it. There is no excuse for just bombing screws right through the bumper cover.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Good luck getting it fixed unless you told them ahead of time not to install the bracket.
This.

Was the mount on the car when you test drove it? If so I'm pretty sure you are out of luck, man.

Jay

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Is it a state that requires a front plate?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can argue it out at the dealership mine came hooked. But before that i found a dent on the left side of it and had it repaired... Lets say you going to have to argue a lot because they will come up with millions of excuses

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
Welcome to the club. Deal with it. There are much more important things in life than two barely noticeable holes on your front bumper. I have them. I was pissed for about a minute.

·
13 Bagged Accord EXL V6
230 Posts
Just get Bumper plugs from Bumperplugs.com it come factory paint matched for $30

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've forgotten all about mine. They are barely noticeable. No reason to get all worked up about it. If you have kids, a few weeks with them in the car and all of a sudden dust on the dash and two tiny holes in the bumper become very insignificant.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I feel your pain I hate dealers that do lazy and incompetent work
While I agree with this, there is nothing lazy or incompetent about mounting the front plate bracket like this. That is how it is designed to be mounted. If the state requires a front plate, the car MUST be delivered with a front plate mount, unless you make other arrangements with the dealer beforehand. I think you'll have some trouble getting the dealer to replace the bumper cover for you though. Just get some bumper plugs and forget about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just get Bumper plugs from Bumperplugs.com it come factory paint matched for $30
I didn't know they had that, I personally was going to have them repair it, take the car back and replace it with one that had no holes yet off the truck, or take them to small claims for the damages, and see if I could get the damages because I would have not bought that car had I known it had that, I would have had the guy find one without the bracket installed.

I live in Los Angeles California and yes, front plates are required, but allot of people don't have them and most Cops don't care anyways. In any case, it's my choice if I want to get a ticket, and I can't believe the idiot designers having made the accord for so long in the USA didn't thing of making a place for the front plate. The car is awesome, and I was sold on it when I drove it, but man this is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

I'm wondering who's bright mind it went through that said "oh! Just put holes in the bumper cover through the paint!"

Given that California requires a front plate, it should be mandatory that e cars sold here have a proper mounting place for the plate. I'll post a pic of how the bracket looks and goes on the car. Honestly I put 25-30k on a car a year and that bracket will not last and my plate could potentially end up on the freeway because the screws didn't support it and potentially hurt someone if it comes off at high speeds.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On my '99 the front bracket is the same, mounted to the bumper. While it could definitely be a better design, it has held up for over 200,000 miles. On my '13, I've relocated the plate lower and used black vinyl dots to cover the holes. You don't really notice them if you're not looking for tem. I've long since forgotten they're there.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I didn't know they had that, I personally was going to have them repair it, take the car back and replace it with one that had no holes yet off the truck, or take them to small claims for the damages, and see if I could get the damages because I would have not bought that car had I known it had that, I would have had the guy find one without the bracket installed.

I live in Los Angeles California and yes, front plates are required, but allot of people don't have them and most Cops don't care anyways. In any case, it's my choice if I want to get a ticket, and I can't believe the idiot designers having made the accord for so long in the USA didn't thing of making a place for the front plate. The car is awesome, and I was sold on it when I drove it, but man this is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

I'm wondering who's bright mind it went through that said "oh! Just put holes in the bumper cover through the paint!"

Given that California requires a front plate, it should be mandatory that e cars sold here have a proper mounting place for the plate. I'll post a pic of how the bracket looks and goes on the car. Honestly I put 25-30k on a car a year and that bracket will not last and my plate could potentially end up on the freeway because the screws didn't support it and potentially hurt someone if it comes off at high speeds.
You do know that this has been the norm for mounting front plate brackets since the Mid-80s when most manufactures went to Endura bumpers, right? :yes:

I am all for you taking them to court. I want to see how that plays out.

Jay

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts

I tend to think that you would have near zero chance of prevailing in your argument if your state/city requires a front plate by law, and you hadn't told the dealer not to put a front plate before delivery, whether it's with the dealer, Honda or courts.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Well, now that you do have the mounting holes in the bumper, why not protect that bumper with one of these.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
State requires front plate.....
No instructions given to dealer.....
You drove off with the car.....
You don't plan on having a front plate installed.....
Buy the bumper plugs.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Put a front plate on with a proper license plate mount and call it a day.

If holes in your bumper to mount a plate that is required by law makes you "PISSED", I'd hate to see what happens when you have a real problem in life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure how you can win this one. Your state requires a front plate. The dealer put one in. You now want to sue because you are unhappy about the positioning that has been the norm for over 20 years? Good luck......

1 - 20 of 86 Posts