Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas.
I recently bought a '04 Accord EX sedan 2.4 MT. When I bought it, it had some shimmy under throttle, and it got pretty bad about 60mph. I knew it was the axles from another Accord that I had with the same issue (as well as a friend who's a Honda mechanic.) No biggie; the car was a good price and 1 owner with no accidents.
My friend recommended that I use Honda replacement axles instead of aftermarket ones, as he's seen the aftermarket ones (which are supposedly built to OEM specs) still have a vibration. The Honda axles are about $480 each and the aftermarket ones are about $70 each on eBay, so I figured hell, they're brand new, to OEM spec, worked fine on my '01, so I got the aftermarket ones.
I had my friend install them at his shop (along with brand new tires), and the shimmy is gone at 60mph, but now there's a shimmy at 25mph. Which is 2nd gear that I use a lot, city driving. It's not as bad as it was, but after installing brand new axles, I has hoping it would be smooth!
So here's my question: if the brand new aftermarket axles are "Made to OE quality standards and performance" what in the world is the difference, and why do they vibrate right of the box? Has anyone else seen this? If so, which aftermarket axles DO perform like they're supposed to? I'm contemplating getting new ones, but not to the tune of $1000.
Sorry for the essay. Anyone got any experience specifically with this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Had the same issue with my previous car. Replaced the drivers side axle from O'reilly and vibration went away

Is it still vibration only under load? Have the engine mounts been checked?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I forgot to mention that the mounts were checked, and I went ahead and replaced the front-right one at that time as well. The other mounts are solid. My friend has been a Honda mechanic for like 5 years, and we went through all of that.
The vibration is only under load.

·
Honda Lover
33 Posts
I have the same issue with my 05 exl I4, 93000 miles. Although the shimmy issue or vibration started much earlier. I just haven't got it stopped yet. I have 2 rebuilt axles from NAPA on it now. I'm going to be changing them to something new. I just don't know what yet. I do them myself so I only have the cost of the axles.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Please take pics and make a write-up when you swap them out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts