Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Elvira
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting in this forum since this covers this gen with the Keyless entry/start.

If anyone is interested in a Faraday cage sleeve worthy of interest, I recently purchased one from a company called...

Fob Guard: Ideal Car Keyless Entry Fob "Faraday Cage"

It works great and is somewhat unobtrusive.

So, if you normally carry more than one fob and don't want that whole trouble, you can slip the unused fob (with battery) into the sleeve and the car WILL NOT recognize the second fob. Think vacation travel when you carry the emergency key/fob.

Also, if you live in an area that may be prone to hijacking the fob signal, this would help immensely.

I can place the sleeved fob directly on the handle and the door won't unlock. Placed on the window above the dash, it won't unlock. The dash will also tell you NOKEY if you sit in the car with the sleeved fob directly on the start button.

This would also help if your garage is below a bedroom where you might place your key for the night. It may be close enough for the car to be opened then started. That scenario I'm not sure.

Anyway it works great and I'm going to extol it's credits when warranted.

Bought mine on Amazon but you can purchase directly from them on their site.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am not an employee or owner or stockholder of this company and do not get any remuneration whatsoever.

It's made in the USA too!

Attachments

· Registered
388 Posts
Price is awful high ($29.95). Many items like this available on eBay and other places for much less, and they work the same. This one is made for cellphone, but fob would fit easily.
I had a similar reaction. My only concern is that I looked at that one (and several others) on eBay, and none of them had any reviews. Might be nice to have at least one person tell me the cheaper ones work as advertised...

· Registered
455 Posts
I had a similar reaction. My only concern is that I looked at that one (and several others) on eBay, and none of them had any reviews. Might be nice to have at least one person tell me the cheaper ones work as advertised...
It's on Amazon w/reviews also
Amazon.com: Pu Leather Cell Phone Anti-tracking Anti-spying GPS Rfid Signal Blocker Pouch Case Bag Handset Function Bag (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Just read QUESTIONS on Amazon and this is one of them w/answer:

Question: Has anyone tried to put their car key fob in this? Will it fit?
Answer: It won't fit along with your phone but it will definitely fit your keys and fob on their own.
By IslandGirl on May 21, 2015

Since it was asked I put my car FOB inside a pouch and pushed the button with surprisingly no result...so it seems to stop the signal. I have to say I was surprised because I knew it stopped cellphone signals but I didn't realize it would stop RF signals too.
By Solrus on May 21, 2015

I have a Prius. I keep my key fob in the wallet with two keys attached.

· Registered
388 Posts
This would also help if your garage is below a bedroom where you might place your key for the night. It may be close enough for the car to be opened then started. That scenario I'm not sure.
Nope, not a problem. Mine (with a relatively fresh battery) maxes out at about 4ft line-of-sight. It doesn't even work if the fob is laying on top of the sunroof.

· Registered
388 Posts
It's on Amazon w/reviews also

Just read QUESTIONS on Amazon and this is one of them w/answer:
Good to know, thanks...and that one is $2 cheaper than the eBay vendor. :thmsup:

· Elvira
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sentiments exactly. No reviews from anyone on the cheapo brands. I actually did try a nickel plated bag that you will get motherboards or PC cards in when you buy them and it did work.

I ain't gonna walk around with a nickel plated bag in my pocket though.

· Registered
455 Posts
My sentiments exactly. No reviews from anyone on the cheapo brands. I actually did try a nickel plated bag that you will get motherboards or PC cards in when you buy them and it did work.

I ain't gonna walk around with a nickel plated bag in my pocket though.
You must have missed the reply right after your quoted one. Amazon link has reviews and answers the question about using FOB..and they have mesh inside, (not sure about your nickel plated bag comment????). "Cheapo" doesn't mean they are bad, just like higher price doesn't mean they are better. Been using RFID wallet and passport case for 8 years. Recommended them to friends and work associates, who all bought them too since we do a lot of overseas travel....they work! We actually tested them in our Engineering lab to see how good/if they worked.

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Liked this until I saw the price. Actually, I still like it but I won't spend that much for it for my needs. I road trip carry my spare fob and keys in my briefcase in my trunk wrapped in aluminum foil. This is a more elegant solution fer sure, but.....

· Registered
388 Posts
I actually did try a nickel plated bag that you will get motherboards or PC cards in when you buy them and it did work.
I speculated on that the last time this subject came up. They apparently come in different grades and/or thicknesses; not sure what you mean by "nickel-plated", as I was under the impression that they are mylar with a vacuum-deposited layer of aluminum. In any case, the one I tried failed miserably to have any effect on the fob's interaction with the car. (IIRC, it came wrapped around the SSD I bought for my laptop.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.