Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price: $50 with coupon code "10OFF". http://www.lamin-x.com/Honda-Accord-Sedan-06-07-Tail-Light-Covers-p/h220.htm

Installation instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kOPMnyHrA

Installation difficulty: 7/10

Installation time: 45 minutes

I got the "Gunsmoke" shade, which is the second lightest tint choice they have. The installation video makes it seem a lot easier than it really is. I didn't really anticipate how difficult it would be for me. I had a pretty hard time getting squeegeeing all the bubbles out, and even now there still a good amount of bubbles which I'm hoping will disappearing once the material cures. If you've had experience doing your own tint, or something similar, then you'll probably have an easier time than I did. Overall it looks really good, though I might consider just getting a professional tint shop do it if those bubbles and wrinkles don't cure out.

Before:

After:

I'll update later with night pics to see how well the lights come through

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
It's not night time you need to worry about. It's in bright sun that tail-light tint tends to make tail-lights useless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Turned out good, I want to do mine but i want such a light smoke i haven't been able to find anyone that sells a light enough smoke for me..

I tried this on my GS430 last year, and it's definetly a pain in the butt, those videos always make it look way easier, i've tinted office windows before but it's very different tinting a curved object..

Don't listen to the people on this forum, most of the people on here seem to click on threads just so they can find something to talk trash about..

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Don't listen to the people on this forum, most of the people on here seem to click on threads just so they can find something to talk trash about..
Well, since you're a person and you're participating on this forum I'd agree that we shouldn't listen to your advice in this instance. Unlike you, apparently, most people here care about the safety of themselves and of our fellow road users. That's why we think tinting lights is just a bad idea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had friends follow behind me to check the visibility of the lights in both bright daylight and at night, and neither of them had any trouble seeing my brake lights

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
It doesn't matter what your friends see with their eyes! Thats not how it works! Other people don't see the same as your so called friends, they see totally different in a world filled with Glare! blah blah blah. Tint on taillights is stupid. :biggrin:

Looks good.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
I've had friends follow behind me to check the visibility of the lights in both bright daylight and at night, and neither of them had any trouble seeing my brake lights
And I'm sure both of your friends are representative of all drivers out there on the road. :rolleyes:

Automotive lamps have to meet federal requirements for good reason. And you really have no idea if those lights now meet minimum standards, your friends so-called observations notwithstanding.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
It doesn't matter what your friends see with their eyes! Thats not how it works! Other people don't see the same as your so called friends, they see totally different in a world filled with Glare! blah blah blah. Tint on taillights is stupid. :biggrin:

Looks good.
The bolded part is correct.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
And I'm sure both of your friends are representative of all drivers out there on the road. :rolleyes:

Automotive lamps have to meet federal requirements for good reason. And you really have no idea if those lights now meet minimum standards, your friends so-called observations notwithstanding.
SEE! I told you one of them would make a comment like that! haha

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
technically the federal law is that the taillights are visible from 1000ft if you meet that requirement there is nothing different then treating these are normal taillights

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
technically the federal law is that the taillights are visible from 1000ft if you meet that requirement there is nothing different then treating these are normal taillights
It's really not that simple. At the federal level FMVSS 108 applies. This includes measurements of light intensity at multiple points both on and off axis. By applying a tint one never knows just how that intensity has changed. This is why tinting the lights is not legal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Would i be shunned more than i already am if i say i like them? lol

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
It's really not that simple. At the federal level FMVSS 108 applies. This includes measurements of light intensity at multiple points both on and off axis. By applying a tint one never knows just how that intensity has changed. This is why tinting the lights is not legal.
Never is... :rolleyes:

You sound like the drunk guy in that Dane Cook skit, Its not that easy, its its not that easy you guys... and right before he passes out Lobster Bisque.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
Dream, why you always tearin on everyone? That's fine if you think tinted tails are stupid, cause you billet grille looks stupid. I think that THAT's the stupidest mod anyone could do to a car, it looks shitty and tacky.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Dream, why you always tearin on everyone? That's fine if you think tinted tails are stupid, cause you billet grille looks stupid. I think that THAT's the stupidest mod anyone could do to a car, it looks shitty and tacky.
His grille has no impact on road safety. Tinted tails do. Tinted tails are not just a personal cosmetic mod when they impact others.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Never is... :rolleyes:

You sound like the drunk guy in that Dane Cook skit, Its not that easy, its its not that easy you guys... and right before he passes out Lobster Bisque.
Don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts