Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Planning a month long vacation, ideally I would ask someone to drive or at least start it once a week while I am gone but not possible this time.

Any tips on what to do before I leave? Is it enough to unhook the battery (black wire) or do I need to get a maintainer?

Thanks!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Hi,

Planning a month long vacation, ideally I would ask someone to drive or at least start it once a week while I am gone but not possible this time.

Any tips on what to do before I leave? Is it enough to unhook the battery (black wire) or do I need to get a maintainer?

Thanks!
Park it, lock it. Done.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Unless you are going to store the car for a year or more there is nothing to do except lock the door and enjoy your vacation.

·
Registered
228 Posts
make sure to disconnect the battery

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Inflate the tires to 50 psi, lessen the amount of tire flat spotting over that time frame, granted the flat spotting will slowly go away once you start driving, but night as well do what you can to reduce the effect.

Just don't forget to reduce the pressure down to 32 psi or so before you start driving again

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
make sure to disconnect the battery
Why the car is only going to sit for a month? Cars sit on dealers lots for more than a month without being driven. A waste of time and effort in my opinion.

Inflate the tires to 50 psi, lessen the amount of tire flat spotting over that time frame, granted the flat spotting will slowly go away once you start driving, but night as well do what you can to reduce the effect.

Just don't forget to reduce the pressure down to 32 psi or so before you start driving again
The tires will not get a flat spot in a month. See comment above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that the car will be parked in the garage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yall post some funny stuff,

Just locked the door and enjoy yourself

You dont need to disconnect the battery etc...

Cars sit long than that sometimes before they are sold

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
The tires will not get a flat spot in a month. See comment above.
You are generalizing, some tires won't, some will to a small degree, both sets of my Bridgestone Potenza RE-960/970 all-season Ultra Performance tires will flat spot a little bit from just parking overnight, takes a few kilometers to smooth out.

Annoying? Somewhat, but I've gotten used to it.

FWIW, what I described is temporary flat-spotting, not permanent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wondering if any of you have left the car for a month without starting/driving?

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
My summer toy car is left un-started and un-driven for 5 months through the winter, I do a few things though besides the 50 psi in tires on foam mats, but that's limited to add fuel stabilizer in the half full fuel tank before filling it up and drive for a bit to make sure the stabilizer is mixed in well, I also put a battery tender on the battery which you can too if you have a wall receptacle in the garage.

Some people will leave the car in gear on a manual transmission car and dis-engage the parking brake, I've never done that and never had any issue with brake pads sticking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I forgot to mention that the car will be parked in the garage.
Only thing I would do is fill it up with gas before you park it. With the temperatures dropping lately, you may get condensation in the tank - probably not very much at all, but it's good to keep the tank full.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I also heard it's to add a bottle of the octane stabilizer in to the gas tank when storing car for a long period of time or is that some BS?

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
84 Posts
Only thing I would do is fill it up with gas before you park it. With the temperatures dropping lately, you may get condensation in the tank - probably not very much at all, but it's good to keep the tank full.
I agree.
plus
The only thing I can think of hurting your accord is the ethanol in the gas. Add some sta-bil to the tank. Sta-bil now makes treatment just for ethanol gas. Don't add more than is recommended.

I hate ethanol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
if the cars dirty clean it after that locked the door and you're done
Good point. Made me also think about removing any food you might have in the car. Even though you're storing it in a garage, rodents will find their way in with a month to scurry around.

Neighbour had her car parked outside overnight with a cucumber left in the trunk, opened it next morning to find a mouse :dunno:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Only thing I'd care about for a month away is the battery could drain to the point of not having enough juice to crank. If it's parked in your home then it means nothing since you can jump it yourself. In a public space, then a good option is a solar powered panel laying on the dash to trickle charge the unit.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
After a certain amount of days, the computers in the car start losing their memory (seat/radio memory I mean) to preserve power. If you can, hook a battery charger up to the vehicle to keep the battery charged. Letting the battery die can reduce the age of it, my TSX's battery only lasted 2 years because I left it sit for a week a few times without a charger hooked up. Also, fuel stabilizer is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any recommendation on battery tender/maintainer?

Seems like I have Nitrogen in my tires, do I still need to increase the pressure?

Here is my current list:
- Car wash
- Full gas tank
- Fuel stabilizer
- Battery tender/maintainer
- Tire pressure - Nitrogen (Optional?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts