Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with life being how it is currently I can not get another car so im going to do the most with what I have. To answer a few questions I have 2003 Honda accord 2.4l k24a4 auto... I know you do not need to remind me, but with my current situation its easier to mod this than to get something else. My budget is around 1-k a little more isn't undo-able. The plan is to stick to bolt-ons, short ram intake, Tsx intake manifold, skunk exhaust headers, maybe a cam if I could find a used aftermarket one, and then a tune to 93 octane, im not expecting 400 horse or anything outrageous or even 300 but a increase from the current is worth a grand too me. I have read about a k20 head swap but this seems to be more than just a grand with the mounts, cams, rods etc and everything else I would have to get. Maybe a small spray setup with just a few bolt ons, idk I am open to ideas, but a new car is out of the question so lets try and keep the conversation to modifications to just this engine/car.:thmsup:

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
IMO you will get more noise, and not much else. But if that's what you were going for more power to you. How many miles on it? Could it use new tires, or some maintenance? Anything need fixing, or replacement? I know, I'm an old fuddy duddy, but I can't help it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
with a bone stock k24, you are probably putting down about 130 to the wheels on a really good day..even if you were to go the bolt on route, full tune and tip top engine conditions...you will still never be able to put down 200 to the wheels without some serious engine internal modification...save your money..

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
OP, Like yourself I was originally looking to add just a bit more punch to the car without really having to put in much money. After doing a lot of research over a few months I decided to just keep my accord stock. The sad reality of a lot of the mods out there is that they might help out a very small amount, but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there to justify it. On a different forum I was on they had a saying, "Imagine a triangle, on the corners you have COST, POWER, and RELIABILITY you get to pick any two you want."

I think that if there was cheap/easy ways to get power the auto manufactures would be putting those mods in their cars themselves to gain a competitive edge on the other companies. The exceptions to this would be things that may potentially sacrifice versatility of the needs of everyday driving such as lowering, and things that would cut down on reliability.

Anyway that's my thoughts on the matter, I wanted to chime in since I was in your shoes about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
The automatic transmission isn't geared for any type of performance. I'd buy a CAI and enjoy the mpg increase, cool sound, and slightly better acceleration.

I wouldn't waste any money, until you can get a car that's better suited for performance mods. If you have 1k to spend, I'd get nice wheels and a good suspension. You will def see an improvement there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
4 cylinder accord is down on horse-power. Even if you manage to get 3 to 5 or 10 horses with those thousand dollars, you won't be able to feel the difference while driving it. Thousand dollars is a lot of money. You can spend that on something to increase the safety, reliability, appeal and comfort of your car. I would be very happy when members use their hard earned money in a pragmatic manner than throwing those dollars on aftermarket add-ons that have zero to negligible utility. :yes:

Just my 2 cents since you seem to be open to advises. Good luck anyways. :)

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
My budget is around 1-k a little more isn't undo-able. :
I was in a very similar boat/frame of mind when I got my Accord last July. When I started searching the interwebs, I found DA, and starting doing as much of the regular maintenance stuff as I felt comfortable with. I quickly realized this car is never going to be the bullet my last Accord was, so I invested in a few things that'll help me enjoy my daily driver, and am going to leave it at that.

Some of the more notable items I've accumulated since then ;

'08 TSX IM @ $50 (forum classifieds)
'08 TSX TB @ $70 (local salvage yard)
HPS SRI @ $100 (forum classifieds)
front lip, sides, and decklid spoiler @ $140 (forum classifeds)
Inspire style fog lights @ $70 (Ebay)
ELM 327 OBD II bluetooth scanner @ $20 (Ebay)

When it's time to get a new set of tires for the car, then I'll invest in 17" wheels and TEIN springs. The best advice above - is to maintain the vehicle, and enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
657 Posts
+1 on that bobbo.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
How about an LS460 retrofit. At least then the performance gains will be plainly visible.

LOL!

·
Registered
575 Posts
So with life being how it is currently I can not get another car so im going to do the most with what I have. To answer a few questions I have 2003 Honda accord 2.4l k24a4 auto... I know you do not need to remind me, but with my current situation its easier to mod this than to get something else. My budget is around 1-k a little more isn't undo-able. The plan is to stick to bolt-ons, short ram intake, Tsx intake manifold, skunk exhaust headers, maybe a cam if I could find a used aftermarket one, and then a tune to 93 octane, im not expecting 400 horse or anything outrageous or even 300 but a increase from the current is worth a grand too me. I have read about a k20 head swap but this seems to be more than just a grand with the mounts, cams, rods etc and everything else I would have to get. Maybe a small spray setup with just a few bolt ons, idk I am open to ideas, but a new car is out of the question so lets try and keep the conversation to modifications to just this engine/car.:thmsup:
For $1000, you're not going to get a really noticeable increase in power. For that, you'll need a turbo. The K24A4 is not really capable of making big power without a turbo...it's long 99mm stroke (relative to the 87mm bore) means it can't rev super high like some of Honda's other 4-cylinders.

For example, the TSX has a similar engine to the Accord, but with a better intake manifold, real VTEC, higher compression ratio, etc. Despite all those improvements, it still only makes 200hp at the crank, which is more like 170hp or so at the wheels. As a result, the TSX isn't really a fast car even with a manual.

I know you said a new car is out of the question, but if you sell your I4 Accord, you could probably pick up a V6 of the same year and similar condition for $1000 or so more. With the V6 Accord, you're getting 240 HP along with a lot more torque, which makes for a decently quick car. I'd think about going that route before putting more money into the I4 (at least as far as engine mods go). Putting $1000 into an Accord I4 will be unlikely to get you much more than ~180-190 hp at the crank, which isn't really all that much and wouldn't make a big difference in how fast your car feels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts