Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Accord EX-L Navi 6 cyl and the plastic key fob broke at the blade. I repaired it a couple of times with a 2-part acrylic but it wouldn't hold very long.
I took the key (fob and blade) to the dealership to see about getting the plastic housing so I could swap out the chip. The dealer said I had to get a new key cut and he would swap out the chip and put it in a new plastic fob. I was charged $31.00
Why did he HAVE TO cut a NEW key and remove the old one?

I am 56 years old and I have been proud of my unblemished record of NEVER spending a cent at any dealership or at any auto repair shop in my entire life, until today! I've never owned a new car and honestly I've only owned older cars. I've had my share of tough repairs but I have always been able to repair everything myself. I feel so cheated!

· 08 EX-L sedan
13 Posts
Sorry to hear that, to my knowledge those keys/fobs are one piece. You can't swap out the metal key into another plastic housing. It's the guts are the important part of the key. Realistically you could have bought a replacement off Amazon or ebay for $10 or less. It should have been free or very cheap to cut a key at the dealership. I had a aftermarket switchblade key cut at my dealership for free.
Sorry dude, you learned what to do next time that happens. Ask around other dealerships to see what they would charge.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic part just snaps together with the metal key blade simply laid into a slot in the bottom. The metal blade has a t-shape at the top with a screw tapped hole. Once the plastic housing is snapped secure with the t-shaped blade in place the only thing holding it together is the pan head screw screwed through the plastic into the blade hole.

It makes no sense that I had to have another key blade cut.

· 08 EX-L sedan
13 Posts
Shoot, I didn't know that. Unfortunately its a lesson learned the hard way. Just be aware in the future, and get more quotes from other dealerships =/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.