Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Broke A$$ Superhero
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to change the battery myself or do I have to take it to the dealer? The car is new so it doesn't need to be changed yet, but for future reference I'd like to know. The one in my G37 is easy to change but I cant seem to find a spot to open this one up

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
You will see a small Phillips-Head screw on the back side of the FOB. Just unscrew it and pry the two halves of your remote apart. Inside is a CR1/3N battery that you will need to replace. They can be hard to find at local stores sometimes but the dealer always stocks them for around $5 ea.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Is there anyway to change the battery myself or do I have to take it to the dealer? The car is new so it doesn't need to be changed yet, but for future reference I'd like to know. The one in my G37 is easy to change but I cant seem to find a spot to open this one up

If it's a keyless entry fob, you just slide the little switch on the back, remove the metal key, and pry the plastic housing apart with a quarter. It's a CR2032, which is a common battery type, at least here in Canada.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
If it's a keyless entry fob, you just slide the little switch on the back, remove the metal key, and pry the plastic housing apart with a quarter. It's a CR2032, which is a common battery type, at least here in Canada.
I thought those were referred to as smart key, not fobs? WTF does "fob" stand for anyways?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,989 Posts
It's amazing what that thing in your glove box knows....

I recommend reading it when you have time. The info might come in handy one day.

I thought those were referred to as smart key, not fobs? WTF does "fob" stand for anyways?

Fob:
A fob, or more commonly called a key fob, is a small security hardware device with built-in authentication used to control and secure access to network services and data. The key fob displays a randomly generated access code, which changes periodically, usually every 30 to 60 seconds. A user first authenticates themselves on the key fob with a personal identification number (PIN), followed by the current code displayed on the device.

Key fob is also a word used to describe a key chain and several other similar items and devices. The word fob is believed to have originated from watch fobs, which existed as early as 1888. The fob refers to an ornament attached to a pocket-watch chain. Key chains, car starters, garage door openers, and keyless entry devices on hotel room doors are also called fobs.​

Key Fob: noun
A remote control for locking/unlocking a car door, carried with the car keys​

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
fob1
fäb/
noun
1. a chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket.

Jay

·
Banned
33 Posts

I went to a local sandwich joint a while back. It is called "Healthy Monkey". I asked for a clubhouse sandwich. The hippie behind the counter furrowed his brow and said, "We don't have clubhouses." Then, after a pause, he said, as if offering up a potential solution to a very thorny problem, "We have Monkey Clubs." I asked what a Monkey Club was. He said, "It's basically a clubhouse." Having navigated the shoals of his pedantry, we were back to where we were started. "OK then," I said, "may I have the sandwich that is BASICALLY a clubhouse?"

You might be right, and the correct approach to the OP's question was to say, "We don't have fobs. We have Smart Keys (or actually, as we have now learned from the above helpful extracts from the manual, Smart Entry Remotes)," and then to wait for the follow-up question before providing the answer. But it seems probable that we would have got to the same point in the end; by accepting "fob" as a general term for a class of devices that that includes Smart Entry Remotes, we have dispensed with the intervening BS.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I went to a local sandwich joint a while back. It is called "Healthy Monkey". I asked for a clubhouse sandwich. The hippie behind the counter furrowed his brow and said, "We don't have clubhouses." Then, after a pause, he said, as if offering up a potential solution to a very thorny problem, "We have Monkey Clubs." I asked what a Monkey Club was. He said, "It's basically a clubhouse." Having navigated the shoals of his pedantry, we were back to where we were started. "OK then," I said, "may I have the sandwich that is BASICALLY a clubhouse?"
:lmao::lmao::lmao: :thmsup:

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts

You might be right, and the correct approach to the OP's question was to say, "We don't have fobs. We have Smart Keys (or actually, as we have now learned from the above helpful extracts from the manual, Smart Entry Remotes)," and then to wait for the follow-up question before providing the answer. But it seems probable that we would have got to the same point in the end; by accepting "fob" as a general term for a class of devices that that includes Smart Entry Remotes, we have dispensed with the intervening BS.
Thanks smart a$$. It was on subject (somewhat) and I thought FOB was an acronym for something I wasn't aware of :thumbsdow

·
Broke A$$ Superhero
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's amazing what that thing in your glove box knows....

I recommend reading it when you have time. The info might come in handy one day.

Key Fob: noun
A remote control for locking/unlocking a car door, carried with the car keys​
You sir are a douche. Instead of being such a smart a$$, you could have simply said its explained in the manual fyi. Its not my car, I don't drive it so I haven't looked in the manual just so you know. So thank you for showing your true colors

"We don't have fobs. We have Smart Keys (or actually, as we have now learned from the above helpful extracts from the manual, Smart Entry Remotes)," and then to wait for the follow-up question before providing the answer. But it seems probable that we would have got to the same point in the end; by accepting "fob" as a general term for a class of devices that that includes Smart Entry Remotes, we have dispensed with the intervening BS.
Um...thanks? LoL Obviously I meant smart key even though I didn't say it (simply cuz that's what we have). It was late and fob was all that popped in my head...big freaking deal right?:thmsup:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You can do it with the key itself. Dont need quarter or flathead.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
You sir are a douche. Instead of being such a smart a$$, you could have simply said its explained in the manual fyi. Its not my car, I don't drive it so I haven't looked in the manual just so you know. So thank you for showing your true colors
:lurk:

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts