Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying and installing the K&N air intake system in my coupe. To all the intake owners out there, is it worth the $275?...what do you gain/lose?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am looking at buying and installing the K&N air intake system in my coupe. To all the intake owners out there, is it worth the $275?...what do you gain/lose?
I personally don't think intakes increase hp gains. I think it is just psychological. The car will sound a lot more aggressive with any intake you go with. I don't think there are any drawbacks to having an intake. The intake will bring colder air into your engine at a faster rate which will increase your air to fuel ratio, which is a good thing. I mean some people say they get better MPG with an intake, some say the car feels more responsive, but I don't have it so I have no idea haha. Others will likely chime in soon. I would say do some search on here first before asking this type of general question... I am sure there are multiple threads about multiple types of intakes.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Like Daniel I have one and I wouldn't pay $275 for it. It's purely sound. I only got mine because Amazon had it for less than $150.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Because there are "no gains" with the intake, how about a K&N drop in filter?

Look at it this way, more flow (whatever that means). And you don't have to buy air filters anymore. It should pay for itself in 2 years.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Because there are "no gains" with the intake, how about a K&N drop in filter?

Look at it this way, more flow (whatever that means). And you don't have to buy air filters anymore. It should pay for itself in 2 years.
While it's possible that a K&N drop in provides for greater flow than a paper filter the question of whether the paper filter is a restriction must be asked. In most cases there is no notable restriction with the paper filter and the engine would in fact make the same power with either a paper filter or no filter at all.

Then there's the filtering capability of the K&N. In my experience, and has been documented on the internet, a K&N just doesn't filter as well as a paper filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't even recommend the drop-in filter. My MPG went DOWN when I put mine in (look at my post history and you'll see the discussion about it). The only benefit is that you save the $12 every time you would have had to replace it...

·
Registered
144 Posts
While it's possible that a K&N drop in provides for greater flow than a paper filter the question of whether the paper filter is a restriction must be asked. In most cases there is no notable restriction with the paper filter and the engine would in fact make the same power with either a paper filter or no filter at all.

Then there's the filtering capability of the K&N. In my experience, and has been documented on the internet, a K&N just doesn't filter as well as a paper filter.
Exactly. I've seen UOA after UOA with elevated silicon when the car has a K&N installed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will shorten your engine life, just saying.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Exactly. I've seen UOA after UOA with elevated silicon when the car has a K&N installed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will shorten your engine life, just saying.
And then, should you accidentally over-oil the K&N you stand a good chance of coating your MAF with oil. The one possible (but unlikely) benefit of a K&N, increased air flow, just isn't worth taking the risk of coated MAF and less filtration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
And then, should you accidentally over-oil the K&N you stand a good chance of coating your MAF with oil. The one possible (but unlikely) benefit of a K&N, increased air flow, just isn't worth taking the risk of coated MAF and less filtration.

That seems to be the issue I've heard about is possible damage to the MAF because of the oiled filter. However, I have an oiled drop in K&N Filter in my08 Odyssey and have not had any issues in the 3 years it's been in the van. If you're concerned about the oil, you may want to go with a dry filter if you decide on the CAI.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
I put one on mine and IMO it def made a diff. I have the K&N CAI and a Borla CBE. I ran it on the dyno and put down 221 whp. Now I never dyno'd it when it was bone stock, but from what I've seen by searching around, the 6-6s put down around 200 whp stock(+/-). 21 whp from Intake and Exhaust, I'll take it. Then again, I also got it at a discounted price from my job, paid a lil over $200.

·
Brake/Suspension Geek
115 Posts
The 'Ebay special' CAI's will perform the same (+/- a few %) as any of the high $$$ ones. Your car doesn't care if its 2.5" aluminized pipe from China, or 'legit' 2.5" JDM aluminized pipe.

I'd buy a $45 CAI and add a $35 K&N Conical filter. Same effect, lot less cash.

And the advice above is GREAT. DON'T over oil them!

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
That seems to be the issue I've heard about is possible damage to the MAF because of the oiled filter. However, I have an oiled drop in K&N Filter in my08 Odyssey and have not had any issues in the 3 years it's been in the van. If you're concerned about the oil, you may want to go with a dry filter if you decide on the CAI.
I run K&N drop-ins on both my Accord and Odyssey. I know a guy with a 94 Integra with 297K miles on the clock and still runs like a champ with K&N Cone filter. And even guys in (dry dusty) Arizona that use K&N for decades, and never had an airfilter related problem.

It is pointless to debate if it's better or what the "test" show. Just like the MM oil change debate. Your car, your money.

As for concern about the oil, here is a simple solution. Use less oil. Or don't over oil it. It does not need to look like it's dripping blood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts