Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the fine folks on here who posted about the TSB 13-053 (for those interested, it is attached), the dealer just completed it and I picked up my car (14 LX) this afternoon. I ensured that the dealer put back in CVT transmission (it was on the work ticket) and confirm they did - I read about a dealer who put regular automatic fluid in it and was a fiasco.

I had the hesitation and juddering described in the TSB, albeit very mild (enough for the tech to notice when we drove it this morning), so they agreed to do the work in the TSB (I had a printed copy of it and they agreed it needed to be done, my VIN was in the range).

I can tell you that in the short drive from the dealer to my work (approx. 7 miles), the difference in the transmission smoothness is night and day. The vehicle no longer shakes when coming to a stop and isn't jerky at all.

The true test will be in the AM when it sits overnight, but, overall, it def. made a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They started working on it at 7:41 this morning and called me to come get it at 1:00. When I got there, they had just finished the test drive and took it through the car wash, so, take that for what it is worth.

They did put 21 miles on it from when we got back from the test drive this morning so, I am okay with that given how well it operates now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ugh, not the dreaded dealer car wash. I always insist they do not wash my car. It's almost as bad as going through a gas station car wash.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one they use is touch less so, it's better than the one that would touch my car - which I refuse...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update this morning - absolutely no jitters or shaking this morning. Much smoother operation of the vehicle, so, if anyone is hesitant to have this done, I would recommend it if the vehicle falls within the range.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good question...

I would think with the current operation of the transmission, that the correct fluid is in there...but, I could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Even though your work ticket said they used CVT fluid, is there another way to confirm?
If they replaced the fluid with wrong stuff, the transmission will probably fail or not run properly and the mistake would be covered under the warranty. Honda will give you a brand new transmission and provide you with a free loaner as well as an apology. :grin

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,224 Posts
You can at least confirm the correct fluid used by looking at the fluid color, through the fill plug with a stick.

The VIN range is really a bogus excuses. So, honda mfr purposely had such vin range with different transmission kit installed, while other vin range used different transmission kit. It doesn't make sense, are they different because they know it would cause this type of TSB problem? or because LX was meant to use cheaper trans kit in production, hence not all vin are affected.

Would you think the EX already had the updated kit installed, or it has the same faulty kit in there? I wouldn't think mfr would used different parts for mass production. I can see at least the LX brake pads are slight different, maybe for cutting costs vs EX brake pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much 0REDSOX7 for the info in the PDF, I actually emailed it to the dealership right now and they told me that my car wouldn't qualify for that update because the check engine light has to come on first......so frustrating!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you so much 0REDSOX7 for the info in the PDF, I actually emailed it to the dealership right now and they told me that my car wouldn't qualify for that update because the check engine light has to come on first......so frustrating!
This is bullshit. Call them again and tell them that the revised TSB covers all cars and if they don't do it you're gonna call Honda HQ and go out loud about this. Or find another dealer.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that this CVT behavior has nothing to do with check engine light.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How much of a judder are we talking about? In the morning, after reversing out of the garage, I notice a very slight judder (like 2-3 'bumps' for lack of a better description) when I slowly accelerate. It doesn't happen if I hit the gas a little harder.

Just checked and my 2014 EX-L is outside of the updated TSB (299xxx). I thought it was 'normal' and not a big deal but not sure if this is what is referred to in the TSB.

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best way to describe the sensation I had, was this.

If you've ever driven a manual and, in first gear, put the engine in high RPMs and then step off the gas, you would get a jerky action until you either shifted up, or gave more throttle...

That is what my Accord was doing - and took it in and got the new valve body (and new fluid, too, at 13K :)) The difference was night and day, especially in the morning after the car has cooled down considerably. I would keep pushing for the repair. You may have to leave your car over night so they get it when completely cooled down.

·
Just Do It
300 Posts
Thanks to the fine folks on here who posted about the TSB 13-053 (for those interested, it is attached), the dealer just completed it and I picked up my car (14 LX) this afternoon. I ensured that the dealer put back in CVT transmission (it was on the work ticket) and confirm they did - I read about a dealer who put regular automatic fluid in it and was a fiasco.

I had the hesitation and juddering described in the TSB, albeit very mild (enough for the tech to notice when we drove it this morning), so they agreed to do the work in the TSB (I had a printed copy of it and they agreed it needed to be done, my VIN was in the range).

I can tell you that in the short drive from the dealer to my work (approx. 7 miles), the difference in the transmission smoothness is night and day. The vehicle no longer shakes when coming to a stop and isn't jerky at all.

The true test will be in the AM when it sits overnight, but, overall, it def. made a difference.
have you had any issues with this at all? I had the same tsb 13-053 performed on my car, the difference is night and day but i have another issue. The judder is still there but very small, only happens when cruising at low rpms or speeds. When the car shifts from 1 or 2 down to full stop. sometimes it happens often. Seems as this tsb doesn't fix it completely or the dealer did a bad job.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've noticed that on my 13 EX-L I4 ever since I bought it. I thought it was normal assuming that the ECON button made it do that. Then I noticed it happen without the ECON button on.

Do you guys think they will do this for free on my car? I'm at 120K already.

·
Just Do It
300 Posts
I've noticed that on my 13 EX-L I4 ever since I bought it. I thought it was normal assuming that the ECON button made it do that. Then I noticed it happen without the ECON button on.

Do you guys think they will do this for free on my car? I'm at 120K already.
120k?? how do you possibly drive so much? You will have to fight your dealership for that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts