Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· 6Speed!
35 Posts
has anyone swapped out the cloth interior with leather for a 7th gen coupe including front,back and the arm rest?

idea would be much appreciated

I already began the process myself. I have a 04' accord coupe EX 2.4L that came with cloth, now i already switched the 2 interior door panels to the leather stitched ones and i change the center console armrest to the leather one as well. All thats left is the driver and passenger side seats to be switched to leather and the back rear seats. Also have to get the center console heated seats cap thats attached to the automatic gear shifter. My only conern is that the passenger seat is not power at all, so wondering when i work on that side if i have to buy an wiring harness or relay from the dealer to make that seat power when i put the leather seat? i know the driver side has power and moves up and down for now with the cloth.

· Registered
5,377 Posts
has anyone swapped out the cloth interior with leather for a 7th gen coupe including front,back and the arm rest?

idea would be much appreciated
I have a black cloth interior which looks perfect. At almost 150K, if I had leather, it would be showing a bunch of cracks by now. Honda leather just doesn't hold up that well and can "age" the interior. Just saying, think twice.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
My 03 came with leather, but I have done many interior swaps on prior and current vehicles that I own.. Find the whole interior from a junkyard, be it local or far away, and swap it in.. :thmsup:

Reactions: DraculaCM7

· Registered
1,571 Posts
I have a black cloth interior which looks perfect. At almost 150K, if I had leather, it would be showing a bunch of cracks by now. Honda leather just doesn't hold up that well and can "age" the interior. Just saying, think twice.
I have to agree with this. Leather is nice, but my '06 with 72k miles has some cracks in the seats. It's also easier to get a replacement seat cover for the cloth one if something major tears or gets damaged. I would imagine it would be hard to find some in great condition.

· Registered
437 Posts
Yep. I guess I'm one of those rare people who has leather but wishes I had cloth. I guess if the previous owner had taken better care the seats may not be cracking, not sure. I do know that all the previous Accords I have owned with cloth interiors have always held up well. I have seat covers on the front seats as I don't particularly like the feel of leather on a hot or cold day anyway.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 03 came with leather, but I have done many interior swaps on prior and current vehicles that I own.. Find the whole interior from a junkyard, be it local or far away, and swap it in.. :thmsup:
so if i get a honda from a junk yard it includes front back and an arm rest?, also i've done a little research on this topic an some discuss that wiring is the most difficult part

i know people with later gens that has leather interior an it still looks pretty good, imo you just have to take care of it

The head rest section of my rear seats are fading already. I'm on cloth with no tinted windows. I'll probably buy some mid range fitted seat covers.
yup i know what you mean, i think its the sun that causes it

· Registered
1,138 Posts
If you have a power seat, and the donor set is also power, it should plug in.. Be sure that other connections on there are also powered. The alternative is that you can get a leather seat kit from Katskinz or the like, and keep your existing seat "guts".

From what I have heard, Katskinz would be higher quality anyways. Install some Rostra heated seat kits while you have the skins off. :banana:

· 6Speed!
35 Posts
If you have a power seat, and the donor set is also power, it should plug in.. Be sure that other connections on there are also powered. The alternative is that you can get a leather seat kit from Katskinz or the like, and keep your existing seat "guts".

From what I have heard, Katskinz would be higher quality anyways. Install some Rostra heated seat kits while you have the skins off. :banana:
What about the passenger seat if its not power? Im doing the junkyard leather conversion route and my passenger side is not powered at all? What should i do? Try to get a wiring harness relay from the dealer? I know my drivers side is powered and it would be easier putting a leather powere seat in on that side.

· Registered
5,377 Posts
i know people with later gens that has leather interior an it still looks pretty good, imo you just have to take care of it
... and be garage kept. The sun will dry out the leather

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle.

If you go the JY route and end up with a power passenger seat (not sure how common those are?), be sure to keep both sides of the plug(s) and some wiring pigtail as well. Aside from any seatbelt buckle wires and/or airbag wiring, the actual powered forward/back, up/down mechanism of the seat would only require power and ground, and it is likely all else would be contained to the seat.

· 6Speed!
35 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle.

If you go the JY route and end up with a power passenger seat (not sure how common those are?), be sure to keep both sides of the plug(s) and some wiring pigtail as well. Aside from any seatbelt buckle wires and/or airbag wiring, the actual powered forward/back, up/down mechanism of the seat would only require power and ground, and it is likely all else would be contained to the seat.
So i would have to purchase a ground wiring harness relay from the dealer to make my passenger side seat powered? The passenger leather seat is in great condition no rips or cracks is powered and comes with the wires

· Registered
1,138 Posts
No. You can seek 12v power from an existing circuit, or you can run a new wire from the fuse-box. You can ground it to the floor of the car. Should not need any relays that I know of. If you are unfamiliar with 12v wiring and/or wiring in general, it may be better to seek someone local who is knowledgeable and can assist you.

I once installed a set of Durango R/T seats from a ~2005 into my 1990 Dodge Dakota. Outside of figuring out the mounting of the seat (custom brackets) which was drastically different than the Durango, I Just needed 12v power source.

· 6Speed!
35 Posts
No. You can seek 12v power from an existing circuit, or you can run a new wire from the fuse-box. You can ground it to the floor of the car. Should not need any relays that I know of. If you are unfamiliar with 12v wiring and/or wiring in general, it may be better to seek someone local who is knowledgeable and can assist you.

I once installed a set of Durango R/T seats from a ~2005 into my 1990 Dodge Dakota. Outside of figuring out the mounting of the seat (custom brackets) which was drastically different than the Durango, I Just needed 12v power source.

Thank you. I will do more research on that and i do now someone whos skilled with wiring on cars and has installed leather seats into numerous cars.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Keep in mind: aside from the seat air bag (if equipped) and seatbelt buckle connection, you should only need to run 12v power and ground to that seat.

· 6Speed!
35 Posts
Keep in mind: aside from the seat air bag (if equipped) and seatbelt buckle connection, you should only need to run 12v power and ground to that seat.
Yes ok. And both my driver and passenger side seats come with seat airbags equipped so i should be all set with that. Jus unplug the battery before installing the seats so the airbag lights dont come on correct?

· Registered
1,138 Posts
You'll need to be sure the connectors are the same, first...but I believe the airbag connectors themselves are usually separate, or at least have been in the interiors I have worked with. Not sure the best way, but I have always disconnected both sides of the battery and let it sit for 30-mins to an hour before messing with it. Some say only a few minutes, but its up to you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.