Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 EXL v6 is the first car I've owned with a leather interior, and I can't bear the idea that its seats might one day crack and peel. I've tried Armor All Leather Protectant wipes, but I'm not sure they do jack shit. What do you guys use?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Griots interior cleaner and Griots Leather Care.

Jay

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well first, understand they are not "real" leather.

To care for mine I wipe down often with a simple wet MF cloth. They're usually not soiled, so I don't have to clean them.

For "treatment" when I do full details, I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. I have used Lexol and it seems okay, but don't think it's actually doing anything. The water and 303 are my go-to.

I found this article very informative:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/122233-proper-finished-leather-cleaning-and-care/

Others will be in to tell you that it's a "wear" item and you'll never prevent it.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
For "treatment" when I do full details, I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. I have used Lexol and it seems okay, but don't think it's actually doing anything. The water and 303 are my go-to.

I found this article very informative:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/122233-proper-finished-leather-cleaning-and-care/
This thread pops up every month....and every month:

Our leather seats have a plastic coating,
Aerospace 303 is darn good,
Just keep them clean, and no "treatment" needed.

Leather seat thread #39:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138850

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I use Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner to clean all leather/vinyl seats. Very economical as you can dilute it 1:6 (it doesn't mention this on Autogeek). To condition or protect, I use Chemical Guys Pure Leather Conditioner or 303 Aerospace. Nothing wrong with using conditioner on these types of seats as they do still need some moisture from time to time. Just something that isn't real heavy that will just sit on top of the coating. When I use the CG PLC, I work it in, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe it good with a MF to remove any residue. Sometimes I do a 2nd dry wipe just to make sure I got all the residue and have a nice satin-matte finish. I always tell my customers to watch for residue and wipe it off if they see any...and to tell me in case I need to adjust my application.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Keep it out of the sun. UV light causes the leather to get brittle, which in turn exacerbates cracking every time you flex it getting in and out of the car. This might sound VERY odd but I've heard of people applying non-greasy 50 SPF suntan lotion, especially in the summer. It moisturizes and protects! If it doesn't hurt your skin it probably won't hurt the leatherette in our cars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
is anyone heard about Zaino z9 and z10 product? i've heard a good feedback about them, thinking try them out

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Keep it out of the sun. UV light causes the leather to get brittle, which in turn exacerbates cracking every time you flex it getting in and out of the car. This might sound VERY odd but I've heard of people applying non-greasy 50 SPF suntan lotion, especially in the summer. It moisturizes and protects! If it doesn't hurt your skin it probably won't hurt the leatherette in our cars.
I wouldn't recommend that. That is what 303 Aerospace does. It is a UV protectant. Apply it every 3 months (leather seats, dash, hard trim, door panels, etc). Every 6 months is probably enough if you keep it garaged.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that. That is what 303 Aerospace does. It is a UV protectant. Apply it every 3 months (leather seats, dash, hard trim, door panels, etc). Every 6 months is probably enough if you keep it garaged.
Me neither, have you seen what mosquito spray can do to plastic interior parts? It seems safe on human skins but eats into plastic over time.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
WDMaccord- You make a fair statement. I did not know 303 Aerospace contains UV block. Perhaps that is where those who use suntan lotion got their idea. I still suspect non-oily suntan lotion will not hurt leatherette, but if something like 303 contains UV protection and is specifically designed for leather there is no reason to use suntan lotion.

Aviography - I appreciate your comment too. However, I am not one who believes the strong chemicals in mosquito spray are safe for the skin. I would never place mosquito spray and suntan lotion in the same “safe” category.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
WDMaccord- You make a fair statement. I did not know 303 Aerospace contains UV block. Perhaps that is where those who use suntan lotion got their idea. I still suspect non-oily suntan lotion will not hurt leatherette, but if something like 303 contains UV protection and is specifically designed for leather there is no reason to use suntan lotion.

Aviography - I appreciate your comment too. However, I am not one who believes the strong chemicals in mosquito spray are safe for the skin. I would never place mosquito spray and suntan lotion in the same “safe” category.
Yes, most interior protectants have some sort of "SPF" these days. 303, Blackfire Interior Protectant, etc. Many of the leather conditioners also have UV protection...the CG leather conditioner I mention above has SPF 30. 303 is SPF 40. BF IP doesn't seem to indicate the SPF, but is very versatile (check Todd Helme's thread on it at Autopiaforums.com).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've used Lexol separate cleaner and conditioner on a leather seat cover and some motorcycle outfits and it does a great job - nice feel afterwards and no greasy feel at all.

I used an older bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class combination cleaner / conditioner on a motorcycle jacket. It cleaned well but left a greasy feeling after buffing. Not something you want with your seats.

Lexol is sold in pretty much every auto parts store around for a good reason. and no, I don't work or rep Lexol.

·
2014 Accord EXL Sedan
90 Posts
Question. So can I use lexol clean and conditioner first on the leather seats then 303? Or is that overkill and not needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used Lexol cleaner on my seats today. I wiped it off with a white terrycloth towel and the towel was brown when I was done. So it worked, no doubt.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
What part of these leather seat are top-coated with a plastic coating don't you understand? You're leather cleaner didn't work because NONE of it actually touched leather; it only touched plastic and vinyl. When your ass touches the seat, it doesn't touch leather, it touches plastic.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Question. So can I use lexol clean and conditioner first on the leather seats then 303? Or is that overkill and not needed.
I personally don't like all-in-one products for this and conditioners are typically not needed on today's coated seats. But if the product you are talking about has UV protection, it is all you need and there is no need to put 303 on top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts