Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the K&N Typhoon Intake and figured it would be worth a share. As far as first impressions, I love the sound at higher RPMs. It is supposed to add about 7 hp, but I honestly can't say I can tell a difference. I am glad I did it, especially when I am getting on to the highway or even more city driving. Maybe a little more peppy, but nothing significant. Generally, I am glad I got one and it wasn't that hard to do. It took be about 2 hours and it is because I took my time. (Probably one of the few performance upgrades I will do) Can't forget to mention it looks way better under the hood!

Here are some pics:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
I love plastidip
233 Posts
I did mine like a month ago, pretty much the same results. Throttle response feels better, and the sound above 3k is great. I also did the tsx intake manifold shortly afterwards, again noticed change in throttle response, but doesn't seem all that different. Could've just been from cleaning the throttle body.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Same here did this back in august I think, cleaned the throttle body, manifold, and mafi sensor result are about the same as you guys, I recently got the tsx intake manifold but I've yet to put it on. Can't wait though, and nice job with the installation!

·
I love plastidip
233 Posts
not any easier to see on mine but I circled it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
i have to respect you guys for being Very honest in saying you dont really noticed any great performance. like some said, it could be from cleaning the throttle body. (just did that to my V6 today and it felt alot better) i have read alot of independent tests on this type air filter kits and the "real world" numbers from people who even dyno'd their own cars before and after were like 1-2 hp difference. i know there are alot of environmental factors that could have been involved. but thats whats meant by "real world numbers". its not in a climate control lab. now for ME personally... on all my cars and especially my bikes. i have had INCREASED dirty get past the filter.. even on my 2011 Victory Vision with a OEM performance air filter... when i remove the air filter and clean it with the approved kit.. you can get your finger and pull dust/dirt off the intake track.... that Shows me the air filter isnt doing much for being a filter... so keep a look out for things like this...

·
Registered
575 Posts
FYI there have been several tests done that show the filtering performance of K&N filters to be very poor compared to the stock filter. Something to keep in mind if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

·
I love plastidip
233 Posts
Do people think that less restriction means less dirt getting in?

I guess a lot of people just think K&N are top of the line, perfect filters. Can you really blame them? Everything advertises K&N. I did it as a "my first mod" I have pretty much zero experience with cars, and my friend gave me free range of his garage. It was a fun little project, that made my car feel faster to me. Honestly, the noise was worth it for me. The noise alone makes driving the car more enjoyable.

Do I plan on keeping the car for long? That's hard to say. I am itching to get a manual, but I am still debating graduate school as well. I definitely take more care of this car than my last one. Either way, I have a feeling it will at least last past 200k miles.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
You did keep the stock intake, to reinstall before selling, right? Some people will see that intake, and it will be a deal breaker.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
I took the intake resonator off my car and got some pretty cool sound. Best part was that it was free and I still can use the good paper filters.

·
I love plastidip
233 Posts
You did keep the stock intake, to reinstall before selling, right? Some people will see that intake, and it will be a deal breaker.
Of course, I know I'd feel the same way. Especially because I am a young 20 something, there's no way they will believe me that I wasn't hard on it with that red air filter lol. I've been good about keeping records of things bought and services done.

Problem is, that I am like the 4th or 5th owner (I think) it's in okay condition but I don't think the person before me took great care of it, looks like aftermarket speakers were put in, wires all over the trunk. The O2 sensor was like burnt to a crisp. Some minor hail damage, a few scratches nothing too horrible though. Not bad for a 04 and a big step up from my 96 saab 900, the only edge that car had over the accord was "fun to drive"-ness which is kind of a bummer. However, I do not miss having to fill up on coolant every few weeks, and the ridiculous cost of repair.

·
Registered
657 Posts
When the filter is in the engine bay, isn't your filter sucking in very hot air from the engine bay? Shouldn't that in turn rob you off a couple of horses or unnecessarily let in very hot air through that intake? I've never understood this concept of hot air intake. Can somebody explain to me how this works? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is in the same realm of the nitrogen filled tires, blinker fluid, and muffler bearings.
Didn't understand this either. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is in the same realm of the nitrogen filled tires, blinker fluid, and muffler bearings.
Hahahaha.....I just googled the words you mentioned and it was hilarious. It took me to some videos on muffler bearings and some jokes about blinker fluid. I see your point now. You mean to say these intakes don't really help or in fact they make things worse, just the way I was assuming? The reason I want to know more is, I always wanted to do these intakes but thought how does it help putting in extremely hot air into your intake and into your cylinders; and I always stopped from going for that modification.

Coming to K&N - I was using a drop-in K&N filter and my experience is that the throttle body gets dirty fairly easily with my drop-in K&N filter. I thought there was some pull in the pants feeling when I started using it. But, once I cleaned the throttle body completely with hand, tooth brush, towels and throttle body cleaner, the car idles great and throttle response is really really good on OEM filter - a very clearly noticeable improvement in throttle response. K&N sure might be a shade better than my OEM filter. But, I don't want so much dirt in my throttle body so quickly.

·
Registered
657 Posts
FYI there have been several tests done that show the filtering performance of K&N filters to be very poor compared to the stock filter. Something to keep in mind if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

Thanks for this graph. I didn't know that such studies existed. But, I always felt that my throttle body gets dirty very quickly with K&N and your graphs support what I felt. I cleaned the TB several times by spraying TB cleaner. But this time after cleaning the TB off the car, I removed my K&N filter and replaced it with regular filter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I plan on putting the OEM intake back in when I sell the car. Mostly because I could possibly use it on my new car and also, I don't want the buyer to be swayed any particular way. It seems like a lot of people seem to be more conscious of a car that has an aftermarket intake because the driver tends to be more aggressive.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I plan on putting the OEM intake back in when I sell the car. Mostly because I could possibly use it on my new car and also, I don't want the buyer to be swayed any particular way. It seems like a lot of people seem to be more conscious of a car that has an aftermarket intake because the driver tends to be more aggressive.
Bingo. If I ever sell my car everything is coming off it except maybe the underdrive pulley.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

This video actually shows a car with several different intake set ups and the stock setup performs the best. The only thing i would change to the air filter is getting a K&N filter that goes in the original setup.
Did you totally bypass post #7 or can you not decipher the graph? :dunno:
Unless you race, why would you subject your likely daily driver to more contaminants through the intake?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts