Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up brothers
I just drove by a car wash that lift their cars up and have a guy with a spray gun cleaning everything from underneath ? At first I was like wow I havent seen anything like that but then I realized that it could be bad since most of the electric components are by the front of the car
what do you guys think is it safe ?
The guy was spraying every single spot from underneath the car with spray gun

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Do you ever drive in the rain?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Personally wouldn't do it, for no other reason than I wouldn't want a bunch of water thrown on my rotors.

The electronics are water-safe. I've sprayed under my hood (low pressure) many times. Just avoid the alternator and battery.

Some dudes go for the underbody washes if they were out mudding or offroading. For an Accord? Really, unnecessary.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks brodas for the input

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
Renzo,
I can see it after a snow to wash away the salt. Where in Queens was this?

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Around 70 st and northern blvd I believe keith

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally wouldn't do it, for no other reason than I wouldn't want a bunch of water thrown on my rotors.
Don't your rotors get wet in the rain and when you wash the car? :dunno:

In the spring, when the temps warm up, I spray the hose under the car to get the salt that has been sprayed up under the car all winter long to prevent future rust problems. I wish I had a lift to use for it.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
Do you ever drive in the rain?
Here in Illinois rain drops from the sky not up from the ground at 125-300 psi!
Sealed connectors are only supposed to withstand water ingress through incidental spray or even a 1 atmosphere pressure. IPx7 test spec for sealed connectors only subjects the seal to submersion of 1 meter for 30 minutes. They are NOT designed for direct concentrated pressure. A garden hose wash after winter does no harm.
Miker

·
Registered
330 Posts
That spot on northern is awesome. My dad had a toyota sienna with a leaky valve cover gasket and over the years, the oil leaked had dried up in the engine bay.

They charge $30 to steam clean the engine, but when they were done, the engine bay looked like it had just rolled out of the assembly line.

·
Registered
100 Posts

The electronics are water-safe. I've sprayed under my hood (low pressure) many times. Just avoid the alternator and battery.

Some dudes go for the underbody washes if they were out mudding or offroading. For an Accord? Really, unnecessary.
You don't want water on your rotors? What happens when you wash your car or it rains.
I can also confirm the accord is great for off roading and mudding. Just have to tie the skid plate back in place and its all good to go!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here in Illinois rain drops from the sky not up from the ground at 125-300 psi!
Sealed connectors are only supposed to withstand water ingress through incidental spray or even a 1 atmosphere pressure. IPx7 test spec for sealed connectors only subjects the seal to submersion of 1 meter for 30 minutes. They are NOT designed for direct concentrated pressure. A garden hose wash after winter does no harm.
Miker
i am making the assumption that if a shop offers the service and takes the time to lift a car to clean the underside they would use caution with the water. i would expect that they use a reasonable distance/pressure and so in that case i'd not worry about the process wetting components that don't normally see water. that said, it's not a service i think is necessary for our cars since the underside is already heavily protected/plastic and most touchless washes effectively will do the same cleanup.
i'd rather get them wet than have a ton of brake dust accumulate

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Don't your rotors get wet in the rain and when you wash the car? :dunno:

In the spring, when the temps warm up, I spray the hose under the car to get the salt that has been sprayed up under the car all winter long to prevent future rust problems. I wish I had a lift to use for it.
When I wash my car I avoid spraying water on the wheels. When I'm too lazy to handwash and take my car to a spray-and-wash place, I wait about 15 minutes before starting to make sure my brakes have had a chance to cool down since I wouldn't want to spray water on brakes that were just being used.

When it rains, I don't think water gets on the rotors. The splash guard / dust cover probably does a good job of ensuring that, but it's not meant to withstand directed power washing.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im still unsure lol

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
i am making the assumption that if a shop offers the service and takes the time to lift a car to clean the underside they would use caution with the water. i would expect that they use a reasonable distance/pressure and so in that case i'd not worry about the process wetting components that don't normally see water. that said, it's not a service i think is necessary for our cars since the underside is already heavily protected/plastic and most touchless washes effectively will do the same cleanup.

i'd rather get them wet than have a ton of brake dust accumulate
Granted. They SHOULD use caution but we all have had the tire jockey rushing to get the lugnuts on using the pneumatic wrench and ruined our rotors or alloys. Not to mention the guy who doesn't remove the wheel weights before popping a tire off the rims and dragging the clinched weight around the whole wheel rim. On all four rims.:thumbsdow
Still in all I wouldn't do it myself or have someone else do it. Maybe the pressure IS low but time IS money as the saying goes.

I'll stick with the tried and true garden hose sweep watering system under the car after winter driving season is over or we get a warm spell in between.

Miker

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
As long as there is not sustained and high pressure on very specific points then spraying the engine compartment from the bottom is no problem. The organization I work with washes vehicles far more expensive then anything we drive here and they do stray water from ground level up into the engine compartment and across the bottom of the vehicle (as someone previously noted).

Scott C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts