Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I know that Ktuner and Hondata has ECM tuning available to really wake up the v6. However, I think car is hampered by the transmission, specifically the shift points, wayyy more than it is hampered by the engine output. The car upshifts very, very quickly, especially out of first gear...even in S. Do the Ktuner and Hondata tuners alter the trans programming too or just the engine?

·
port & polish everything
1,562 Posts
Neither system currently offers tuning for auto trannies. Supposedly the tranny runs on a separate processor than the engine.

Just throwing this out there, at least for the 8G I4, it might be easy for someone to figure out how to raise the shift point. The LX and EX engines and trannies are almost the same and the EX has higher shift points than the LX. Someone could compare the LX and EX tranny code side by side and easily see where the code is different and then presumably the shift point.

A minor wrinkle is that gears 2,3,4 have different ratios and the tranny ECU apparently does monitoring for input vs output rpms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, the thread I've been waiting for. I would love it for more people to chime in on this topic as progression in this area would make it feel like a completely different car...literally.

·
port & polish everything
1,562 Posts
There's definitely performance locked up in the auto tranny. The I4 auto also shifts before rated peak power, vtec.net tested a TSX in auto vs sportshift.

5AT (auto)
0-60 8.7s
1/4 [email protected]

5AT (sportshift)
0-60 7.7s
1/4 [email protected]

6MT
0-60 6.9s
1/4 [email protected]

The 5AT's transmission logic seems to be biased towards economy and refinement rather than all out performance, as it tends to upshift a bit short of the redline when left to its own devices. As you can see on the dyno charts on the next page, this motor is making good power all the way to the rev limiter, so obviously to extract the maximum performance from it, it's best to upshift as close to the limiter as possible. During our acceleration testing we were able to shave a full second off the 0-60 time by pushing the transmission selection lever over into the sportshift mode.
The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online - Articles

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
327 Posts
I'd really just like 1st gear to hold longer on the V6 sedan. Since we have no paddle shifters or any kind of gear selection, this really affects the low-speed fun factor in a huge way.
I've got a 2015 EX-L Coupe and got news for ya. I do have paddle shifters and it makes no difference with 1st gear. It does exactly the same thing. Automatically upshifts to 2nd at 7mph with light throttle and will not downshift to 1st gear until about 2mph when coming to a stop. I've found that with moderately heavy throttle, it will downshift to 1st gear but as soon as you let off it goes right back to 2nd gear. And if you wanna keep it in 1st gear after pulling out, get ready to attract attention

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you guys have another gear besides 'D' (Drive) and 'S' (Sport)?

I ask this because I race my Fit in 'L' (Low) gear. What I notice is that instead of shifting out of 1st gear at 25mph, it shifts out of 1st gear at 41mph. So in essence, it is holding first gear longer and my 1/4 mile times improve doing this (As well as off idle acceleration if needed).

I'm not recommending anyone do this however, if you have an 'L' gear, this is an option. I use it all the time. **Just sharing**

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
139 Posts
Do you guys have another gear besides 'D' (Drive) and 'S' (Sport)?

I ask this because I race my Fit in 'L' (Low) gear. What I notice is that instead of shifting out of 1st gear at 25mph, it shifts out of 1st gear at 41mph. So in essence, it is holding first gear longer and my 1/4 mile times improve doing this (As well as off idle acceleration if needed).

I'm not recommending anyone do this however, if you have an 'L' gear, this is an option. I use it all the time. **Just sharing**
Does your Fit run a CVT transmission? CVT's don't have "gears" as they can infinitely adjust along its range. They can mimic a gears by switching to specific ratios and holding it. Which might be what you are experiencing when it is in "1st gear".

From my understanding the CVT's in the Accord under WOT will bring hold the RPMs at peak power (6500?). That is why some people don't like the sound of them as it is a constant drone up until you let go of the gas.

Some Accords do however have a traditional automatic transmission and they can be found on the V6 models.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had just posted a long reply but the OP never said he had a CVT so it's a moot point.

But yes, you can get the car to hold 1st gear, 1st gear ratio or however you want to term it, longer. I can see this in my Ktuner datalogs. No matter though. Carry on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had just posted a long reply but the OP never said he had a CVT so it's a moot point.

But yes, you can get the car to hold 1st gear, 1st gear ratio or however you want to term it, longer. I can see this in my Ktuner datalogs. No matter though. Carry on!
Hi I will like to know how to put 1 gear longer I have a Accord sport 2015 I put my k-tune , intake, ignition coil, 72mm k-tune throttle body, space , pipe from 1/2 back and I shot ?% methanol I will love to put a intake manifold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts