Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be careful out there if you plan on getting a visor tint job on your windshield.

I just had the top of my windshield tinted and now I have an error message. When I turn on the car, the engine light comes on, the FWC, & the LDW lights. The installer believes that water could have gotten into the sensor. I'm to wait a couple of days and if it's still an issue he says he will fix the sensor through Honda.

It could be that or the Viper remote start messing with the system which I had installed at the same time (both as x-mas presents).

I'll keep you all posted. :dunno::thumbsdow

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Did they tint the outside of the windshield or the inside? Honda recommends that the windshield be replaced by a genuine Honda part because after market windshields may interfere with the camera system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They tinted the inside. They also installed a Viper remote start and I just noticed that the light that blinks now from the Viper on the inside is right behind the rear view mirror. I wonder if this could be interfering with it or if it's the tint.

I looked in the owners manual and it says the sensor for the FCW and LDW is behind the rear view mirror, but I don't see where it's at.

Does anyone know where the sensor is at exactly?

Did they tint the outside of the windshield or the inside? Honda recommends that the windshield be replaced by a genuine Honda part because after market windshields may interfere with the camera system.
Replacing the windshield? So maybe removing the tint on the front windshield would allow the signal w/the sensor to work is what you are saying?

How dark did you go on the tint for the strip? The strip on mine is 15% and I have had no problems with the operation of the system.
Limo 5%, for the strip.

Good luck with this now....:drink:
Yeah, I definitely had a few drinks last night...

I'm going to the shop tomorrow. The authorized tint installer is going to take off the 5% and see if that clears up the issue. I'll let you all know.

Nancy

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 'sensor' is just a camera up there. If you look from the outside you can see the open area that should be clear for the camera view of the road. Did they tuck tint film up in front of the camera? I would think you'd need to cut out the tint where the camera is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - problem fixed

Everything is all fixed! The problem was NOT the limo strip. It was actually the Viper remote start wiring. The 2014 pdf instructions that Honda has posted was not updated. The shop called Honda and got a walk through on the set up. That cured the issue. :thmsup:

So for those of you that want the limo strip at the top, go for it. I haven't needed to use my visor since the strip was installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also got a smart start installed, but haven't seen this issue. I went to ABT (in Glenview, IL)

off topic question- does your horn beep when you lock and unlock the doors? I do not like this "feature".

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
+1 for a picture of the windshield tint strip. That would be great, as I am thinking about doing this, too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also got a smart start installed, but haven't seen this issue. I went to ABT (in Glenview, IL)

off topic question- does your horn beep when you lock and unlock the doors? I do not like this "feature".
Off-topic answer: I don't know if your question relates to the remote start, but the MID setup menus have options for whether your horn beeps when you lock and unlock in different scenarios. You might try there. I forget which ones are controllable and which aren't, but I set mine to beep when locked at the door handle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tint wasn't the problem. Yes, the horn honks if I use the Viper remote to lock the doors. I don't however. I use my oem key fob or the button on the door to lock the car and I get the beep that I like. I hate the horn noise.

I just had surgery on my knee, so when I'm able, I'll take pics.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
I came across this when I put a vinyl strip across the top (sun strip). My old 6-6 I had tinted 5% inside, but the problem with the 9th gen is all those dam dots that will make the sun strip look rediculous. So I opted for a vinyl strip on the outside.

The FCW uses a camera mounted in your rear view mirror as we all know by now. All you have to do is figure out where the camera is, and cut a small X with a razor blade into the tint or vinyl on the outside. Make yourself a trinagle shape. Keep cutting the triangle bigger until you reach the sides of the camera opening. My FCW works perfect now and you cant even tell the vinyl is cut because its still all blacked out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Attached is a photo of how my 13 coupe is tinted along the top of the windshield. 15% at the top and the installer went around the camera area to ensure the camera will work properly.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
But how does it look from the outside? I was worried about how goofy the DOT's would look from the outside

1 - 16 of 16 Posts