Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a big guy. 6'3 and 375 pounds. I upgraded from a civic to an Accord for the additional room and performance. However, my right knee is always in an uncomfortable contact and pressure against the center console because it shoots into the driver's leg bay (or whatever it's called). I have done as much searching as I can, but I can't find any alternative replacement consoles. Can anyone offer a solution? Is anyone good at fabrication on the east coast? I'll do my best to add a picture for reference. 馃憤馃従

Registered
I want one now. LOL

Registered
Honda Accord 1.5 sport 2019
I want one now. LOL
Order it from the AliExpress application. It will arrive within a maximum of 3 weeks馃コ

Is that a cover over the cup holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now notice the cover of the cup holder, its strange shape, I did not see an Accord. This is a possibility. This is the country of China

Registered
There are people who have replaced the hard plastic trim piece (LX, Sport, and maybe EX) where your leg hits the center console with the leather ones that come on the EX-L and Touring trims.

A few people have done this- as the soft leather feels better than the hard plastic piece that is used on lower trim levels.

Info is on page 10 of the "What did you do to your Accord today" thread. Post #186. Over the next few pages in that thread are more details and questions/answers that people asked about the swap. It appears to be very easy to swap them out- and you still get the factory-look.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While that looks like a nice cushion for that area and my leg, I think this would only occupy more space giving me less to actually work with. The picture I included wasn't the best because it doesn't actually show my legs position while driving. (I was parked at the time). The area that jams my knee is actually just below the ignition button. That pillar that juts into the leg area. My thought was cutting into the area by about and inch, maybe less, and replacing said material with leather or similar material. Thus making it easier to have my knee/leg against. But thanks for the lead!

There are people who have replaced the hard plastic trim piece (LX, Sport, and maybe EX) where your leg hits the center console with the leather ones that come on the EX-L and Touring trims.

A few people have done this- as the soft leather feels better than the hard plastic piece that is used on lower trim levels.

Info is on page 10 of the "What did you do to your Accord today" thread. Post #186. Over the next few pages in that thread are more details and questions/answers that people asked about the swap. It appears to be very easy to swap them out- and you still get the factory-look.
That's a great idea! I didn't think of that. My thought process was to cut into the existing parts. And now to eBay to look for a leather center console lol. Thanks!

Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
Move the seat further back.

Registered
I have the same issue and as I am 6' 5" the seat is as far back as it will go.

This car has been a very expensive lesson in making sure to test drive a car for at least a couple hours behind the wheel before buying.

That leather wrapped replacement piece does not extend up to the start button surround which is where the problem lies.

If I had the time and budget, the only real solution is to relocate the start button to a spot beside the shifter buttons on the actual center console and completely reshape that section of plastic then cover with leather or Alcantara etc.

By the time I have done all that I would probably be better off just getting rid of the car.

Registered
That pad actually looks pretty good to me. My knee also rests against the side of the center console (I am 6'4"). What I found is that I could adjust my seat position just slightly, so that the contact point was at the slight depression in my right knee (or anyone's knee), that is (more or less) just below the kneecap, but just above the top part of the lower knee.

If you feel along the side of your knee, I think you will see what I mean....

I found that with that little depression being the contact point to the edge of the center console, it was pretty comfortable, even for long drives. I basically no longer notice anything. Whereas before I made that little adjustment, it was pretty annoying.

Registered
While that looks like a nice cushion for that area and my leg, I think this would only occupy more space giving me less to actually work with. The picture I included wasn't the best because it doesn't actually show my legs position while driving. (I was parked at the time). The area that jams my knee is actually just below the ignition button. That pillar that juts into the leg area. My thought was cutting into the area by about and inch, maybe less, and replacing said material with leather or similar material. Thus making it easier to have my knee/leg against. But thanks for the lead!

That's a great idea! I didn't think of that. My thought process was to cut into the existing parts. And now to eBay to look for a leather center console lol. Thanks!
I have this problem in my 9th gen as well. I know what you mean by the cushion making it worse and no there isn't a leather piece that covers the area in question.

I am constantly moving my seat back and fourth between my knee hurting or my arms being fully extended.

2020 CBP Touring
That pad actually looks pretty good to me. My knee also rests against the side of the center console (I am 6'4"). What I found is that I could adjust my seat position just slightly, so that the contact point was at the slight depression in my right knee (or anyone's knee), that is (more or less) just below the kneecap, but just above the top part of the lower knee.

If you feel along the side of your knee, I think you will see what I mean....

I found that with that little depression being the contact point to the edge of the center console, it was pretty comfortable, even for long drives. I basically no longer notice anything. Whereas before I made that little adjustment, it was pretty annoying.
I'm 6'4" and did the same. I don't even think about it anymore.

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Just went from a 2012 Accord coupe V6 to a 2020 2.0 Sedan and its a great car.

My only issue is my right knee keeps hitting that plastic part by the push to start and it really hurts...I never had this issue with any car before. Did I make a mistake buying this because I am 6 ft tall....any tips or experience would help. Thank you!

Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
Did you sit in the car before you bought it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Yes but didn't really notice this because it was a very short test drive

So, I'm a big guy. 6'3 and 375 pounds. I upgraded from a civic to an Accord for the additional room and performance. However, my right knee is always in an uncomfortable contact and pressure against the center console because it shoots into the driver's leg bay (or whatever it's called). I have done as much searching as I can, but I can't find any alternative replacement consoles. Can anyone offer a solution? Is anyone good at fabrication on the east coast? I'll do my best to add a picture for reference. 馃憤馃従 View attachment 524573
I hate this car. Just bought a month ago and about to sell it. What a stupid design.

Registered
Yes but didn't really notice this because it was a very short test drive

I hate this car. Just bought a month ago and about to sell it. What a stupid design.
It's a hard lessoned learned. It's always a good idea to do an extended test drive of any car that you're seriously considering. Not a quick 15-minute test drive- as those rarely show the things that will eventually drive you nuts. I'm talking about a multi-hour or even longer test drive that involves driving the car in almost any situation that you are going to experience during your ownership- at least in terms of your daily or weekend habits.

When I bought my 2007 Camry back in the day, The dealer actually let me take one home overnight because one of my many concerns were about headlight performance (as my previous 1998 Camry had really lousy headlights). My dealer let me take out my 2019 Accord all day- and told me to have it back before they closed.

As a result, there isn't really anything that has caught me off-guard since buying it back in May. That's not saying that the car is perfect- but the few little things that annoy me revealed themselves during that roughly six hour test drive that I took.

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the Accord- and I hope you are able to get a decent price for it when you trade it in for something that fits you better. The very wide center console and hard plastic trim near your knees are two things that seem to be complaints that a few people have mentioned. Hopefully Honda will address this with the 11th generation Accord (It's not really a problem that I've witnessed in any Accord other than the 10th Generation models).

Good luck!

Registered
I checked this post out a few days ago I'm not having this issue and I'm actually taller than anybody commenting.. lol. I'm 6'7 and it's ok for me lol. Maybe my knees are above where everyone else is. I did my research after totaling my Challenger and the interior numbers are pretty much the same. I love it!!!

Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
I checked this post out a few days ago I'm not having this issue and I'm actually taller than anybody commenting.. lol. I'm 6'7 and it's ok for me lol. Maybe my knees are above where everyone else is. I did my research after totaling my Challenger and the interior numbers are pretty much the same. I love it!!!
I doubt it鈥檚 so much the height, but the width.

Registered
Did YOU Actually test drove this car before purchasing it???????? Or your legs just grew due to covid-19 movement restrictions?
Come on people! Do proper research, test-drive, etc. and stop crying all the time 'this is bad, that is bad' after you acquire something...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts