Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6. It was brought to my attention during an oil change that my coolant is leaking into the engine. It appears that it leaks onto the driver's side fan, as you'll see in the pictures. I was quoted $300 to fix it, which I turned down hoping to do more research and find a cheaper fix. I know little to nothing about coolant fluid or hoses, but I'm sure someone on these forums will have some good advice for me. I've taken many pictures so you can see what's happening.

My question is - is this really a $300 fix, or can I fix this on my own?

Thanks,
Mitchell B.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6. It was brought to my attention during an oil change that my coolant is leaking into the engine. It appears that it leaks onto the driver's side fan, as you'll see in the pictures. I was quoted $300 to fix it, which I turned down hoping to do more research and find a cheaper fix. I know little to nothing about coolant fluid or hoses, but I'm sure someone on these forums will have some good advice for me. I've taken many pictures so you can see what's happening.

My question is - is this really a $300 fix, or can I fix this on my own?

Thanks,
Mitchell B.
What was the 300.00 for?

Did they tell you what needed to be fixed?

From the pictures and the age of your car, the upper radiator hose appears to be the problem. Was that hose ever replaced? Is it original to the car?

If it is that old the inside may be leaking into the webbing you see sticking out from the rubber. The outside MAY look OK but the inside is probably toast.

As for the hose going to the overflow tank also looks like just age related leaking.

So 300.00 is probaly for replacement of both upper,lower and possibly the overflow tank hose. They have alot of labor with draining of coolant, replace hoses, cost of new hoses, etc.

BUT.......

If the leak is caused by the plastic radiator top inlet being cracked, you got more $ to shell out. Not sure what a new radiator costs but I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna be 300.00 bucks.

You could do it yourself if you're handy and it's just the hose replacement.

Let's see what others say.

Good pictures too.
Miker

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
^ Good synopsis Mikr.

If you want to be more certain exactly the coolant is coming out from and to isolate if it's just the hoses and not the upper radiator cap that is crimped onto the core, you can use a pressure washer or even just a water hose to wash away the accumulated crud, and then drive the car for a while, then look for if the coolant is coming from the hoses or the upper radiator top.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
^ Good synopsis Mikr.

If you want to be more certain exactly the coolant is coming out from and to isolate if it's just the hoses and not the upper radiator cap that is crimped onto the core, you can use a pressure washer or even just a water hose to wash away the accumulated crud, and then drive the car for a while, then look for if the coolant is coming from the hoses or the upper radiator top.
If you would allow me to add to this, dust some powder onto the area after drying off the pressure washing procedure. The leakage will disturb the powder and leave a perfect trail of where the leak is coming from.

Have used this method MANY times and it works great.

Miker

·
Registered
183 Posts
Run the car up to full temp on the road. park the car. wait a few minutes for pressure to build after the engine is turned off. then look for the leak.

·
Registered
183 Posts
looks like just your upper hose and clamp are shot judging by the green on the end of the hose. use a screw drive clamp when you put it back together

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Excellent pictures, I must say. Your coolant isn't "leaking into the engine"... that would make it a much worse issue... such as a bad head gasket. You have an easy fix there and $300 is a ripoff.

Like others have said, it looks like the top radiator hose and clamp, which should be easy to replace. Also, replace the smaller hose going to the overflow, or at least zip tie it firmly. If DIY, it should not cost you more than around $30-35 if you buy the hoses from an auto parts store. No need to go OEM on this one. You won't have to drain much coolant since it's at the top. Just enough to clear the hose.

Are your fluid levels right? The overflow bottle should not be overfilled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts