Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Honda Accord SE, recently I noticed the weird behavior of my key fob/car. The key fob is good no battery issue no range issues, I have tested that all. But here is the problem. The key fob will not work for one single time in the morning, and that happens everyday. Every morning when I start for work I am able to open the car doors/trunk with the key fob. But once I park the car after driving it to my work place and try to lock it through the key fob it does not respond, I have to lock the doors manually with the key.

Rest of the day it works fine, I didn't notice any abnormality. I am not able to understand why this is happening, before I go to the dealer I wanted to check if there is something I can do to avoid going to the dealer where it will be a challenge for me to demonstrate the problem.

I am wondering if this is due to cold weather (but then folks at east coast will never be able to use key fobs :) ) or if there is any other reason that is causing this.

Need help to decode this mystery.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times, but it was when it was pretty chilly outside. No where near what the east coast, but nonetheless it was chilly. So I'm assuming it's probably because of the cold? Or the ignition slot makes the key fob cold enough to do something to it. No idea.

I never got to the bottom of it but at least you're not the only one! Btw I have an 08 LXP. Original key fobs, there was a tsb for mine but it never acted up before my warranty ended.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
This has been happening to me the last few days. I can unlock the car just fine when leaving home, but when I get to work, the remote transmitter will be completely dead when I try to lock the car. Then, when I leave work, it's working again. No problems locking it when I get home, either. My guess is that the battery is dying. I've been using one key exclusively since I got the car almost 3 years ago and I've yet to have to replace the battery. I might take my spare key tomorrow morning and see if it does the same thing. If not, I'm just going to assume the battery is on its dying breath in my primary key.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
This can happen from RF interference from alarms, etc. from businesses garages and is not uncommon

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hmmm, well it's never been an issue before and I always park in the same spot at work. I forgot to mention that the little red light on the remote does not light up when this happens, so I'm pretty sure it's the battery at this point. I'm guessing being in a cold environment for several minutes (my car interior before the heat gets up to temp) is putting extra strain on the dying battery and that once the battery gets back to room temp it works again.

·
Low Gear
2,324 Posts
I had FOB issues with one of my keys. In the early years, I just replaced the battery. And that was not it. Then I started to "move it around" like I am replacing the battery. And figure it, for some reason is not making contact. There are even times I tap the FOB and it works.

I just live with it.

Lately, I came up with a new theory. Why only one? Mine? Is it because I'm a guy, and my key lives in my pocket? Why not my wife's key? Is it because the key is in her purse?

Could it be that the buttons are being "accidently" pressed while in my pocket? For hours at a time? Consistently, many times over the day?

Don't know. I just live with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a similar issue with the buttons not working intermittently.

Get some CRC Electronics Cleaner, open the key and spray the electronics liberally, then let it dry.

Worked for me. :thmsup:

GoLowDrew: If that doesn't work, just swap your key with your wife's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this morning I noticed something that I did not notice other mornings, when I parked my car at my work place then the key fob red light was not working when I pressed the buttons, although the key fob was working when I came to my apartment's parking area. I guess that is because of the cold, but I can be sure once I see this thing not happening in summers. But as of now the fob is working perfectly, I have tried to unlock/lock the car through the key fob from my manager's cabin window and it works, it is around 35-40 feet away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue, but with both keys. One has never been used, so I doubt it is the key or that the battery is dead. It is my suspicion that it has something to do with the components of the lock/alarm system inside the car and not the Fob at all

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
I saw that u said there aren't any battery issues. But just try a new battery. That resolved this issue for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts