Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about most Accord iPhone owners, but I right now I have zero use for the NFC reader in the car... Maybe an iOS update and a HondaLink App update is all we need? I hope this turns out to be something that has been in the works for some time and it will become an added feature of the Accord. Essentially our key FOBs do this, but Apple is getting closer to replacing my Wallet & Keys!!

Thoughts? (I'm an avid user of the current Honda Link App)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Seems like the car would already have to be equipped with an NFC reader that allows a digital key to unlock and start the car.
The pairing process will be done through the Wallet app, and then it will be necessary to have the car manufacturer’s app to proceed with the setup. Users should place the iPhone on top of the NFC reader in the car during the initial process, and then CarKey will be available in the Wallet app. After that, the key can easily be added to Apple Watch.
I am not sure but I think the Accord only has an NFC tag, not a reader. So I don't think the hardware for this is already in the car.

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
I have not read all the extensive replies but if it is leaking it should be covered under warranty.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering how buggy HondaLink app is, no thanks.
Honestly, I have no issues using an iphone 11 with my 18 accord touring

Seems like the car would already have to be equipped with an NFC reader that allows a digital key to unlock and start the car.

I am not sure but I think the Accord only has an NFC tag, not a reader. So I don't think the hardware for this is already in the car.
Hmm I will have to dig into this. I believe you are correct though

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Isn't there an NFC reader in the push/start button that lets you start the car when the battery in the fob dies? If the reader were inside the fob and its battery is dead...but a reader inside the start button that's connected to the car battery would still work...

From the manual for my '16 EX CVT Coupe:
If the beeper sounds, the indicator on the ENGINE START/STOP button flashes,
and the engine won’t start...
1. Touch the center of the ENGINE START/STOP button with the H logo on the smart entry remote while the indicator on the ENGINE START/STOP button is flashing. The buttons on the smart entry remote should be facing you.
The indicator flashes for about 30 seconds.
2. Depress the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) and press the ENGINE START/STOP button within 10 seconds after the beeper sounds and the indicator stays on.
If you don’t depress the pedal, the mode will change to ACCESSORY.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Honda might roll this out in the 11th gen Accords, but there's no way we will see it in the current model. I bought one of the very first 10th gen Accords, and joined this forum right after. I participated in lots of discussions about the great infotainment system we have and its wireless software update capability. This led us all to believe (hope) that we'd see new features over time, like CarPlay navigation in the HUD, wireless CarPlay, etc. But none of that has happened. We've seen a total of two software updates in the last year, and those were only to fix bugs. The bottom line is that Honda has shown no movement whatsoever towards becoming like Tesla when it comes to feature updates. I hope they are rethinking that behind the scenes, because I like Honda a lot, but Tesla is changing the game and it's going to hurt if Honda doesn't change too.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Honda might roll this out in the 11th gen Accords, but there's no way we will see it in the current model. I bought one of the very first 10th gen Accords, and joined this forum right after. I participated in lots of discussions about the great infotainment system we have and its wireless software update capability. This led us all to believe (hope) that we'd see new features over time, like CarPlay navigation in the HUD, wireless CarPlay, etc. But none of that has happened. We've seen a total of two software updates in the last year, and those were only to fix bugs. The bottom line is that Honda has shown no movement whatsoever towards becoming like Tesla when it comes to feature updates. I hope they are rethinking that behind the scenes, because I like Honda a lot, but Tesla is changing the game and it's going to hurt if Honda doesn't change too.
But if Honda keeps upgrading old(er) models, there'd be no incentive for you to buy a new one. So where's the money in that, even if they charged 50 bucks for each OTA update..? They're a car company, not a software/tech company...

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,164 Posts
The bottom line is that Honda has shown no movement whatsoever towards becoming like Tesla when it comes to feature updates.
Tesla? Whoa! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here when Honda can't even

be like Hyundai : https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2197

or like Kia : Kia to offer free Apple CarPlay upgrades on select models

or like Mazda : Mazda Will Now Retrofit Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on Older Models

or like Toyota : 2018 Toyota Camry and Sienna Owners Can Add Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa with New Retrofit

and offer CarPlay or Android Auto on older models.

Maybe Honda's too busy trying to improve their reliability : 2020 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. POWER

·
Registered
27 Posts
We've seen a total of two software updates in the last year, and those were only to fix bugs.
I have owned my car since April 2019, and have not seen one single update. I have wifi in my driveway, and just checked last week, was told "no updates available."

Currently:
Audio System: 18AA-1945-001
HondaLink 17.06.001

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I haven't seen any updates either. Although mine came with the backup camera recall already done or implemented from the factory. Purchased a 2019 in December 2018.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
In the manual for the 2019 Accord the sole mention of NFC is in the context of Android and the audio system.

First issue is compatibility: does NFC in the phone talk to some sort of NFC in the car. (Is there compliant NFC in the car?). The key fob (wireless entry and so on) is not NFC. It is radio. Its "recovery mode" where you hold the fob close to the push start is perhaps some sort of NFC - but is it 'compliant' for the purpose of Apple NFC? Doesn't seem so per the Accord manual.

Second is retrofitting s/w into the car. Per the discussions above and the history of the 2018/2019 model to date: not likely. But I suppose we could organize? (Well beyond outside this group) to demand it? Of course if the car NFC is only in the audio system for the audio system and only Android compatible...

like @mikemargolis I've had my Accord LX since April 2019. Not a single update. The head continues to crash on occasion (1 per 2 months average).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have owned my car since April 2019, and have not seen one single update. I have wifi in my driveway, and just checked last week, was told "no updates available."

Currently:
Audio System: 18AA-1945-001
HondaLink 17.06.001

Am I missing something?
No. The updates were all in 2018. I’m sure your car came with the latest version. If memory serves, that’s the latest version number.

When the 10th gen first came out, there were some bugs they had to iron out. Thankfully those are taken care of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Want to re-think your praise for Tesla...?

Tesla is recalling 15,000 Model X SUVs after discovering common road salt is posing serious dangers. Tesla recently discovered corrosion from road salt could cause havoc with a critical power steering mechanism on its Model X vehicles. Salt can cause the power steering assist to stop working and increase the risk of a crash.

Tesla noticed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach the power steering components. If the bolts fracture from corrosion, the power steering assist feature may be lost. The driver could still steer the vehicle, but it would be much more difficult and require more force to turn the wheel.

The recall applies to most Model X vehicles built before mid-October of 2016. Model X vehicles built after that are not affected....

🧐

·
Registered
266 Posts
Want to re-think your praise for Tesla...?

Tesla is recalling 15,000 Model X SUVs after discovering common road salt is posing serious dangers. Tesla recently discovered corrosion from road salt could cause havoc with a critical power steering mechanism on its Model X vehicles. Salt can cause the power steering assist to stop working and increase the risk of a crash.

Tesla noticed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach the power steering components. If the bolts fracture from corrosion, the power steering assist feature may be lost. The driver could still steer the vehicle, but it would be much more difficult and require more force to turn the wheel.

The recall applies to most Model X vehicles built before mid-October of 2016. Model X vehicles built after that are not affected....

That’s not relevant to this thread or the point I was making about regular software updates with added features, which Tesla provides and none of the other car companies do (with a few limited exceptions).

So no, I don’t want to debate what this one recall means to Tesla’s standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts