Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've done my search but this question is simple and maybe it's just me but did anyone else have trouble getting the baby screw out the key fob ? I've tried 2 different glasses repair screwdrivers, a flat and a Phillips and the screw for the life of me won't budge at all.
Also the screw for my fog lights (both sides) to remove the entire housing (7.5gen) is rusted so it's not moving either. Any suggestions for either would be helpful before things get broken.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2006 I4 MT
1,688 Posts
This is a last ditch result which I done. The head was stripped.

Take a diagonal cutters and cut around the screw. Use the cutter tool to grip the screw and unscrew or to chop off the screw head so you can remove the back plate.

Replace backing and screw with OEM backing and screw only. Do not buy from ebay. Ebay has replicas that are not an exact fit to OEM front.

35116-sda-a11 screw, flat $1.45
35114-sda-a11 lower, transmitter key case $2.97

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You probably missed it in your search. I've seen it a few times. Heat the screw with the tip of a soldering iron before you try to unscrew it. As for the fogs, if you haven't already, soak the bolts with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and let it soak overnight, and soak them again when you try to undo them again. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Definitely use the hot soldering iron tip trick above.

If you don't have a soldering iron, put a nail on the stove element to heat it up, grab it by a pair pliers and press the tip of the nail in the screw head for a while to transfer the heat into the screw.

In either case, don't overheat the screw else the plastic might melt, you want the heat to just soften the LocTite the factory seem to use when assembling these remotes.

·
lookin' clean
491 Posts
maybe some pb blaster or some kind of oil, is it stripped?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'm gonna try the hot nail trick to heat it up, I just didn't think it would really be this difficult to remove and working with a tiny screwdriver doesn't make it any better. For the fogs I just got some liquid wrench and soaked them , I didn't realize it, but maybe it will help if the tip on the screwdriver wasn't broken :thumbsdow

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I used the sodering gun trick to remove the screw on my key today. It works!

Make sure you get the right size screwdriver from home depot. Should be $2. Home depot also sells the batteries!

The battery is Energizer 1616

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna try the hot nail trick to heat it up, I just didn't think it would really be this difficult to remove and working with a tiny screwdriver doesn't make it any better. For the fogs I just got some liquid wrench and soaked them , I didn't realize it, but maybe it will help if the tip on the screwdriver wasn't broken :thumbsdow
Hot nail, soldering iron should work miracles, as noted above it's the Loctite that's keeping it from budging ... I keep a can of PB blaster in the garage for anything stubborn.

Treat your tools like your best friend, and they'll be there for you when you need them !!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My keys little screw was already stripped from previous owner. I ended up just taking a small drill bit and drilling the screw top off, not all the threads but you probably could and but a bogger screw in it. I just put some small double sided tap on the inside and it holds up fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is a last ditch result which I done. The head was stripped.

Take a diagonal cutters and cut around the screw. Use the cutter tool to grip the screw and unscrew or to chop off the screw head so you can remove the back plate.

Replace backing and screw with OEM backing and screw only. Do not buy from ebay. Ebay has replicas that are not an exact fit to OEM front.

35116-sda-a11 screw, flat $1.45
35114-sda-a11 lower, transmitter key case $2.97
I used something similar to this. I used the solder iron to burn around the screw and then ordered the new key back for 3.00 and the screw for 1.00 from landmark Honda in Virginia. with the battery I had 15.00 in the whole repair. not bad. good luck to you. I am sure it will be ok.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
"A pair of pliers and a blowtorch"....60% of the time, it works every time!

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
"A pair of pliers and a blowtorch"....60% of the time, it works every time!
:thmsup:

I love ... lamp ...

Actually, when I changed my backing I just waved some poutine in it's face and it came right out ? I dunno ... true Canadian spirit I guess.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
:thmsup:

I love ... lamp ...

Actually, when I changed my backing I just waved some poutine in it's face and it came right out ? I dunno ... true Canadian spirit I guess.

oh man I want a red sticker.

how much?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,679 Posts
I saw a video where a guy pried the cover apart from the opposite side, then pivoted the case around with the screw still in it. Changed the battery without removing the screw, and the case was still in tact.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I saw a video where a guy pried the cover apart from the opposite side, then pivoted the case around with the screw still in it. Changed the battery without removing the screw, and the case was still in tact.
what a crafty bloke. I would have never thought of that.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
oh man I want a red sticker.

how much?
it's not just a sticker, that's a full JDM cover I ordered online. OEM FTW !!

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
This is how I changed the battery on both of my keys since both screw heads were completely stripped. As long as you are gentle, it won't break. Much better than using the cutter method and having to replace the back piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts