Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth getting a used Honda motor and putting it in? Not sure because, I still would have 180,000 on tranny and everything else if I did find 90K motor to put in.........

A little disappointed since it's a K24, but I heard some of them burn oil..........I guess lucky me......:thumbsdow:dunno:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Is it worth getting a used Honda motor and putting it in? Not sure because, I still would have 180,000 on tranny and everything else if I did find 90K motor to put in.........

A little disappointed since it's a K24, but I heard some of them burn oil..........I guess lucky me......:thumbsdow:dunno:
Not really worth it with that many miles on it. Probably better just to top it off every 1000 miles.

Try a conventional high-mileage oil if you're currently using synthetic.

·
Army of the Pharaohs
30 Posts
If there is no visible leak from the engine, then your next course of action is to have a compression test and a leak-down test performed. These tests will pinpoint the oil consumption to a specific cylinder or cylinders. In all likelihood, your engine is burning oil through the piston rings and a rebuild in the only course of action.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can rebuild the motor like the one poster from Mexico on here did - he rebuilt the motor with the motor in the car :)

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you have? Blue smoke or a fat oil spot on the driveway/garage floor?
No........a little white smoke if I accelerate to get on an on-ramp. no leaks or blue smoke.......

What brand and weight of oil are you using now? Just curious...
5W30 Pennzoil

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Needs new rings. Cheapest course of action = keep adding oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you are living in an extremely cold climate you could try a heavier weight oil. Perhaps a high mileage conventional oil in 10W30 or 15W40 would help. If the motor is otherwise running properly this is still the cheapest option.

I have read elsewhere that Honda does not consider 1 quart per 1000 miles to be "excessive", even for motors with far lower mileage than yours.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So what do you have? Blue smoke or a fat oil spot on the driveway/garage floor?
^^^ this. Adding 3 quarts every 3 miles is A LOT of oil. It should look like a James Bond car going down the road......

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
You can rebuild the motor like the one poster from Mexico on here did - he rebuilt the motor with the motor in the car :)
I really want to know how. Can you extract the pistons from underneath the engine?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
It should look like a James Bond car going down the road......
:lmao:

Financedude: To clarify, the "high mileage oil" has chemicals in there to swell up some rubber seals and such. That would be great if you are leaking oil from a seal.

But it seems clear that you are burning it, not dripping it (or as mentioned, flooding the roadway behind you to cause the evil members of SPECTRE to drive off the road).

As mentioned, try a "heavier" oil or replace the piston rings. Are you passing emissions testing?

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Son has an oil burning i4 also, except it's a 2007. Having posted here about it, trying various suggestions(including changing pcv) and accomplishing nothing with Honda, have just been dealing with it.

Car burnt oil from the day we bought it used with barely 100,000 miles. I can only assume this was an issue previous owner was well aware of. Car now has 109,000 miles and goes through roughly a quart per thousand also.

Interestingly enough, Honda recently settled a class action suit regarding '08 through '12 6 cylinder Accords regarding oil burning issues and rumors are swirling that 4 cylinders may soon follow. I can only hope our '07 would be included.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts