Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you get a key like the valet key that will open the trunk, glove box, ignition, and doors?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
You should be able to by buying a blank un-programmed valet key, and cut the key to the same as your regular key with the remote head so it will also open the trunk and glove box, you will also need to program the RFID chip inside the new valet key fob to the car.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is that its a 05 accord with the .... um its not like a regular key for a house door. its key is on the face of the blank. not the edge. hope i didn't confuse you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kind of odd request. When I purchased my 05 used, it had the full set. I want to say 2 fob keys and 1 valet. I haven't used more than 1 ever.

·
3rd Gear Roll
23 Posts
the car was supposed to come with more than one key... but if you bought it used that is probably not the case. your best bet is to get one from a dealer, but you'd be better off donating an arm and a leg

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
problem is that its a 05 accord with the .... um its not like a regular key for a house door. its key is on the face of the blank. not the edge. hope i didn't confuse you.
Yes I know that.

Both my two regular keys with remote control head and the one valet key without remote control head have the same key blade shape with the pattern cut on both faces of the key blade and not on the edge, however the pattern is different between the regular key and the valet key so that is the difference where the regular key can unlock the trunk/glove-box locks and the valet key from the factory cannot, so you can unlock the trunk/glove-box if you cut the regular key pattern to another blank key blade.

Remember the valet key still has to go into the door lock cylinder and the ignition lock, so it has to have the same key shape as the regular key.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If what you mean is that the key is indented on the top and bottom instead of being "cut" or "reshaped", It doesn't matter, all 7the gen Accords have that style of key, they have the tools to cut it. You can buy the blanks on ebay and have the dealer program them.

·
Registered
798 Posts
just having the key cut is not too expensive. had my switchblade key cut at the dealer for about $15. the programming is what they charge you at. but luckily i just moved my chip over to the new key enclosure and it works fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just having the key cut is not too expensive. had my switchblade key cut at the dealer for about $15. the programming is what they charge you at. but luckily i just moved my chip over to the new key enclosure and it works fine.
Mine was $12 at the dealership for the cut only.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the reason i want a valet type ke is if i loose my keys i dont want someone to poke the panic button to locate my car then drive off. the lock/unlock feature is nice, but ive lived 52 years without it. i think i can live a bit longer without it. whats the cost of programing the key?

ive also herd on chevys the remote lock/unlock option will disable it self if not used for too long a period of time. are hondas like that too

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Here is a comprehensive Honda bulletin on keys, programming, and the immobilizer. The least expensive Honda dealer near me charged me $60 to reprogram (not cut) 1-5 keys at the same time. The most expensive dealer wanted $100 per key. Am still laughing.
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-053e.pdf

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the reason i want a valet type ke is if i loose my keys i dont want someone to poke the panic button to locate my car then drive off. the lock/unlock feature is nice, but ive lived 52 years without it. i think i can live a bit longer without it. whats the cost of programing the key?

ive also herd on chevys the remote lock/unlock option will disable it self if not used for too long a period of time. are hondas like that too

I've personally never lost a key, I find the remote unlock to be so convenient nowadays, specially when multiple people are entering the vehicle.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
totally agree, but if you do loose your keys you may loose more. like your car. thats my fear.

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
Take the battery out of the key.

If my memory serves me correctly, the valet key is slightly thicker and won't go int he glove box or the trunk lock cylinder.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Take the battery out of the key.

If my memory serves me correctly, the valet key is slightly thicker and won't go int he glove box or the trunk lock cylinder.
If he buys a blank valet style (no fob) he can get it cut and programmed to main key specs which would open everything. The factory valet key will work as you described.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is why I have full coverage insurance. I'm not going to inconvenience myself based solely on the fear of what may or may not happen.
true, BUT then the car gets paid off (i assume), get new load (i assume), and insurance goes WAY UP (FACT)! whats mine i want to stay mine. i have $50 delectable on comp, and $100 deductible on collision.

so you don't mind having to pay way more on your insurance if your car gets stolen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the dx trim level master keys are what you want. The keys are cheaper on ebay than ebay. You need to get the key cut and programmed.

Some dealers will not cut or program an ebay key. Most hardware stores can't cut the honda key. You need dealer or locksmith.

My dealer cut my LX style key for free. He said he had a few ebay keys shatter when cutting, but was surprised how well mine held up. I think it helped that i was purchasing tranny fluid and antifreeze.

With the lx style (combined key / remote) you can remove the transponder chip and transfer it to your new ebay key.

With the dx / valet key you can't do that. There is no place to insert the chip. Hence the need forvdealer programming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts