Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really like the feel and thickness of a leather wrapped steering wheel, which my 2015 Accord EX Sedan doesn't have. Has anyone tried a leather wrap? I'm thinking about this one:
Honda 2015 Accord Steering Wheel Cover|Wheelskins One Color Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover

My only concern is if it make it too thick...I'd like to get around the same thickness as the Sport/EX-L steering wheels, but I'd rather not spend the money to buy and install the entire steering wheel.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,221 Posts
Don't do it, you will be disappointed. The oem leather wheel is about $135 or so, just swap it out. It will be ten times better with comfort and aesthetical look.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put a Wheelskin on my '14 EX; it will make your wheel much thicker, but you get used to it, and I actually prefer a beefier wheel. The stitching isn't that hard - I've done about 5 of them now - just wrap some duct tape on your first two fingers. It's not as clean a look as the OEM, as the stitching kinda clumps up where the seam is, and you can't get perfect where the wheel spokes are.

I now have a '15 EX-L, and I like the clean look of the OEM leather, but wish it was a bit thicker.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
486 Posts
Wheelskins was what I used back in the day when I was driving a 70 Plymouth Valiant and needed to impress the chicks that I was super cool because I had a leather steering wheel.

Nah, it didn't really work all that well.

But those wheels had thinner spokes and the wrap just fit better around the spokes.

Look at the pics on the wheelskin site. Nothing to brag about on the modern steering wheel.

If you gotta do it, like to protect the wheel for whatever reason or maybe cover up something stupid you did to the wheel, then Wheelskins is definitely the brand to go. If you want a leather steering wheel that actually looks good... buy the OEM.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
486 Posts
I now have a '15 EX-L, and I like the clean look of the OEM leather, but wish it was a bit thicker.
I think most of us would like a thicker wheel. I want a soft-squishy thicker wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't do it, you will be disappointed. The oem leather wheel is about $135 or so, just swap it out. It will be ten times better with comfort and aesthetical look.
I cant agree as I felt the OEM look is lacking with a leather wrap. I used LKQ liquidators off ebay and managed to find a refurbished leather one for $70. ah auto parts in cali has good used salvage parts on hand. now if you really want a new one you can try majestic Honda.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I cant agree as I felt the OEM look is lacking with a leather wrap. I used LKQ liquidators off ebay and managed to find a refurbished leather one for $70. ah auto parts in cali has good used salvage parts on hand. now if you really want a new one you can try majestic Honda.
Same here just got one off eBay for 68 shipped.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You bought what for $70?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Where is Ah auto parts?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Where is Ah auto parts?
Ah parts is located in Rancho cordova california. I got my ex-l steering wheel, tex shift knob, and my rL calipers from them. They will haggle a bit at least in person and you can view inventory online at ahparts.com. Shipping is fairly reasonable as well. That said they want $125+ for any 9th gen wheel. $150 from majestic new so...

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want the OEM look, I highly recommend ordering the leather steering wheel for the sport, touring, or EX-L (all three are the same P/N).

I wanted the leather wheel on my '14 EX sedan, so I ordered the OEM leather wheel and changed it myself. I had never changed a steering wheel or messed with an airbag before, and it was a straightforward swap and took me about an hour. I took my time and was careful not to scratch anything, and it really wasn't hard. Seems like there may even be a youtube video you can use for guidance.

Once you remove the old wheel, just set the new wheel and the old one side by side and swap the switches and harness out, and then install the new wheel, plug everything up, and reinstall the airbag.

You can try leather covers, but I don't think you'll find a cheaper way to get the OEM look than swapping out the wheel.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a Wheelskins on my 2011 Prius. It definitely looks 'aftermarket' as the cover has to go over the spokes. Lacing it up is a pain in the butt. It's good quality leather though. Had it on for 2 years. It covers up the plastic sandpaper feel of the oem wheel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I really like the feel and thickness of a leather wrapped steering wheel, which my 2015 Accord EX Sedan doesn't have. Has anyone tried a leather wrap? I'm thinking about this one:
Honda 2015 Accord Steering Wheel Cover|Wheelskins One Color Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover

My only concern is if it make it too thick...I'd like to get around the same thickness as the Sport/EX-L steering wheels, but I'd rather not spend the money to buy and install the entire steering wheel.
How about this? Anyone do it, what do you think?

13 15 Honda Accord 9th Generation Hand Stitched Leather Steering Wheel Wrap | eBay

·
Registered
701 Posts
The leather on my v6 accord is rather thin, also too many wrinkles at the inseams.

Wrinkles are "natural" but i dont see them on lexus, audi, mercedes or bmw leather wheels hmmm

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks nice. I put in a molded dash kit on my steering wheel so not sure I could tuck the leather in properly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts