Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I wrote a few times now, I just got my 2008 EX-L sedan and the leather seats are ivory in color. However, there are some blackish spots on them as they possibly have never been washed or cleaned.
Dealer told me this morning that once the dark lines appears, they are impregneted in leather and can not be cleaned off. Is that true?
Can they be brought back to newer condition?
Are cleaning/care products the same than for a leather jacket or a pair of boots?
I don't want to use something that will mess my pants and jacket with greasy or other spots or stains. Thanks!

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Lexol conditioner is good, but cleaner isnt so great. I have tan leather in my 11 coupe and I am testing different products to see which works best. Its been so cold I havent had the desire to lately though.

·
6th Gear
765 Posts
Like Gosha said, the Lexol cleaner is not so effective.

I got this general recipe for cleaning leather from a Cadillac forum. Let a bar of Dove soap (gentle exfoliating moisturizing cream) dissolve for one week in a 1/2 cup of distilled water. I have mine dissolved in one of those plastic 1-pint containers with a removable lid. The scent is light and agreeable. Apply this thickened soapy mixture to a microfiber or foam applicator pad, and rub it across the surface of the leather. It should not be harmful to the leather since it is exactly what's used to protect and moisturize your skin. Wait about a minute or so, and wipe off with another, moistened, microfiber towel. Then use Lexol conditioner to protect the cleaned leather.

Very effective on cleaning my ivory leather! The leather still looks brand-new.

·
6,322 Posts
1 part Woolite to 6 parts distilled water. Use microfibers to clean. Use favorite conditioner afterwards.

Works well on other dirty interior parts also. Esp the headliner but dab it with the above solution with terry cloth towels instead. Do not oversaturated it otherwise it may droop down on your head. :D

Another excellent cleaner is Surf City Dash Away for $10. Cleans the dash, leather. etc. Very gentle yet super effective.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm used to leather conditionner (when my motorcycle riding jacket was leather) that leave greasy residue and take 1~2 days to be absorbed and I don't want this for car's seat. How are conditionners in general now?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
1 part Woolite to 6 parts distilled water. Use microfibers to clean. Use favorite conditioner afterwards.
This is the way to go. The leather is encased in vinyl so leather conditioner never touches the leather. A vinyl conditioner like Aerospace 303 works very well and no greasy feeling. The 303 should be wiped off thoroughly, "buffed" so to speak. That's true of seats, dash, whatever.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...The leather is encased in vinyl so leather conditioner never touches the leather...
I thought you were kidding but further local discussions seem to lead to the same answer... I really was thinking to touch real leather when I was seating in my car.

So they must be maintened like if they were made out of vinyl?

Woolite is recommended but what other product is? Is diluted Simple green OK too? Others?

·
13,917 Posts
Simple Green is too strong even diluted. Gentle cleaning is the answer and Woolite/water does that. You can buy it at the grocery store.

Light cleaning: dilute 10 to 1
Medium cleaning: dilute 8 to 1
Heavy cleaning: dilute 6 to 1

I thought you were kidding but further local discussions seem to lead to the same answer... I really was thinking to touch real leather when I was seating in my car.
Not even kidding. There are some with straight leather....Ford King Ranch edition truck, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. They can still be cleaned with the Woolite mixture but do require a leather conditioner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question if you don't mind.
Would Windex be OK to clean the seats? Or is it too strong also?

I'm trying to use a product we already have in house to avoid buying something for a single purpose as my wife do not use Woolite. Thanks again!

·
13,917 Posts
It will dry them out eventually especially if it contains ammonia.

Woolite is less than $5.00 US. You asked for help, got it, then don't want to hear it! Use whatever suits you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The leather is encased in vinyl so leather conditioner never touches the leather.
Really makes me wonder why I got two big jugs of Lexol and smaller bottles of Leatherique........., they certainly don't tell you that automotive leather seats are mostly encased in vinyl.

Oh well at least I've got lots of stuff to use on my leather jackets, shoes, etc. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will dry them out eventually especially if it contains ammonia.

Woolite is less than $5.00 US. You asked for help, got it, then don't want to hear it! Use whatever suits you.
No, I just asked for a last question. I totally respect your answer; I will follow your advice and look for Woolite. Thanks again!

·
13,917 Posts

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
Wow, glad I saw this post. I feel like such a newb I was not enlightened to know we are sitting on vinyl coating. LOL at AG I had a 3 liter container of Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner in my cart. I also have Lexol Vinylex, I take it that is all I need for dash and seats in the Accord? I've heard good things about 303, I may look into buying bulk of that instead of Vinylex. Thanks for the recommendation on Amazing Roll off by the way RFTexas, got a gallon of it in my cart at AG, detailer, wheel cleaner, and engine cleaner as well.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Meguairs

I use this, got the dye out of my leather, easy to use, just rub it in (in swirls), and really rub it in, then grab a microfiber towel (I didn't have a microfiber towel for the first little while so I just used a regular rag) and wipe off any leftover cleaner. Even if you don't see any, wipe it down anyways.

·
Most Creative Username
76 Posts
I used Woolite and water and it worked wonders. It's definitely better than the Lexol cleaner.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
02-SE
356 Posts
I bought this product from a local detail shop and used it on three of the cars in the driveway with leather and I love it. It cleans amazing and doesn't leave any kind of greasy residue. It just leaves it nice and smooth like the day it came off the line. You apply it with a horsehair brush and wipe it off with a microfiber. I've used it on some cars I have detailed and nothing but good comments about how it brought back the leather and how smooth it feels.

http://www.detailsupplyonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=78&products_id=505

1 - 20 of 20 Posts