Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My keyless entry battery for one of my keys finally died. The car is an 06 so that is pretty good life I guess. My question is for the love of god how do you get that tiny little screw out to replace the battery. I even have the little jeweler screwdrivers and that damn screw will not budge. I am afraid I will strip it before it turns. Did Honda use loc-tite on this part?

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
If you have a soldering iron touch the top of the screw for a second or two then try it. If you don't have that try heating the screwdriver on the stove.

You just want to touch the screw long enough so soften the threadlocker.

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up stripping the head of the screw on BOTH of my key fobs.

The trick is to use a small screwdriver to crack the opposite end of the fob open and then you just gently pry it open wide enough to slid the "guts" of the key out. Replace the battery, then pry it open again and slid the "guts" back into the fob. I did this on both key fobs and it worked great. As long as you are gentle, you won't break it. Why Honda thought it was a good idea to put that blue loctite stuff on the screw, I'll never know.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I Why Honda thought it was a good idea to put that blue loctite stuff on the screw, I'll never know.
I'll give you one hint.... $$$ ----> Dealership.

Discouraging DIY'ers comes in many shapes and sizes. It's the reason why some cars don't come with even an engine oil drain plug and engines are encased in plastic cladding.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You all have given good advice but so far nothing worked. I heated the screw with a solder iron and still no luck. used a 0 Phillips screwdriver and no luck. I did ruin part of the case around the screw by melting it with the solder iron and that damn screw still did not want to come out. I guess the Loctite is holding in the metal key area because I am sure it is not stuck in the plastic case area as that is melted away now. the screw is partially striped but not totally gone. I did a google search on this subject and to say the least Honda dropped the ball on this design. Many people are having trouble with these Honda keys.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize now I could probably just pry the case apart but I still have to deal with the melted case. damn this should not be this difficult.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
The solder iron method worked for me and other members in the past. It also helps to have a big screw driver. I use one with swappable bits. I get more leverage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts