Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't understand why someone sits with their legs spread out that much. I guess it's just me.
I don't understand why someone sits with their legs spread out that much. I guess it's just me.
I understand the issue. It’s not just about spreading out legs, but rather when trying to sit in a relaxed position when the seat is positioned somewhat close to the steering wheel. Fortunately, I’m not as tall, so I can easily find another sweet spot by moving the seat back and readjusting the position of the steering wheel.
I do think it’s a design flaw On the 10th gen. I don’t recall ever having any of this issue in the previous gens.
Did YOU Actually test drove this car before purchasing it???????? Or your legs just grew due to covid-19 movement restrictions?
Come on people! Do proper research, test-drive, etc. and stop crying all the time 'this is bad, that is bad' after you acquire something...
A short, typical 15 min test drive isn’t likely long enough for people to find out about this. You do make a great point though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just bought mine 2 days ago and I have a issue with it. But I knew of it going into it so no surprise. Im 5"8 and trying to get close to the wheel and dash can get tight. My knee rubs the padded trim peace. I pulled it off and no rubbing with it missing. If you want to slide back I noticed the throttle was a lot farther down and slightly to the right of the brake where I would want it. So I found this and cant wait it try it. It has 3 positions and will move the throttle closer to you and 2 different settings of it moving to the left more of the driver. Take a look it might help moving the throttle to the left some and closer.

·
2004 EX sedan 4 cyl auto
4 Posts
really wanted to buy this car but this kills it for me, hope they redesign in next generation. the problem is the joint between the two panels, my kneecap pretty much fits inside the joint and it's very irritating. i have this problem with a lot of cars so i didn't even bother to drive it.

(in the pic below my knee is pulled away to show the joint)

i think the center console is unnecessarily wide for a FWD car. what's inside there other than the cubby hole?

i'm 6'2" but shorter than average arms and legs for my height, i think my seat is probably further forward than most (this is using telescoping wheel too)

my current car is 2008 infiniti G35 sedan and that part of the console is a single smooth piece, my knee rubs against it but it's not irritating at all.

kia optima has same problem but new kia K5 is a little better in that area (not perfect though). currently have a toyota corolla rental and not a problem at all!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I wish they'd redesign this in the next refresh. I test drove a 2019 accord touring for about 2 blocks before returning. No way could I drive the car any longer with my knee wedged in there. Adjusting the seat to a lower position resolves this, but then the seating position doesn't feel right.

Sat in a 2021 model, same issue (expected as much given it's the same gen). 2015 exl fits like a well worn pair of shoes or jeans. I'm 6' tall.

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts
Another solution is just to source a ready-to-drive sixties-seventies fullsize domestic, or even midsize, without a console.

The only catch with those is what you gain in space over a modern mid-size Accord or Fusion you also trade their supportive seats for the cushy sink-in types, particularly the buckets of that era. Kind of like sitting in a well-upholstered canoe compared to modern seats in just about anything, including Hondas. Buut.. your knees won't quite reach the dash in a '64 Impala or Buick Skylark!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
I'd like to thank this thread for making me feel better about being short. At only 5'2, I have to adjust my seat so far forward that this doesn't pose an issue in any car... 🤭

But for you tall folks, hopefully Honda will remedy this issue in the 11th gen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I didn’t drive an accord forever after seeing a car reviewer complaining about it. But I am 6’2 200 pd’s and my knee isn’t any where close to it. Drive any car and be aware before buying it. I returned a 2021 sonata because I hated the seats but had friends sit in it and it didn’t bother them.
Like cloths, everybody is different

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts
I’m 5’7”, and for a guy, that sucks! Current avg weight, 194#, all belly.

Every night when I go to bed, I pray to God to take away twenty lbs and grant me just two inches more height - just so I can be average!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I didn’t drive an accord forever after seeing a car reviewer complaining about it. But I am 6’2 200 pd’s and my knee isn’t any where close to it. Drive any car and be aware before buying it. I returned a 2021 sonata because I hated the seats but had friends sit in it and it didn’t bother them.
Like cloths, everybody is different
I think it all depends how you like to sit. If I drop the seat way down then there's no knee issue. I prefer to sit more upright, higher up.

This has been mentioned a few times now, but the importance of a proper test drive can potentially save you (tens of) thousands of dollars. I request a highway test drive for any car I'm seriously considering, at least 5-10 miles worth. Followed by a similar 5-10 miles of surface streets. Some issues with the car become apparent at higher speeds (like the flutter I felt in the trans of one RDX), or the constant minute corrections needed to the sonata type n to keep it straight (with all the electronic crap turned off). With the price of cars these days, one owes it themself to get the best vehicle for their money.

Speaking of sonata N (or sonata in general probably), I found the mirrors to be quite lacking. Those in the 9th gen accord or even the 11-15 optima were 10x better. It's a family sedan, not a sports car, put some real mirrors on it.

kia k5 mirror

sonata mirror

Both look the same to me, so k5 probably also has poor mirror visibility.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think it all depends how you like to sit. If I drop the seat way down then there's no knee issue. I prefer to sit more upright, higher up.

This has been mentioned a few times now, but the importance of a proper test drive can potentially save you (tens of) thousands of dollars. I request a highway test drive for any car I'm seriously considering, at least 5-10 miles worth. Followed by a similar 5-10 miles of surface streets. Some issues with the car become apparent at higher speeds (like the flutter I felt in the trans of one RDX), or the constant minute corrections needed to the sonata type n to keep it straight (with all the electronic crap turned off). With the price of cars these days, one owes it themself to get the best vehicle for their money.

Speaking of sonata N (or sonata in general probably), I found the mirrors to be quite lacking. Those in the 9th gen accord or even the 11-15 optima were 10x better. It's a family sedan, not a sports car, put some real mirrors on it.

kia k5 mirror

sonata mirror

Both look the same to me, so k5 probably also has poor mirror visibility.
I loved the 2021 Sonata..It was a SEL with the Convenience package so was loaded with a lot of cool stuff but the seams on top dug into my shoulder bones. I tried for a couple weeks to convince my self I would get use to it but went to Honda and the sales guy was a old friend of my daughters and really fought and helped to get me a fair deal. Helped the same guy owned both the Honda and Hyundai dealerships and they sat almost next door :) I still probably lost around $3K but better then owning a $29K car I hate

·
Registered
2021 Accord lx and 2021 Accord Hybrid base
194 Posts
Op. It’s not your height its your obesity. A pad is a bandaid. Otherwise plus sized people are usually in trucks.

Reactions: Andrew O

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts

kia k5 mirror

sonata mirror

Both look the same to me, so k5 probably also has
poor mirror visibility.
Part of effective side view mirrors/usage is also how close to or far away from the side of the car they are.

Also, from a driver's seated position, no part of their own vehicle should be visible in those side-view mirrors, when correctly set.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm 5'10, 175 lbs and had a 2018 Sport 1.5 and now have a 2021 Sport 2.0 and don't have an issue with this. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I rest the side of my leg on it frequently.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since this discussion has included some comments on mirrors, I have to say that the single most-annoying thing about my Accord (2018 Accord Hybrid Touring) is that the memory seat settings don't save the side mirror positions. That is/was an almost inexcusable omission. The car is my wife's daily driver - I only drive it once in a while, either on weekends, or on trips. And so I try to leave the mirrors where my wife likes them, although I have nudged them a bit to make them at least semi-OK for me..... Did Honda ever "fix" this in subsequent model years?

Every other car I've ever had with memory seats has saved the side mirror positions with the seat settings....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm 5'10, 175 lbs and had a 2018 Sport 1.5 and now have a 2021 Sport 2.0 and don't have an issue with this. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I rest the side of my leg on it frequently.
I think it's like my seat issue, not your size but more your body style. The review was by throttle house and they look my size

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Re Mirrors, my solution for every car (and motorcycle) i've owned has been to install those 2" blind spot mirrors to the outer lower corners of the factory mirrors. Solves 99% of the problems. And yes, I do adjust the mirrors so the door handle is barely visible.

The seat/mirror memory link should be standard these days but it's not. My infiniti had that - actually it was linked to the keyboards, diff settings for diff fobs.

I test drove another sonata. While the seating position is not 100% similar to the '15 accord, it's about 95% there, which I think I can live with. Too bad no deals because dealers are asking $1-4K over msrp. Pass.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
test drove another sonata. While the seating position is not 100% similar to the '15 accord, it's about 95% there, which I think I can live with. Too bad no deals because dealers are asking $1-4K over msrp. Pass.
Are you serious!? I mean, I know the car market is “hot” and all and all the shortages etc etc., but last I looked the Honda dealers were still willing to do MSRP on the new Civic (which is a very solid car) for my friend. I’m pretty sure that they could take a couple grand off for the Accord when I was shopping with another friend earlier, just a couple months ago. At least that was the case for a new Camry SE when we were looking at it. Selling thousands over MSRP? On a Sonata?…. 😂

Back on topic, have you thought about moving the seat back and adjust the steering wheel? That has worked well for me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Re Mirrors, my solution for every car (and motorcycle) i've owned has been to install those 2" blind spot mirrors to the outer lower corners of the factory mirrors. Solves 99% of the problems. And yes, I do adjust the mirrors so the door handle is barely visible.

The seat/mirror memory link should be standard these days but it's not. My infiniti had that - actually it was linked to the keyboards, diff settings for diff fobs.

I test drove another sonata. While the seating position is not 100% similar to the '15 accord, it's about 95% there, which I think I can live with. Too bad no deals because dealers are asking $1-4K over msrp. Pass.
$1,000-$4,000 over MSRP for a Sonata? The world really has gone crazy. No way...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I kid you not! Another dealer wanted $700 over msrp, but went down to $350. Still not good enough. It's not a car I NEED to have. If it was the right color and I was really emotionally attached, that $350 is negligible. At this point it's a matter of principle for me. The last car I gave in on was the G. It was a custom order, my color, 6mt sedan, nowhere to be found for several states in each direction. Hyundai's are a dime a dozen, even the N lines.

I have the steering wheel fully extended as it is. If it extended further, that would solve the knee problem. The wheel travel seems limited, only a few inches (3-4?).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I kid you not! Another dealer wanted $700 over msrp, but went down to $350. Still not good enough. It's not a car I NEED to have. If it was the right color and I was really emotionally attached, that $350 is negligible. At this point it's a matter of principle for me. The last car I gave in on was the G. It was a custom order, my color, 6mt sedan, nowhere to be found for several states in each direction. Hyundai's are a dime a dozen, even the N lines.

I have the steering wheel fully extended as it is. If it extended further, that would solve the knee problem. The wheel travel seems limited, only a few inches (3-4?).
I see. Wow! They’re really confident about their cars, I guess. The N lines and G going over MSRP are a different story. The regular Sonatas… it’s not like they just came out right? I’m pretty sure it’s been at least a year now. I’m they are limited (as are all cars now), but they can’t be that limited lol.

As for the seating, I’m not sure exactly how long the wheel travel is, but it’s rather short. It is enough for me though. After a few tries, I’d say I’m about halfway back (from all the way back) for my seat, and I’ve adjusted the wheel just a bit over halfway (3/5 or so of the entire travel) toward me, and it seems to work well for me so far.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts