1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
290 Posts
I hope it goes through. My accord been eating oil ever since 48,000 after that pcm update..

·
Registered
92 Posts
thank you! Finally because my accord is horrible on gas and I always thought it was just me, but even when I drive slow and on highway I get pretty bad mileage. I guess it is a common problem, and its a 4 cylinder

·
Registered
570 Posts
thank you! Finally because my accord is horrible on gas and I always thought it was just me, but even when I drive slow and on highway I get pretty bad mileage. I guess it is a common problem, and its a 4 cylinder
Unless your car is burning excessive amounts of oil too, this wouldn't apply to you. Nothing about crappy gas mileage in this suit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So...... what's the status on that lawsuit? Althought I don't believe my car is burning oil, I would like to know whats going on there. The law suit news is posted 2012 March. It has been one year now. Any more recent news?

There is one guy mentioned a recall and a new motor for Canadians. Do anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you please lay it out in layman's term. English is not my first language. Thanks.
That is layman's terms. Honda wanted to force the car owners into binding arbitration to resolve the lawsuit. The car owners didn't want to go into arbitration and the judge ruled in favor of the car owners and denied Honda's motion. Honda asked the judge to reconsider, she did but didn't change her ruling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
curious on the status of this..keep us posted.
i am thinking as this generation ages and more people get to 100k, there's going to be more cases.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
710 Posts
I asked the dealership about this today and they said the recall was already done my car (several months ago). This seems strange since I did not think this was ever an official recall or fix.

Scott C.

·
2012 Coupe V6 with Navi
238 Posts
is this including all 8th generation? My car is a 2012 v6 coupe and have no problem with the oil consumption

·
Registered
646 Posts
is this including all 8th generation? My car is a 2012 v6 coupe and have no problem with the oil consumption
All 8th Gen? No.

Are you familiar w/the expression "The present eye sees only the present problem"? That's what you are seeing here. A handful of dissatisfied owners, many of whom have only a very limited understanding of how internal combustion engines work, see themselves as victims of deceit and want some sort of financial compensation. It becomes an obsession. If you want a more comprehensive, and thus more accurate perception of Honda's 8th generation Accord -- the good and the bad -- you need to look to a much broader survey of owners. Consumer Reports or Consumers Digest annual surveys, for example. And those perceptions are much more favorable than what you are likely to find in a thread such as this one.

You will also find in further research that class action lawsuits are, by and large, the result of plaintiff firms seeking to generate business, pure and simple. And, depending on where they file their lawsuits, they often do quite well. Those who are part of such lawsuits, on the other hand, receive next to nothing. Case in point: The case action lawsuit begun five years ago seeking millions in compensation for "defect brakes." Owners of 8th generation accords received either a "free" set of brake pads, which retail for about $80, or reimbursement of half the expense they incurred from the replacement of a set of brake pads. The lawyers who represented them received several hundred thousand dollars (and asked for $2M).

So, even assuming the lawyers in this case can muster enough disgruntled owners to establish a class, and further assuming they ultimately prevail in their lawsuit, the relief granted the plaintiffs -- i.e., original owners who now have or once had a financial relationship with HMC during the original engine warranty period -- that relief is likely to be some insignificant percentage of the expense they can demonstate they paid for motor oil over the life of the vehicle. The illusion of new engines, or even replacement parts, is utter fiction. That won't happen because the relief sought simply is not purportional to the "injury" suffered. In the meantime, you can expect to read a lot of vitriol from the disseffected.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,543 Posts
All 8th Gen? No.

Are you familiar w/the expression "The present eye sees only the present problem"? That's what you are seeing here. A handful of dissatisfied owners, many of whom have only a very limited understanding of how internal combustion engines work, see themselves as victims of deceit and want some sort of financial compensation. It becomes an obsession. If you want a more comprehensive, and thus more accurate perception of Honda's 8th generation Accord -- the good and the bad -- you need to look to a much broader survey of owners. Consumer Reports or Consumers Digest annual surveys, for example. And those perceptions are much more favorable than what you are likely to find in a thread such as this one.

You will also find in further research that class action lawsuits are, by and large, the result of plaintiff firms seeking to generate business, pure and simple. And, depending on where they file their lawsuits, they often do quite well. Those who are part of such lawsuits, on the other hand, receive next to nothing. Case in point: The case action lawsuit begun five years ago seeking millions in compensation for "defect brakes." Owners of 8th generation accords received either a "free" set of brake pads, which retail for about $80, or reimbursement of half the expense they incurred from the replacement of a set of brake pads. The lawyers who represented them received several hundred thousand dollars (and asked for $2M).

So, even assuming the lawyers in this case can muster enough disgruntled owners to establish a class, and further assuming they ultimately prevail in their lawsuit, the relief granted the plaintiffs -- i.e., original owners who now have or once had a financial relationship with HMC during the original engine warranty period -- that relief is likely to be some insignificant percentage of the expense they can demonstate they paid for motor oil over the life of the vehicle. The illusion of new engines, or even replacement parts, is utter fiction. That won't happen because the relief sought simply is not purportional to the "injury" suffered. In the meantime, you can expect to read a lot of vitriol from the disseffected.
excellent read....and 100% fact

·
1,926 Posts
From today's Automotive News. Here's the link to the story to get the details in pdf form

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131022/OEM11/131029975/american-honda-settles-class-action-suit-over-oil-burning-defect

Andrew Thurlow
Automotive News
October 22, 2013 - 12:00 pm ET

DETROIT -- American Honda Motor Co. has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over claims that it manufactured 1,593,755 defective vehicles that excessively burn oil and require frequent spark plug replacements.

The settlement concerns all U.S. purchasers and lessees of 2008-12 Accord, 2008-13 Odyssey, 2009-13 Pilot, 2010-11 Accord Crosstour and 2012 Crosstour vehicles equipped with six-cylinder engines that have variable cylinder management. Accord vehicles with four-cylinder engines are excluded from the settlement.

The original suit -- filed in March 2012 by plaintiffs Alex Soto and Vince Eagen -- claimed the vehicles contained a "systematic design defect that enables oil to enter into the engine's combustion chamber." The alleged defect led to "premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction," court documents said.

The plaintiffs claimed Honda hid the problem from consumers. Honda denied the allegation, despite receiving hundreds of online complaints on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Web site, and about 130 on carcomplaints.com concerning the 2008 Accord alone.

Honda later issued a technical service bulletin notifying its technicians to check for the defect. The automaker did not issue a recall because a safety issue was not discovered.

The majority of complaints allege that Honda said it was normal for a powertrain to burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The suit claimed Honda refused to cover warranties for the vehicles and, instead, instructed customers to check their oil every time they get gas.

Eagan claims that he had to add a quart of oil to his vehicle each month and had to replace his "prematurely fouled" spark plugs twice within 55,000 miles as a result of oil burning in the cylinders.

Soto said in court documents that he routinely noticed carbon buildup on his exhaust pipe -- a sign that oil, and not just gasoline, is burning in the powertrain.

Honda assured Soto that this, too, was normal, court documents show.

Dave Sullivan, an analyst at research firm AutoPacific, said that today's emission requirements do not permit engines to burn oil.

"It's too dirty," Sullivan said. "We're seeing cars go 10,000 miles now between oil changes. If there was a quart for every thousand miles you would need 10 quarts, and most cars don't have that many quarts in them."

Sullivan said when he changed the oil in his Mazda6 that he may have lost "a cup or two of oil between changes, but that was over 7,500 miles. I think that's a negligible amount. That being said, there's no excuse for a quart every thousand miles."

Sullivan said the last major episode that involved people complaining about oil burn was with the Mazda RX-8. "Instead of waiting for people to complain, [Mazda] was more proactive and … said 'even if you don't have a problem, you're going to have one so let's just fix it now.'"

Honda declined to comment until after the case is granted final approval.

The settlement was reached after U.S. District Judge Susan Illston declined the defendant's motion to force arbitration on the case in Oct. 2012. The judge found that Honda was a third-party non-signatory to a contract and therefore may not compel arbitration under the terms of the contract.

The preliminary settlement approval was given Oct. 9 by Illston in San Francisco. The final fairness hearing, which is the last step in a class action settlement, is set for March 21.

Under the conditions of the settlement, Honda agreed to extend the powertrain limited warranty for up to eight years after the original sale or lease of the vehicle. Honda also agreed not to oppose the counsel attorney fees as long as they do not exceed more than $800,000. Eagen is also asking the court to approve an incentive award of no more than $1,000 to compensate him for his time and effort on behalf of the settlement class, according to a copy of the class notice.

Details on the settlement notice, which is due to be sent out by the court Wednesday, can be found in the .pdf file attached to this story (see above).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Andrew Thurlow's summary (above) is misleading in what the proposed settlement order actually says.

It should be noted initially the proposed settlement order ["PSO"] only pertains to V-6 engines, not 4-cylinder (k-series) engines.

It is further important to note the scope of the proposed settlement. Namely: "This lawsuit is about Engine Misfire and its symptoms and causes . . . . The Engine Misfire at issue generates one or more of the following vehicle diagnostic trouble codes (“DTC”): P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304." Significantly, the proposed settlement does use or mention the words "oil consumption" anywhere in the proposed settlement order. Thus, unless the claimant's V-6 experiences a "diagnosed" "engine misfire" that results in one of the DTCs listed in the proposed order, the fact that the engine may consume "x" amount of motor oil per thousand miles is not relevant and is not included in the PSO.

Thurlow also failed to note that (quoting from the PSO): "The Court has not decided in favor of Plaintiff or Defendant. Instead, both sides agreed to a settlement on behalf of everyone in the proposed Settlement Class . . . . Settlement Class Members will only receive certain agreed-upon benefits "if the settlement is approved and becomes Final." That determination will not be made until March 21, 2014.

What are the proposed benefits for claimants? Good question. Here again, it's important to read the PSO for content. If the PSO becomes final, the "remedy" for "qualified Engine Misfire" may include repair or replacement of spark plugs, valve stem seals, and engine pistons and/or pistons rings." The PSO further states: "[L]ess commonly performed [repairs] . . . may include repair or replacement of ignition coils, the engine short block, the engine long block, and the valve timing chain and/or valve timing tensioner." Finally, "Out-Of-Pocket Expenses for services are eligible for reimbursement only if the repair invoice or other documentation indicates that they were performed in connection the following diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304."

·
Registered
137 Posts
Received class action letter in mail yesterday. I have had no issues, so I'm not replying. And therefore opting to extend my warranty to 8yrs/unlimited mileage, which I understand only covers future issues related to engine misfire.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good to know it has unlimited mileage, since I do about 20k/year. Luckily mine only seems to eat half a quart between changes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts