Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my MSM V6 for 17 months, I'm starting to get bored or the itch to mod. However, this is a lease vehicle with 19 months left, I'm still debating if I want to purchase the car at the end of the lease. If I'm going to buy the car at the end of the lease, I would like to fix some scratches I got from careless drivers in NY. First few mods I might add is tints and a new exhaust. If I'm going to return the car at the end, I don't plan on adding any mods. The car currently has 15764miles, only mod on it right now is xenon depot HIDs. I know the final decision is up to me, but I want to hear some opinions from you guys. Also, I want to know a good way to fix minor scratches. I tried using touch up paint and wet sanding, but the spot doesn't match the rest of the paint perfectly and show up quite hazy. Last but not least, I really enjoyed the car so far and I want to preserve it in its best form if I do buy it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What's the residual value on your lease contract? It may not make financial sense to buy at lease end. You put about 950 miles per month. How many miles can you turn the car in with? Is there anything in your favor if you turn the car in with fewer miles than agreed upon?

What if you get even more bored with it post mod by the time the 3 years are up.

If you're going to mod it, keep the original parts so you can return it back to stock.

Exhaust parts maybe difficult to switch back. 4K miles and 7 months into ownership of the G I installed an aftermarket exhaust. Had to fight the stock parts slightly to get 'em removed (esp the connections at the cats). Last time I inspected the exhaust, 3 years after installation, the main cat connections are all rusted and corroded. Cutting or torching would be needed to get it disassembled. I've kept the original parts in case, but decided to put 'em up for sale. If/when the aftermarket exhaust rots I'll install another aftermarket system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My lease covers 36k miles at the end when I turn it. If I do decide to purchase, the price is negotiable. As for the exhaust, I'm planning to get a bolt on in case I have to return it to stock.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
If you are starting to get bored already I would just finish the lease and then go find something that excites you.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If leasing works for you, just ride it out till the end and move on to something else that interests you. As I get older, the lure of switching out of a car every 1200 days for the latest and greatest is appealing regardless of cost.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My lease covers 36k miles at the end when I turn it. If I do decide to purchase, the price is negotiable. As for the exhaust, I'm planning to get a bolt on in case I have to return it to stock.
Who is your leasing company? Are u sure its negotiable?...I inquired about my residual payment at lease end..honda financial told me that it was non negotiable..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also, I want to know a good way to fix minor scratches. I tried using touch up paint and wet sanding, but the spot doesn't match the rest of the paint perfectly and show up quite hazy. Last but not least, I really enjoyed the car so far and I want to preserve it in its best form if I do buy it.
Meguiar's ScratchX is quite good for minor scratches. I've found it's better than a lot of the other crap out there.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
You can go custom and still have it be bolt on (that's what I did). On the 8G the cat outlet flange is off the shelf 3 bolt 2.5? in: 2.25" 3 Bolt Universal Exhaust Flange, 3/8", 304 Stainless - Style 2 Columbia River Mandrel Bending. Only the cat inlet flange can't be bought (but RV6 will sell you one since he has his own waterjet cut).

Buy the flange and hand it to whoever you want to make your exhaust and tell them not to touch any of the factory parts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OP,
You stated you are getting bored, then at the end you said you have really enjoyed the car up to now. Ok, you are half way through your lease, and you might as well hang in there until the end. As far as modifying a lease vehicle, you have to return it as stock as possible. You have a V6, you really don't need much more in the power department, why redo all the pipe work for a few horsepower gain, and lets not forget about the cost, which you will not recoup when you return the vehicle. (If you buy after the lease, then its a different story) If you know of a good detail place or body shop, who will do some small scratch repair, get them to fix the small scratches, get a nice detailing, and save yourself some money. :thmsup::thmsup::thmsup::thmsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts