Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My 2005 Accord has 110k miles and the suspension is beginning to feel a bit dead. For my budget, it looks like KYB is the way to go. Should I keep the original springs and replace the struts only, or should I just get the complete assembly from KYB and replace the strut/springs. I am not that concerned with increasing the performance from stock, just want the suspension to be a little more comfortable and responsive to impacts.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,531 Posts
Do what is financially best for you. Your springs should be fine. Coils wear little and they're not supporting the front of a Super Duty.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,141 Posts
Hello everyone. My 2005 Accord has 110k miles and the suspension is beginning to feel a bit dead. For my budget, it looks like KYB is the way to go. Should I keep the original springs and replace the struts only, or should I just get the complete assembly from KYB and replace the strut/springs. I am not that concerned with increasing the performance from stock, just want the suspension to be a little more comfortable and responsive to impacts.
If you let a shop do the job, just get complete assembly, because any savings in parts will be spent on the extra labor hours. Also less chance for the shop to screw things up.

If you DIY, then reusing factory springs/hardware is an option.
When I replaced mine, I bought the complete assembly. Mainly because there seemed some subtle noise from the rear, which I suspected worn parts in the assembly. Instead of figuring it out what caused the noise, I just picked the complete assembly.

If there is nothing wrong (noise, rust...), buy strut only is certainly an option, just be prepared to deal with swapping of the springs, which can cost time, especially if a bolt is stuck/worn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Visionguru. Did you replace the OEM struts with the KYB complete assembly? I'm looking to get back to the OEM ride performance, but without the cost! I just replaced my daughters TSX struts only and kept the original springs. Its a job I can tackle but I'm concerned about the KYB spring rate.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
KYB is probably the closet you will get on a aftermarket strut to oem. Monroe, Gabriel are economy lines. Koni would be an upgrade over oem but you will spend the $.

·
7th Gear
1,542 Posts
Mainly because there seemed some subtle noise from the rear, which I suspected worn parts in the assembly. Instead of figuring it out what caused the noise, I just picked the complete assembly.
What was the noise? I've noticed a noise in the back that happens with sharp impacts that sounds like a hollow knock.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,141 Posts
Thanks for the reply Visionguru. Did you replace the OEM struts with the KYB complete assembly? I'm looking to get back to the OEM ride performance, but without the cost! I just replaced my daughters TSX struts only and kept the original springs. Its a job I can tackle but I'm concerned about the KYB spring rate.
Yes, I replaced the 150K OEM strut with KYB assembly. I don't know who started
nitpicking about KYB riding height or spring etc., but I don't feel any difference right after, the ride quality is certainly an improvement over old OEM with less suspension noise and better damping of bumpy roads.

What was the noise? I've noticed a noise in the back that happens with sharp impacts that sounds like a hollow knock.
The noise was like something being loose on bumpy roads, not distinct clunk or knock. At first, I looked at other suspension components, such as sway bar links/bushings. After new strut assemblies, the noise is gone. My guess is that some parts (strut mount?) are worn in the strut assembly.

·
7th Gear
1,542 Posts
The noise was like something being loose on bumpy roads, not distinct clunk or knock. At first, I looked at other suspension components, such as sway bar links/bushings. After new strut assemblies, the noise is gone. My guess is that some parts (strut mount?) are worn in the strut assembly.
I guess that's a better way of describing the noise... I just did significant sound deadening and rattle prevention to try to get rid of the noise, but I'm thinking the struts are likely juiced, since my ride has declined over time, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks once more Visionguru! I will use the complete assembly, that way I know all the bushings and parts will be new also. And it will be much easier!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Springs are not wear items, there is no reason to change springs unless you want to change the specs (height and stiffness). If you are doing the work yourself, one consideration is safety. Spring + shock absorber assembly is under spring tension. You will want to get a decent spring compressor tool, or rent one from the local auto parts store and learn how to use it safely. If you decide to change the entire assembly you can skip this entire step.

I currently have KYB shock absorbers. Broke one of the oem shocks about 5K ago and changed the pair in both front corners. No noticeable difference than factory, which was the intention at the time.

If I were to (for whatever reason) get a new coilover assembly, I would go for an adjustable set. Drop the car in summer, lift in winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Springs are not wear items, there is no reason to change springs unless you want to change the specs (height and stiffness). If you are doing the work yourself, one consideration is safety. Spring + shock absorber assembly is under spring tension. You will want to get a decent spring compressor tool, or rent one from the local auto parts store and learn how to use it safely. If you decide to change the entire assembly you can skip this entire step.

I currently have KYB shock absorbers. Broke one of the oem shocks about 5K ago and changed the pair in both front corners. No noticeable difference than factory, which was the intention at the time.

If I were to (for whatever reason) get a new coilover assembly, I would go for an adjustable set. Drop the car in summer, lift in winter.
Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. I might just change the shock only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts