Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be very heavily into car audio years ago, but my last few cars have been leased and I've was content with their Bose or similar systems. Well I purchased a 2.0t sport a few days ago and the system needs to be upgraded asap.

The Kicker Key 180.4 looks like a great way to beef up the sound with out dropping a lot of money right now. My plan would be to start with the amp, then upgrade the front components, somehow add a sub, then upgrade the rear fills for S&Gs.

How does everyone like the Kicker so far? Is there a noticable improvement with the stock speakers? Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
From what I have read the kicker key is a great amp but it will only except a 4 ohm input. Anything lower than four ohms will cause kicker key to cut out or shut off. For that reason alone I went with the alpine powerpack which is the same size and same wattage. There are way too many great speaker options that are not 4 ohm to limit yourself. Now if you went with a set of kicker components and kicker coaxials you wouldn’t have a problem. But the infinity speakers, JBL speakers, and many more or less than 4 ohms. Also make sure you tap the front speakers for the signal input to the amplifier to ensure you have the maximum clean signal to drive the speakers. I used the front speakers for input and drive my coaxials in back and my components upfront, sure you lose the fader option but I used to gain control on the amp to set the fade as I seen fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kicker seems to be the only amp in this form factor that includes DSP and from my initial listens it seems the accord can certainly use some time correction. I was planning on using Infinity components in the front, which may complicate things as they are 2.7ohms. How are you liking the power pack?

I may just stick with my original plan and go with a dedicated DSP and a standard 4 channel amp. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I absolutely love the power pack and was concerned with the DSP feature as well. After swapping all the speakers and installing the power pack I was amazed at the sound quality. I have the filter set at 60hz and with Spotify and the EQ in the app I was able to adjust the sound quality perfectly for my liking. I was even looking at the Dayton DSP but after turning my system I really don’t feel like I need it. Sure the timeline would be icing on the cake but I’m not sure it’s worth the headache of turning the DSP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts