Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
2010 2.4EX
629 Posts
Just spotted this in my Hyundai Sonata digest from when I still had the 2011 YF Gen:

Center console knee pain '21 sonata

It's happening in all makes and models!

Cars have gotten progressively smaller over the last forty years, but the average person has gotten BIGGER.

Either shave 1/4-1/2 inch off the overall console width, or, make the cars wider! Something's gotta give. I'm 51 years old, 5'7"(5'8" back in college) now weigh about 194lbs, so I can fit in almost anything, except mabe a Fit or Yaris, lol!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I see. Wow! They’re really confident about their cars, I guess. The N lines and G going over MSRP are a different story. The regular Sonatas… it’s not like they just came out right? I’m pretty sure it’s been at least a year now. I’m they are limited (as are all cars now), but they can’t be that limited lol.
The way I see it, at the end of the day, the car is still a hyundai or kia, even if it is an N. In 5 years, its residual value will be ~47% vs ~58% for an accord (considering 12K miles/year, more value in my case since I drive less). The car is just not worth $38K (otd) to me. $34/35K OTD would be a more realistic number. Will play the long game, 8/3 new offers/incentives arrive. Also, there's an open recall for this new engine involving the fuel rail (see below). Surprisingly the one I drove was not part of the recall.. yay!

Either I get burned and end up paying more, or not. I'm willing to take the gamble. There's still labor day, thanksgiving, and christmas sales. Fortunately this car is not a unicorn so finding out will become easier as inventory increases.

Maybe I should just scrap the whole car idea and get that motorcycle I [email protected]# That will really resolve the need for speed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
@The_K_Man

I remember my old mid 80's taxicab car. Leg room galore! There was no center console back then. I honestly think these days not as much R&D goes into car ergonomics as into suv's. The market just isn't there any more. Big people buy trucks/suvs so why invest for little return. Seen the new 370z (or 400z or whatever it will be called)? I get claustrophobic just looking at pics of that car - 2021 Nissan 400Z Will Revive the Z-Car's Legacy with Twin-Turbo V-6 Power .

I'm 6' ~190-200 (seasonal :) ). Performance is important, but so is having a reasonable level of comfort.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re Mirrors, my solution for every car (and motorcycle) i've owned has been to install those 2" blind spot mirrors to the outer lower corners of the factory mirrors. Solves 99% of the problems. And yes, I do adjust the mirrors so the door handle is barely visible.

The seat/mirror memory link should be standard these days but it's not. My infiniti had that - actually it was linked to the keyboards, diff settings for diff fobs.

I test drove another sonata. While the seating position is not 100% similar to the '15 accord, it's about 95% there, which I think I can live with. Too bad no deals because dealers are asking $1-4K over msrp. Pass.
Live near Atlanta, mine is still sitting at the honda dealer :) had 281 miles when I traded it..My wife is very similar Hight and it didn't bother her

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^You traded a sonata N for a honda accord? Why?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^Drove it for a good 45 minutes yesterday. Enough to get to the point of talking numbers. We were about $1000 apart. Part of that was a 'market adjustment' I absolutely refused to pay based on principle. In hindsight it's a good thing the deal didn't go through. Try as I can to like the car and the company again, doing more research on the engine (2.5T) reveals there may be significant problems down the line.

This -
- was an interesting video. Turn on the subtitles. In essence due to the way the engine is designed, there is excessive piston slap and oil consumption. Granted this is the NA engine, but the turbo one is based on this.

Another N line I test drove (in white), already had some rust build up on painted surfaces under the hood.

@markayash, if i'm replying to a post directly above, there's no need to quote. That's what the ^^ is for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
^^ that's a interesting video. The SEL I drive wasn't a turbo but drove and had a lot of power. Said something about having dual clutch's. Hate the seat wasn't a good fit.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The only one with the DCT is the N line or the kia k5 gt. The other trims comes with standard trans. I thought the seats (n line) were ok. I'd prefer leather though. Jury is still out on the engine.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts