Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

241 - 260 of 292 Posts

·
port & polish everything
1,569 Posts
I just looked and ktuner website says "Running 91+ will give the best results" for both 1.5T and 2.0T.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Considering 93 runs better on the stock engines, Id say run 91 at least with the tunes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there, I am getting they keying on and off error after the flash is uploaded. I wait the 5 seconds turn off the car and back to accessory mode, and then click ok. I contacted K tuner but waiting for a response from them. I need help, since the car cant turn off now, I had to disconnect the battery, Thanks Guys

·
Registered
138 Posts
So after finally updating my V2 and enabling VSA, I also removed Early Spool on my 2.0. There was a significant drop in the number of knock events. I have Throttle and Turbo Response maxed, but removed quick spool. The car is also noticeably smoother. I wonder if this is just with the 2.0? But the car is much happier with Early spool off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there, I am getting they keying on and off error after the flash is uploaded. I wait the 5 seconds turn off the car and back to accessory mode, and then click ok. I contacted K tuner but waiting for a response from them. I need help, since the car cant turn off now, I had to disconnect the battery, Thanks Guys
So just an update, since I couldn't turn the car off, I had to call Honda roadside assistance and tow it to a nearby dealer. They had to reset the ecu to get it back running. Question is, do I really want to try uploading a tune again??? I will wait it out I guess.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So after finally updating my V2 and enabling VSA, I also removed Early Spool on my 2.0. There was a significant drop in the number of knock events. I have Throttle and Turbo Response maxed, but removed quick spool. The car is also noticeably smoother. I wonder if this is just with the 2.0? But the car is much happier with Early spool off.
So it's a 2.0 thing or your fuel, because my 1.5 has zero knock events.

·
OBSIDIANBLUE
515 Posts
So just an update, since I couldn't turn the car off, I had to call Honda roadside assistance and tow it to a nearby dealer. They had to reset the ecu to get it back running. Question is, do I really want to try uploading a tune again??? I will wait it out I guess.
This is me trying to be a shade tree mechanic....lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man, I was so pissed that the car would not upload the new tune. I am so wary now of using the ktuner, thinking it might happen again. All Ktuner said was make sure the laptop was in high performance mode which it was. No real explanation of why it happened.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone else noticed knock with a 2.0T and the Stage 2 tune? I rode around for a few days with early spool enabled and the Stage 2 tune and I did not notice my knock values climbing. I'm also running 93 octane 24/7. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I need to monitor or if this was a fluke with just one user?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone else noticed knock with a 2.0T and the Stage 2 tune? I rode around for a few days with early spool enabled and the Stage 2 tune and I did not notice my knock values climbing. I'm also running 93 octane 24/7. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I need to monitor or if this was a fluke with just one user?
I'll try to log some data and report back. I don't how detailed ktuner is for channel data as I really haven't delved deep as I'm only running the base maps and feel comfortable doing so. However, when viewing your logs, does it indicate what cylinder you are seeing the knock? At what rpm and throttle position? And lastly is it pulling ignition timing?

If in cylinder 2(or any one cylinder) , low rpm, heavy throttle and no ignition pulling its probably ghost knock. Older Honda engines including the k24 from the last Gen Si had its knock sensor on cylinder 2 and it was extremely sensitive. I owned one that was CT supercharged and was tuned by (Vit viper if you know him for quality check) this was prevelant. Even after my tune was done it was always cylinder 2 with the conditions above due to being boosted and it making noise and vibration. Figuring out where our knock sensor is would be a good first step.

*could * be the same deal here with early spool making things louder. I know when I step on it down low it vibrates before shifting down or starts to pick up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll try to log some data and report back. I don't how detailed ktuner is for channel data as I really haven't delved deep as I'm only running the base maps and feel comfortable doing so. However, when viewing your logs, does it indicate what cylinder you are seeing the knock? At what rpm and throttle position? And lastly is it pulling ignition timing?

If in cylinder 2(or any one cylinder) , low rpm, heavy throttle and no ignition pulling its probably ghost knock. Older Honda engines including the k24 from the last Gen Si had its knock sensor on cylinder 2 and it was extremely sensitive. I owned one that was CT supercharged and was tuned by (Vit viper if you know him for quality check) this was prevelant. Even after my tune was done it was always cylinder 2 with the conditions above due to being boosted and it making noise and vibration. Figuring out where our knock sensor is would be a good first step.

*could * be the same deal here with early spool making things louder. I know when I step on it down low it vibrates before shifting down or starts to pick up.
It was so long ago I don't remember exactly. I would have to plug in the unit and do some logs to see, which I can if need be. I was just curious as to what other people have noticed. I just assumed if I ran 93 octane I would be safe using any setting on one of their base maps. Let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same. Thanks for your input.

·
port & polish everything
1,569 Posts
Some knock might be due to local conditions. CA temps are warmer and fuel quality sometimes not so good. 91 octane is the highest fuel that can is widely available. Funny trivia, the guys running vtec.net suggest not using Shell fuel atleast in CA.

My knock control is still well behaved, highest I've ever seen was ~.67 in low 80Fs, sitting in traffic. Stage 2 only, no early spool, 92 octane. Additionally make sure you use high quality oil, I believe bad oil has lower flashpoint and autoignition temps, thus more likely to cause detonation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm running the Stage 2 with my 2.0 Sport Manual. Most aggressive settings..early spool, highest turbo, highest throttle, VSA. I use 93 octane. My Knock number is .49 - .55 in local or highway. So, I think that is fine, but, the Knock Count is usually around 10 on my usual 35 mile commute. Should I be concerned? No other symptoms of anything wrong and car drives great.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I have same experience.

I'm running the Stage 2 with my 2.0 Sport Manual. Most aggressive settings..early spool, highest turbo, highest throttle, VSA. I use 93 octane. My Knock number is .49 - .55 in local or highway. So, I think that is fine, but, the Knock Count is usually around 10 on my usual 35 mile commute. Should I be concerned? No other symptoms of anything wrong and car drives great.
Totally good man. A bunch of documents out there about this issue on 10th gen Civics.
VitViper (I sell for them too!) did a really good write up but his stuff is down.

Apparently the actually knock count is inaccurate and you need to only monitor K.Control. I've actually raced my 18' Civic Si with a TSP Stage 1 tune in 100F weather at 1.00 K.Control.......the car will pull timing, ignition & etc automatically to avoid damage. Works very well, even with these tunes....even the hotter tunes like the TSP I was using. I showed hundreds of knock events on the Si but it never had any issues, won me tons of brackets even at 0.90 K.Control & the engine oil analysis always came back very very positive. Trust your cars ECU!

KTuner will actually flash the check engine light if there is a serious knock event apparently? I don't know- gotta ask the boss. But you can always reflash if you blow your engine/trans and get a new one no charge from Honda, ha!

K.Control is usually fine between 0.49-0.80.....might lay off it a bit and cruise to bring the numbers back down. Very common on smaller displacement turbocharged vehicles(especially DI) where there's a lot of heat & boost in a very small space!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok, so all of this knock talk rattled me a little bit so I re flashed and turned off early spool. I will have to drive it some more to comment on if I think it has better street manners now, or if I feel like it's lost some power. I'll report back soon!

·
Registered
758 Posts
So I received my Ktuner today and got everything ready and was wondering how long does it take to flash the ECU using the Ktuner? Don’t want to start the process unless I know I have plenty of time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
takes about 5-10 minutes. Some advice, make sure the laptop is plugged into charge, get a battery tender if possible for your car, turn off the auto lights. The second time I attempted a tune, I had the auto lights on and it was draining the battery while attempting to load the tune.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well I started to tune it today but that died quickly...lol... My only Microsoft laptop is 9 years old and wouldn’t run the Ktuner software, tried my work laptop but the security software wouldn’t let the tuner software run. Ktuner doesn’t support Mac which is my only new laptop so I guess I’m going to drag my all in one desktop out to the garage Saturday morning and give it another go...lol

241 - 260 of 292 Posts