Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I just found this forum a few days ago and I've been reading a lot of good info here.

I don't know if this subject has been covered before.

Has anyone tried K&N air filters on your car. I'm thinking about getting one and replace my airfilter with it. i have 08 coupe i4.
K&N filter claimes that it can add some horsepower, improve gas mileage, never needs replacing, etc.

Just want to know your input.

Thanks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Just put one in 2 days ago. I see improved gas milege and pick up.

I'm new here. I just found this forum a few days ago and I've been reading a lot of good info here.

I don't know if this subject has been covered before.

Has anyone tried K&N air filters on your car. I'm thinking about getting one and replace my airfilter with it. i have 08 coupe i4.
K&N filter claimes that it can add some horsepower, improve gas mileage, never needs replacing, etc.

Just want to know your input.

Thanks.

· Registered
500 Posts
It's been my experience over the years that if there were measurable improvements don't you think the manufacture would have been able to design a similar air filter and include it with the car in the first place.

Save your money and keep it OEM.

· "HondaFied"
221 Posts
arent K&N pretty bad if you dont take really good care of them?
Yes they can be if you don't take care of them. K&N loves to advertise that it can be only Filter you'll ever use; which is true but they don't advertise that you have to keep the filters oiled up.

But I can account for better pickup and gas mileage. When I had in my tC I noticed at least 3 to 4 more miles per gallon.

· Rule Enforcer
8,212 Posts
A drop in K&N filter will not give you results you can see. Don't waste your money.

In many cases (especially dusty areas) the K&N filter can do damage. Many people over-oil the filters and this oil is sucked into the intake and deposited on the throttle body plate. Not good.

Stay away and save your money.

· Banned
1,399 Posts
is your car still in break-in? my mpg goes up every fill up as the car breaks in. also, navi isnt terribly accurate to gauge mpg. also, you can't say for sure if your driving habits are 100% consistent, nor whether the weather (wind, temp, etc...) has an effect on this. a k&n has never made anyone truly get that type of increased mileage.

I look at the average miles per gallon prodiced by navi. Average per trip went up about 2 - 3 miles. I have not changed my commute or driving style.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
A K&N, or any other RACING filter doesn't do squat for a stock engine folks. Well, squat about power, because it sure lets in a lot more dirt. No free lunch here: bigger holes means more air (your engine DOES NOT need) AND more dirt. And the oil can coat the MAF and make your engine run much richer; talk about shooting yourself on the foot.

All in all, leave the racing filters for racing folks, and stick to your stock one for protection. Change it every 10K miles, and you'd NEVER lose one iota of power. But it's your money. K&N is a prime example of the power of advertising. And if you're still not a believer, do a test yourself using a shopvac, blowing dirt thru both filters on a wet, white shop towel; you'll see what's obvious to most (bigger holes let more dirt in). Later.
JC

· Registered
650 Posts
A K&N, or any other RACING filter doesn't do squat for a stock engine folks. Well, squat about power, because it sure lets in a lot more dirt. No free lunch here: bigger holes means more air (your engine DOES NOT need) AND more dirt. And the oil can coat the MAF and make your engine run much richer; talk about shooting yourself on the foot.

All in all, leave the racing filters for racing folks, and stick to your stock one for protection. Change it every 10K miles, and you'd NEVER lose one iota of power. But it's your money. K&N is a prime example of the power of advertising. And if you're still not a believer, do a test yourself using a shopvac, blowing dirt thru both filters on a wet, white shop towel; you'll see what's obvious to most (bigger holes let more dirt in). Later.
JC
Bingo!

· Registered
27 Posts
I gave all posters benefit of the doubt and said lets say its all negative and i should ask the dealer. So I called 2 of them. They both said that there is no issue with K&N filter at all what so ever. The warranty is not voided and performance of the airfilter itself is the same as stock or better.

I have had 3 other hondas prior to this one, and they all had K&N air filters. No issues at all what so ever.

Can you guys call around an ask dealers in your area? What is their take?

· Registered
34 Posts
I have had k and n filters on all three of my motorcycles. A Honda GB500 single, a yamaha fj1200, and my Valkyrie. They have made slight increases in performance and gas mileage on all of them.
My brother and father have likewise had them on all of their bikes in the last 10 years and mileage and performance were increased over stock. No issues at all.
In fact, the K and N for the Valkyrie flows so well, that you have to use a foam pre-filter, or you need to re-jet. That is a fact. Some of the riders in our motorcycle group have 150,000-200,000 miles on their k and n filters with no problems at all related to bad filtering.
On my 1999 Accord V6 with K and N typhoon cai, maybe 1 mpg better. But, 2 tenths of a second off the 0-60 confirmed with 3 runs on a g-tech performance computer. The 3 runs were done before, then after the typhoon installation on the same day, within one hour of each other.
So, as far as K and N filters, I have no issues with them at all.

Reactions: nes

· Old Bird...sometimes wise
14,035 Posts
I gave all posters benefit of the doubt and said lets say its all negative and i should ask the dealer. So I called 2 of them. They both said that there is no issue with K&N filter at all what so ever. The warranty is not voided and performance of the airfilter itself is the same as stock or better.

I have had 3 other hondas prior to this one, and they all had K&N air filters. No issues at all what so ever.

Can you guys call around an ask dealers in your area? What is their take?
If you are determined to get more opinions from dealers around the country why don't you call them? Since they have served you in the past you sound determined to use a K&N in your current ride so just do it.....but consider this:

I first used K&N filters back when they had to be ordered from England. I swore for decades that I gained more power, mileage, all that stuff.
Thirty minutes of googling will provide tons of facts to the contrary and they do admit more dirt than a paper filter......a great deal more.
Once I started researching the facts I found that I had done a fine job of convincing myself that they were marvelous but hard facts proved otherwise.

Do some heavy duty research and you may not be quite as enamored with them as in the past. By the way I run an AEM Dryflow now.

· Banned
1,399 Posts
all i'm saying is it's a waste of money. the filters are fine, but all in all, the gain from them compared to stock filter is very minimal. your best bet is to save your pennies for a real air intake, due to come out withing a few months.

· Registered
329 Posts
How many people have a K&N air filter installed in their car. If so, has there been any problems and is there any gains in MPG or sound? Thanks.

Reactions: nes
1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.