Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up all,
New here but I own a 2020 1.5 sport PWP and after about a year my steering wheel is starting to feel different in certain areas mostly where I hold it. It’s more of like a very smooth and shiny looking compared to rest of wheel I’m sure it has to do with oils and stuff from hands. Does anybody on here have any tips to get the leather shell as close to looking and feeling new again ?

·
Turbo lag
1,153 Posts
A bit of soap and water on a soft sponge or rag will return the wheel to the like-new non-shiny state.
They used magic eraser on this one, but I wouldn't since magic eraser is abrasive.

Reactions: Miker

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use Meguiars All Purpose (APC) cleaner on my leather seats, etc. Does a fantastic job of cleaning the leather, oil from your hands, dirt, jeans transfer on the seats, etc. Formulated to clean well, but also is good for the leather. Could also use a generic leather cleaner spray as well, which I imagine would do the same job. In either case, just apply to the leather on the steering wheel, agitate the spray a bit to lather it up, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel, and it will look as good as new.

·
2020 best year
4,291 Posts
A bit of soap and water on a soft sponge or rag will return the wheel to the like-new non-shiny state.
They used magic eraser on this one, but I wouldn't since magic eraser is abrasive.
Yeah, Magic Eraser is a last resort for very, very neglected leather.

Welp, at least it's not Alcantara...

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

·
2020 CBP Touring
788 Posts
I use Meguiars All Purpose (APC) cleaner on my leather seats, etc. Does a fantastic job of cleaning the leather, oil from your hands, dirt, jeans transfer on the seats, etc. Formulated to clean well, but also is good for the leather. Could also use a generic leather cleaner spray as well, which I imagine would do the same job. In either case, just apply to the leather on the steering wheel, agitate the spray a bit to lather it up, and then wipe it down with a microfiber towel, and it will look as good as new.
What's your dilution ratio? Just agitate with a very soft brush?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
my problem is that my fingernails keep catching and damaging the leather when I turn the wheel like a trucker. i have little marks around the 5 and 5 o clock positions and I hate knowing i've caused permanent damage. I clip my nails but apparently not often enough. I love the leather wheel, but i think a cover is in my near future

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think I'd use a brush. If you use warm or even hot water and a good leather cleaner such as Meguiars or Lexol you can dissolve the oils and dirt and essentially wipe them off. A brush will tend to abrade the leather. Ideally, you want to clean the leather without damaging the finish that is on it.

- Jack

·
Registered
28 Posts
my problem is that my fingernails keep catching and damaging the leather when I turn the wheel like a trucker. i have little marks around the 5 and 5 o clock positions and I hate knowing i've caused permanent damage. I clip my nails but apparently not often enough. I love the leather wheel, but i think a cover is in my near future
Have you checked out East Detailing for their Steering Wheel covers? 2018- 2019

·
2020 CBP Touring
788 Posts
I don't think I'd use a brush. If you use warm or even hot water and a good leather cleaner such as Meguiars or Lexol you can dissolve the oils and dirt and essentially wipe them off. A brush will tend to abrade the leather. Ideally, you want to clean the leather without damaging the finish that is on it.

- Jack
Oh, for sure. I appreciate it.
I'm talking a dedicated, VERY gentle interior detailing brush. Not much coarser than a makeup brush. Just using quick circular motions to very slightly agitate and lather. That's the APC method I've seen most.

It's possibly more gentle than using a dedicated leather wipe or microfiber towel.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a larger one gallon container of Meguairs APC, and the dilution ration instructions are 4:1 for Heavy and 10:1 for Medium. I use the Medium 10:1 ratio, and it works like a charm.

I don't actually use a brush, but that's because I clean my interior a lot, so it never gets so bad that I would need to use one. If you have a lot of grime and grease on yours, I would apply the APC to the steering wheel, and then agitate it with a soft cleaning brush (linked an example of the brush below) to a lather, and then wipe away with a microfiber towel. The stuff works great. As noted earlier, there are many other brands of APC out there as well as leather cleaners, and I suspect most all of them would do the job as well.

Soft Detailing Brush

·
Registered
Sport 2.0 6MT San Marino Red
34 Posts
I did a deep dive on the topic of cleaning car leather a couple of months ago. The overwhelming consensus from professionals in the business... use any household cleaner and a scrub brush. Modern leathers have a clear coat of plastic over them for protection. It is unlike the leather of several decades ago that needed to be conditioned and babied to stay looking good. Modern leather basically just gets dirty, and you can be fairly aggressive in cleaning it. Since that discovery, I have cleaned all my car and couch leather with a spray cleaner and a scrub brush. No damage and it looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts